Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM what are you thinking???!!!

laurelnhardy

I thought i'd sit down and watch an old classic movie tonight.

I hit the guide button and "Gladiator" is on. It's a movie from 2000!!!!

Then "The Story of Film" with interviews from directors of 1990's movies, then it's "The Piano" from 1993!!! After that, "Reservoir Dogs" from 1992!!!!!!

Why is TCM showing all of these "newer" movies??

I know they aren't running out of 20's, 30's, 40's, and 50's movies!!

If they would just show a third of the movies that i've requested over

the years that they've NEVER shown, it would take up at least 48 hrs.

TCM, PLEASE stick to showing 1920's-1960's movies only!!!

Let these other channels like Starz, Retro, Sundance, etc show the

1970's to present movies!!!

Please don't screw up a good thing!!

WAIT! Ya know, I THINK I might have just figured out how to satisfy all these sorts of complaints which keep popping up around here!

Okay, is everybody listenin' up here, 'cause HERE'S what ya do:

(1) Locate your TV's remote control

(2) Locate and press the "Menu" button on the aforementioned remote control

(3) Locate and select the "Color Value" selection on the aforementioned Menu...NO dummy, NOT the "Color TINT" selection, the "Color VALUE" selection...yeah, THAT'S it...you got it.

(4) Using the Left or Right buttons move the indicator on the little "Color Value" scale to where no color is showing on whatever you're watching.

(5) Sit back and enjoy very well made movies in B&W but which were produced in more modern times and thus were actually filmed in color, though NOW giving you the "FEEL" that they made back in the studio era of the '30s, '40s and '50s.

(...well, it's either THAT or there IS that OTHER button on your remote control which reads "Off"...but if you hit THAT one, you won't see anything on your TV set at all, of course)

The Dargo B&W method only works for the film's appearance. Once the actors open their potty mouths, the illusion is ruined.

I think a film's dialogue has a lot to do with it becoming a classic. I don't like swearing or sex scenes in film which is why I watch older film & Indian film, although I noticed kissing is creeping into those.

>TCM is showing the movie The Holiday, a 2006 film

HA! I saw this as a special "preview" film before it was released for audience response. I don't recall a thing about it except when one of the women opened the door, the shot went to her jerk of a boyfriend standing there- an audience member shouted out, "****" and the entire auditorium burst out in laughter.

TCM pandering the a younger audience showing new films EVERYONE has already seen, films that have been available at Netflix of the DVD bin at Walmart for years. What a foolish waste of time and effort trying to get a younger audience who'll never sit through a real classic film.....

TCM pandering the a younger audience showing new films EVERYONE has already seen, films that have been available at Netflix of the DVD bin at Walmart for years. What a foolish waste of time and effort trying to get a younger audience who'll never sit through a real classic film.....

Maybe you've seen all those newer films that occasionally show up on TCM, but I sure haven't, and I'm glad to be exposed to them. I don't subscribe to any of the premium movie channels, and I won't sit through any movie that's interrupted by commercials.

I can and do get many newer (and many older) movies from Netflix, but on Netflix there's a turnaround time of 4 or 5 days per movie, not to mention a long waiting period for some of them.

And if you want to talk about movies that EVERYONE has seen, you might want to begin with Fred Astaire month. If I had a hundred bucks for every time Fred and Ginger have danced across my TV screen via TCM, I could buy a seat on the New York Stock Exchange.

I'm not complaining about Fred and Ginger, but then that's because unlike some people here, I don't expect TCM to cater to my personal tastes alone. And BTW if at 69 I'm considered to be part of the "younger audience", I can only hope to keep it that way for about the next 30 years. ;)

>Ah, the weekly complaint thread...

"WEEKLY", obrien??? Seems to me to be a whole lot more frequent than THAT lately.

But hey, yesterday I noticed in another one of these kind of threads that even FREDCDOBBS seems to be mellowing about all this lately!

(...why, you could have knocked me down with a feather when I read THAT!!!) LOL

>If it werent for complaint threads, there'd be little going on the boards..

Oh, I dunno about THAT, Hibi!

I mean, just goin' on right NOW we've got threads about Fred, Ward...ummm...no not THIS guy..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-pxuFgkfIV05Eev4AiBZ

...I meant Fred ASTAIRE and Ward BOND goin' on...and a whole SLEW of OTHER topics. ;)

> I noticed kissing is creeping into those.

LORDY! Next thing you know, they'll have movies where they show women's ANKLES!!

But I agree, GLADIATOR does seem out of sorts for TCM. Maybe they should have waited another 10 years or so.

