Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mourning the death of TCM as we know it...

NylonLisa

Well I do know there is more than Andy Hardy and Frank Capra, but today's showing is a waste! Also I don't feel that's it's appropriate to refer to posters as a "whiner". Personally, I don't post very often only when I feel strongly about a certain subject, which this one is to me. Yes I have found other things to do and watch, mostly PBS and other DVD's, but I miss the old programing on TCM. Whether admitted or not there has been a dramatic change... So I guess they figure that catering to the younger set, which is how all marketing is based will make up for their the base that they will probably loose. Since most of pay a premium for the channel and if its not entertaining then why should one pay for it.

Whether admitted or not there has been a dramatic change.

December alone will have 18 Westerns, 13 "Adventure" movies, and *SEVENTY-SIX MUSICALS.* And that's not even counting 10 straight hours of "That's Entertainment" and "That's Dancing". If TCM were programming even more mindless movies like that in The Good Old Days, I'm glad I wasn't around.

But in truth I'm not complaining about Westerns or "Adventures" or *SEVENTY-SIX MUSICALS,* because I realize three things:

1. I'm not the only person in the world.

2. Plenty of other people will thrill to those *SEVENTY-SIX MUSICALS,* and their taste deserves to be catered to every bit as much as mine.

3. There will be plenty of other months with disproportionate numbers of Crime movies, noirs, pre-codes, better movies after 1970, foreign movies, silents, many TCM premieres, and adult dramas from all decades that don't involve dance routines or people breaking out in song for no particular reason.

Then I'll be happy, and I hope that other people won't feel they have to begrudge me my pleasure.

And a Happy Thanksgiving to all, even Mickey Rooney. :) God Bless America, and God Bless TCM.

AndyM108 said:

"Whether admitted or not there has been a dramatic change.

December alone will have 18 Westerns, 13 "Adventure" movies, and SEVENTY-SIX MUSICALS. And that's not even counting 10 straight hours of "That's Entertainment" and "That's Dancing". If TCM were programming even more mindless movies like that in The Good Old Days, I'm glad I wasn't around.

But in truth I'm not complaining about Westerns or "Adventures" or SEVENTY-SIX MUSICALS, because I realize three things:

1. I'm not the only person in the world.

2. Plenty of other people will thrill to those SEVENTY-SIX MUSICALS, and their taste deserves to be catered to every bit as much as mine.

3. There will be plenty of other months with disproportionate numbers of Crime movies, noirs, pre-codes, better movies after 1970, foreign movies, silents, many TCM premieres, and adult dramas from all decades that don't involve dance routines or people breaking out in song for no particular reason.

Then I'll be happy, and I hope that other people won't feel they have to begrudge me my pleasure.

And a Happy Thanksgiving to all, even Mickey Rooney. :) God Bless America, and God Bless TCM."

AndyM, your post made me laugh out loud - great use of humor.

Let me just point out that a large number of those SEVENTY-SIX MUSICALS are due to the fact that Fred Astaire is the star of the month, and what classic movie fan doesn't enjoy Fred Astaire's dancing?

AndyM, your post made me laugh out loud - great use of humor.

Let me just point out that a large number of those SEVENTY-SIX MUSICALS are due to the fact that Fred Astaire is the star of the month, and what classic movie fan doesn't enjoy Fred Astaire's dancing?

A contestant on You Bet Your Life once told Groucho that she came from a family of 17 children, and when Groucho's eyebrows nearly had their gears stripped from popping up and down in amazement, the woman said, *"Oh, my daddy loves children."*

To which Groucho replied, *"Well, I love pancakes, but I haven't got closetsful of them."*

Similarly, my personal quota on Fred Astaire's pancake musicals is about one a year, but from all accounts he was a good guy and the best pool player in Hollywood*, and I'm not begrudging his millions of fans his SOTM tribute. They'll get around to Ida Lupino or George Sanders one of these years to make up for it.

*A clear sign of character in my book.

Ida Lupino has already been Star of the Month. Either June or July 2007, I think.

You're right. I checked, and Lupino was SOTM in June of 2007, before I began my saturation viewing. Also back in September of 1997. So since she hasn't been totally neglected, I'll say that the next ones should go to the *TOTALLY* overlooked George Sanders (who hasn't even had a SUTS day) and Susan Hayward (who at least had a SUTS day in 2006).

The only explanation I can see for Sanders' omission is that someone at TCM has a religious objection to suicide, but then look at all the terrific films of his that they've shown just in the past few years. Easily enough for a SOTM tribute.

*Rage in Heaven (1941)*

*The Whole Truth (1958)*

*Hangover Square (1945)*

*The Last Voyage (1960)*

*The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947)*

*Quiet, Please---Murder (1942)*

*All About Eve (1950)*

*Foreign Correspondent (1940)*

*Confessions of a Nazi Spy (1940)*

*The Lodger (1944)*

*I Can Get It For You Wholesale (1951)*

*While The City Sleeps (1956)*

*A Shot in the Dark (1964)*

*Lured (1947)*

*Witness to Murder (1964)*

*Five Golden Hours (1960)*

*This Land Is Mine (1943)*

*The Bitter Waters (1956)*

*Death of a Scoundrel (1956)*

*The Light Touch (1952)*

That's at least 20 regular feature length films (I've probably missed a few), and then there are also these:

The Saint Strikes Back (1939)

The Saint in London (1939)

The Saint?s Double Trouble (1940)

The Saint Takes Over (1940)

The Saint in Palm Springs (1941)

The Saint?s Vacation (1941)

The Falcon Takes Over (1942)

A Date With the Falcon (1941)

The Gay Falcon (1942)

The Falcon?s Brother (1942)

At least you could have mentioned Hayward before Sanders. I'm constantly having to fight off newly mentioned people.

*This probably just comes down to taste,* (emphasis added) but IMO Sanders' movies were for the most part more interesting than Hayward's; he was in far more films overall; and while his looks precluded him from playing romantic leads he was certainly a lot more than your generic "supporting role" actor in plenty of his films. What would All About Eve, Death of a Scoundrel, Witness to Murder, The Light Touch, The Whole Truth, Journey to Italy, The Lodger, or Foreign Correspondent have been without Sanders' presence, just to name a few? That's not a knock against Hayward, who definitely deserves a SOTM as well, but at least she did have a SUTS day.

i agree with you what is with all the new films - yes there are some great things being done today and after the 50's but classic means classic and to become a classic of anything you must endure time - only that is accomplished with aging - so the older films are the only classics that have endured to this time - long live Garbo, Crawford Bogart Davis

and all the classic ones!

> i agree with you what is with all the new films - yes there are some great things being done today and after the 50's but classic means classic and to become a classic of anything you must endure time - only that is accomplished with aging - so the older films are the only classics that have endured to this time - long live Garbo, Crawford Bogart Davis and all the classic ones!

Then please explain to me why since the inception of TCM has there always been post 1960, 1970, 1980's films on the channel? Of course you will just reply I think that I must be wrong somehow....

Now we have seen the inclusion of 1990's and some 2000's films also, but not as many as the 1960's through the 1980's.

As has been explained many, many times before, the word classic does not always defined by the age of a film. You of all people should realize this.

Edited by: fxreyman on Dec 1, 2013 6:15 PM

Maybe we should just leave out the words classic, old, and new, and show lists of our favorite actors, whose films we would like to see more of on TCM, such as:

Abbott & Costello

Adolphe Menjou

Al Jolson

Alan Ladd

Alice White

Alida Valli

Ann Dvorak

Ann Harding

Ann Sothern

Anna May Wong

Anne Shirley

Anny Ondra