Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mourning the death of TCM as we know it...

>My post was in reaction to what NylonLisa said about poster making things up.

Some posters do make things up. They know that most people won't take the time to research their false statement.

But because of my experience in the news business, I sometimes catch them making things up and I ask them for a source of their information, and they can't give one, because there isn't any.

And then they get mad at me, such as when you got mad at me and said you would never speak to me again. :)

willbefree wrote:

<< Okay, one great movie in 6 months almost makes up for the rest:

The Big Steal.

Never saw it before, whatta movie.

mark, did you see it? Yowza! >>

I'm waiting to *see* "The Invisible Woman" (1940)

tumblr_kt72zuFUOe1qz72v7o1_500.jpg

woman2.jpg

>But because of my experience in the news business, I sometimes catch them making things up and I ask them for a source of their information, and they can't give one, because there isn't any.

Yeah, what a coincidence here! I seem to recall a few instances in the past where I'VE questioned some of YOUR "sources" and after YOU'VE made what I felt were some rather odd comments, Fred ol' boy.

>And then they get mad at me, such as when you got mad at me and said you would never speak to me again. :)

And coincidence AGAIN here, as YOU then got mad at ME for that, and then placed me on your "Ignore List".

(..."funny" about all these "coincidences" here, ain't it?!...and "funny" AGAIN, as you won't be able to read what I just wrote here because of this...yep, life is just chock-full of "funny coincidences", ain't it!...and sorry folks, I JUST couldn't resist pointing out all these here "funny coincidences"!)

LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't think TCM has changed that much over the years.

As of late, with my resting a lot from chemo, I've had it on almost constantly because it both entertains and takes my mind off of things.

I don't know if it's me, but have there been a lot of repeated airings of movies lately? I just saw a promo for Auntie Mame tonight, and I could swear it was shown a couple of weeks ago. Must be me. I' m not complaining, but I was just wondering.

Honestly, I love TCM. Do I like the new pastel color scheme? Nope, but I love the new font they use. And while I wish they'd use the previous Silent Sunday Cinema intro again, at least they added Metropolis and Buster Keaton to the new intro. :)

Like many have said, as long there are no commercial breaks, I'll remain a loyal fan

gary

Edited by garyea because auto-correct thought Buster was "blister". Sigh...

Death of TCM?

Not to TCM but to me there shall be!

Why? No one asked but I get to voice it.

Last Night was the cake for me.

2 words actually: Alec Baldwin

Now the particulars.

I can't stand Mankiewicz. His smugness is typical of his liberalism, which wouldn't make his ancestor proud to see him spout his drivel.. I'm still watching a new episode of The Essentials each week with a pregnant Drew Barrymore. It's not the fact that I DO get to see re-runs of the same movie now within 2-3 weeks like this topic was mentioning, It's the fact that MY Sat. Bill has me PAYING EXTRA for this channel and I've reached my limit. I can and shall drop my service and spend the $112/mo. on DVD's and just be done with it.

Pretty much everyone knows Hollywood is overflowing like a sewer of rats with Liberals, but bringing back Baldwin was the final straw for me. Look around these last 2 days of Duck Dynasty should let you know that AMERICA has reached a limit and has decided to speak out.

Ben I wouldn't stop to dribble on you if you were on fire. How you make a living off of this gig is a miracle. But then again, you're a communist masquerading as a human.

Last sentence is too mention that I'll be watching to see how long my post remains visible, because TCM is KNOWN to edit that which makes them squirm uncomfortably.

>It's the fact that MY Sat. Bill has me PAYING EXTRA for this channel and I've reached my limit. I can and shall drop my service and spend the $112/mo. on DVD's and just be done with it.

Hi Louise, :P Welcome to the TCM message board.

I think you stated the real problem right there.... the fact that we have to pay so much money to our cable and sat companies just to receive TCM.

This is not TCM's fault, in my opinion, but it does make the situation worse when TCM shows a bunch of newer movies and they stop showing many of the old classics from the 1920s-50s, such as like what happened during the past few months.