There also might be another money making market that Dargo could cash in on, if he'd kept quiet. DECOLORIZED movies!

Instead of adding color to old B&W classics, take the color OUT of newer movies to please the B&W crowd.( also, use CGI to add clothes to some of the cast, and re-dub some of the dialouge with "darns", "hecks", "fudges" and "sonofaguns" for some of our more sensitive viewers ;) ).

Sepiatone

Edited by: Sepiatone on Dec 3, 2013 12:46 PM

Yea, how many times do we have to remind people about the Story of Film series.

NOW, I can see why fans of American studio era movies do NOT welcome this series. It does lead to a lot of unique movies (i.e. movies TCM doesn't normally show).

Even I got confused last night when I saw Russell Crowe on the screen. In fact I hit the remote again since I believed I must have put in the wrong station number. I didn't watch the movie since I have seen it before.

While I enjoyed the series and many of the foreign movies shown that I had never seen before, I'll admit I'm glad the series is ending since I really don't think movies made in the last 15 or so years "fit" the TCM brand.

I tried giving Hudsucker a chance last night but I only lasted about half an hour. The whole thing seemed so silly and stupid to me. :)

Now, if it had been My Man Godfrey, that one I would have liked, although it is silly and stupid. :)

I wonder what the difference is? Abbott and Costello are silly and stupid, but I like them too. :)

Oh well.

The Gladiator started off ok, and I noticed some high quality wardrobes, sets, set decorations, and good photography, except that the scenes tended to be mainly of one color each. A lot of blue scenes, a lot of orange and yellow scenes, and other colors, but not like old 3-strip Technicolor, where all the different colors were all in the same scenes together. :)

There was a brief battle scene, with lots of blood and guts. (barf), and then everyone sat around in tents talking about how great Rome is..... and they did that for about 40 minutes, then I bailed out.

Films like The Last Days of Pompii, the silet Ben Hur, and Sign of the Cross got the "Rome is great" stuff down to a good watchable length of about 5 to 10 minutes, and then the real story began. I don't need to see people talking about "Rome is great" for 40 minutes before we even begin to find out what the main story is about. This is a case of a 1-1/2 movie stretched out to about 3 hours.

Anyway, I got to see some of Hudsucker and Gladiator. Enough for me.

Now let's see The Last Days of Pompii, Ben Hur 1925, and Sign of the Cross, especially the milk bath scene. :)

>I don't like swearing or sex scenes in film which is why I watch older film & Indian film, although I noticed kissing is creeping into those.

I really don't care to see a man kissing a good looking woman in a modern film. It's like the man in the film is saying to me, "Sorry Fred, but I've got her now, and you don't. Yaaaah!"

Strange as it might seem, I'd rather see a really cute Jean Harlow film, with her smiling at the camera lens. I pretend the lens is me. But when there is another guy in the room, all I can think of is I wish he would leave. :)

>The difference is, for you, that MY MAN GODFREY is from the '30s, while HUDSUCKER is from the '80s.

So, what's the difference?

Personally, I think the 30s comedies show people who are kinder, more human, more like my own friends and relatives. While 80s+ comedies show people who are more harsh, unkind, rough, like a bunch of Nazis or modern-day hoodlums trying to make a comedy film.

This is just my opinion. What is yours? :)

The guest programmer's choosing of two 2009 films because he chose it that way and the fact that The Holiday is being shown because it's simply a Christmas movie are no excuses for being shown on TCM. What do you think they have TBS and TNT for? Why do you think the word "classic" is spelled out in bold, capital letters under the TCM logo?

Don't worry the Story of Film series is ending soon (or maybe it is over already).

So TCM will return to showing North By North West and other repeats over and over again.

Also, how old does a movie have to be to be 'classic' in your opinion?

I ask because if a film has to be a certain number of years old to be 'classic' than someday in the future movies released in 2009 can be called 'classic'.

I would like TCM to show mostly Studio Era movies, regardless of if they are 'classic' or not. (but to cut down on the repeats and show Studio Era movies they have never shown or show rarely).

Personally, I think the 30s comedies show people who are kinder, more human, more like my own friends and relatives.

Well, it is true that in the 30's movies they gave out a lot more with *"You dirty rat!"* and a lot less with *"You 12 letter word for the incest that dares not speak its name!"* while they pumped multiple rounds of machine gun bullets into their chosen targets. We were *so* much nicer back then! ;)

And oh, yes. Back then those gentlemen gangsters never stepped out without first adjusting their coats and ties. Like Don Costello said in The Blue Dahlia, there's ethics in every profession.