I wish we could all work together to do something to force the cable companies to reduce their fees. I DO NOT NEED 200 channels THAT I NEVER WATCH. I need only about 5 cable/sat channels.... TCM, two news channels, two documentary channels. That's all I need. And when TCM shows newer movies so often in prime time, I need the Old TCM back again.

Anyway, please join us in our lively daily discussions. You are certainly not alone here. :)

Oh, and just disregard any cyber-bullies who might try to insult you because of your personal opinions. :)

Fred

I love Ben Mankiewicz!

A great counterpoint to Osborne and he's a sly wit and raconteur plus has Hollywood antecedents.

I have no beef with TCM and their schedule or choices.

It's the best free thing I've ever received since I got a library card when I was seven.

I think their choices of programming are mostly impeccable and cover the gamut of movie classics and non-classics, even if they do sometimes show a few films too often for some folks' tastes.

They are showing tonight, one of the greatest films ever made, in my opinion..."Au Hasard Balthazar" which is NEVER shown on television and I bet the general public have mostly never even heard of it.

Any channel which shows that movie is A-Okay with me for time immemorial.

I would not complain about getting a gratis Cordon Bleu meal, just because the napkin was a bit wrinkled.

Oh, and just disregard any cyber-bullies who might try to insult you because of your personal opinions. :)

Fred

Yes. Because divisive political rancor freely exchanged on a film lovers board is the best way to encourage civil discourse and engender feelings of personal respect and goodwill.

Some people define "bullying" as to whom gets or doesn't get offended by what is or isn't on the same side of their own fences. Public internet message boards shouldn't be so provincial.

So, come on Fred: Some members were either offended or taken aback by a few comments. They registered their opinion. Hardly bullying.

Thanks for making such fine points.

While I understand Fred's concerns about TCM's programming devoting too much time on post 1969 movies, I can't understand how anyone could 'high-five' that prior post or the poster that made it.

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Dec 20, 2013 6:36 PM

> This is not TCM's fault, in my opinion, but it does make the situation worse when TCM shows a bunch of newer movies and they stop showing many of the old classics from the 1920s-50s, such as like what happened during the past few months.

I wish I had a dollar for every time you wrote something like this. I'd be wealthy!

What I clearly do not understand is how you can continue to go on like you have whenever you post stuff like this. Do you really believe that "TCM shows more newer films than they stop showing old classics from the 1920s-50s"?

The past few months has seen a slight, and I mean a SLIGHT increase in newer films being shown, but most of that was due to the Story of Film series that was shown each Monday evening. And I am sure that in addition to newer films being shown during that promotion other normal instances of newer films were being shown as well. Nothing at all unusual with this. Happens each and almost every month. Although January and February seem to be showing many more pre 1960 films.

I can understand where someone who only wants the channel to show what they themselves consider "classic" films from before 1960 might think that an increase of post 1960 films are being scheduled, but that was simply not the case. And you should know better.

I am amazed when I see you and several others who write here on the message boards agreeing with newer members here when they themselves start asking those age old questions about why so many newer films are being shown on what is basically a classic film channel. And you and those others jump right into the fray agreeing with the new poster's questions and thereby opening up yet another Pandora's Box of replies.

especially from those of us that are NOT so much interested in arguing with you but who are more interested in setting the record straight. Each and every time you come on here to argue what you believe is a fact, that TCM is changing it's format or it is changing the composition of the age of the movies it is showing, some of us have to step in and try to persuade or calm you from what you think is happening isn't really happening at all.

There is no evidence that TCM is now or has in the past or will in the future go the way of AMC. Newer films and the introduction of commercials. Not going to happen here at TCM City.

So many buttons to push, so little time. . . . .

Smugness is a quality of conservatives, who know they are right about everything. Insecure self-loathing is the hallmark of liberals.

So, if I understand correctly, if someone unloads bigoted, hate-filled sewage on the message boards, they are simply expressing a sincere opinion, and exercising their free speech rights. But if some other one has the temerity to ridicule their outpourings, they are monstrous cyber-bullies.