Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
laurelnhardy

2002-2006 films AREN'T classic movies!!!!!

Well, if you want to see an old movie tonight, you'd better watch before 7pm cst. From 7p to 5a it's all movies from 2002 to 2006!!!

Who the heck is picking these films, an executive's 18 yr old kid, or a

young celebrity??

Hundreds of thousands of obscure classic movies in TCM's vault and

they're back to showing newer movies again.

Some say that TCM is showing these newer films to appeal to the new

generation. I say, get your kids off of there Ipads, laptops, and Xbox 360's and introduce them to some great old comedy classics and they'll be hooked just like i was at an early age. I was just seven years old when I got hooked on old classic movies. I saw, "It Happened One Night" on PBS' evening classic movie. I liked it so much i immediately wanted to see it again. (Too bad VCRs hadn't yet been invented) Then, not long after, I saw a Laurel and Hardy short on PBS' Sunday morning movie. I was instantly hooked. I couldn't wait until Sunday morning to see a LnH short. That's when I was introduced to Abbott and Costello. I saw LnH's "Music Box" followed by AnC's "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" After that, old movies were all I wanted to see.

So, if you're as passionate about old movies as I am, speak up and let TCM know how you feel before TCM turns out to be another MTV, you know, that channel that used to show music videos. If we don't speak up, we'll wake up one day, turn on TMC, and it will be some new movie with commercials.

I see nothing wrong with TCM showing a movie from 2006 just as long as it's 50 yrs. from now.

The movies for this evening are part of the: The Story of Film theme of which this is the conclusion.

The series has brought us many wonderful movies from all eras of making movies. I have no inside details but I believe it is logical to assume that the license to air the series required TCM to pay for all episodes.

I believe that it is unfortunate that you are unable to appreciate spectacular movies simply because they do not fit into your personal definition of the word "classic".

Laurelnhardy: Have you seen any of these newer films???? I have not and am intrigued. How do you know they are not Instant Classics. Read this gushing review by the famed Roger Ebert of Russian Ark and tell me it does not sound terrific.

http://www.imdb.com/offsite/?page-action=offsite-rogerebert&token=BCYq5pxgcKl7UZEVpqittIBOVzFM1W%2FQT%2Fcm6231xgdbDUdw72MNUw4njVQePYEVDaE7TNpE%2Bvr5%0D%0ANGRbKJDAVEkAqcyXWgic8ff1ajXaNcC5X2wnjZppxzM3VTGszfcBwM218uBgrzP%2FaOTikuWe1%2BqG%0D%0A%2B7iVmHuSTjQD9U0Y4SKpGsSYvixjQplvpJ961VbonqqjY0Tv%2BrRfpH5vwn7U9cj%2Fz1wcbrQA960I%0D%0AYMG6fZhWF5Y%3D%0D%0A

Wow, this did not take you too long. I mean, last Monday, December 2, you started the following thread about pretty much the same subject:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=172012&tstart=0&messageID=8819251#8819251

"TCM what are you thinking ???!!!

1327 views with 50 replies.

Hmmmm..... couldn't just post another reply there could you? Had to go and start yet another thread about the same darned topic. What is it with you people!!!

> What is it with you people!!!

If you're talking about Laurel and Hardy I have to say I love those chaps

:)

> I mean, last Monday, December 2, you started the following thread about pretty much the same subject:

At least they (Laurel and Hardy) are consistent. ROFL

Well we have explained how the Story of Film series lead to the showing of movies (foreign, recent movies, etc..), that TCM doesn't typically show.

But that doesn't prevent people wondering and complaining about the same thing, over and over and over again.

> If we don't speak up, we'll wake up one day, turn on TMC, and it will be some new movie with commercials.

I hope I never wake up one day and turn on The Movie Channel (TMC).

:-)

I agree we just have to sit back and laugh. I feel sorry for the complainer if they really feel TCM is no longer worth watching. Note that I didn't watch the last set of films associated with The Story of Film because they didn't interest me either but I'm not having a breakdown over it!

They are showing some kind of documentary about a 1-room school house in France. LOL.

People on Stardate 2259.55 will be saying will you PLEASE stop showing those ancient 2000's classics!!

1788066.jpg

>I don't even speak or understand French. I think it would have made more sense to run the documentary, The Story of Film, first.

I don't even get the connection to "film" or "classic". This is a documentary about a small rural school in France. Who would pay extra on their cable bill to receive TCM to see films like this?

No, I have never seen any of the movies that they are showing tonight.

They are probably entertaining films. That isn't my point. I turn on TCM to see movies from the 1920's to the 60's, not something that i can get from the video rental store or from the $5 bin at Walmart. These may be awesome movies, I just don't think that TCM is the place to show them. There are way too many movie channels on the DIsh/Direct that could be showing these movies. AMC, IFC, and Sundance are just a few that come to mind. TCM is the ONLY channel that you can see an old b/w film.

Just look at AMC for example. AMC use to show only classic films like TCM does. They showed more 50's-70's colorized films and TCM showed mostly b/w films. Then, AMC gradually started showing newer and newer films until they pretty well phased out all of the old films. Then, they started putting commercials into the films. Just like right now, AMC is showing "Home Alone 2". Is "Home Alone 2" really an American classic? No, not in my opinion.

I'm afraid that TCM is heading down the same path. If no one seems to mind, and calls their hand on it, then in a few years when you turn on TCM, 2000 films will be the norm and you'll be fast forwarding through the commercials.

To me, turning on TCM and seeing a movie from the 2000's is like turning on the Horror Channel and seeing National Lampoon's Vacation showing. It's a great movie, just not for the Horror Channel.

In my opinion, the 10 hours of showing these newer films could have been better spent showing some obscure b/w films that even a die hard TCM watcher hasn't seen before.

Maybe Mark Cousins should try to get a contract with AMC.

Who knows, maybe his "Story of Film" will bring back classics to AMC.

laurelnhardy wrote:

<< To me, turning on TCM and seeing a movie from the 2000's is like turning on the Horror Channel and seeing National Lampoon's Vacation showing. It's a great movie, just not for the Horror Channel.>>

Caution: Strong language

> Who would pay extra on their cable bill to receive TCM to see films like this?

Well, you obviously are.

Yes, but you still pay for TCM through what you like to refer to as "very expensive cable rates" right?

It sounds like fxreyman and jamesjazzguitar really enjoy watching these newer films and really take a stand against anyone that complains about

Mark Cousin's jacked up movie picks.

I'm not sure why they are even on TCM's message board and not on one

of the other movie channel's boards like IFC or Sundance talking about newer movies that they enjoy.

I've been watching TCM since it was created back in 1994 because I love

OLD movies. That's what they've always shown, so when they start showing movies that aren't OLD, i've gotta express my displeasure, whether it was just a week ago that I had something to say, or whether

you agree with it or not.

If you're tired of watching OLD classic movies, then don't watch the channel anymore.

I'd like to know what their ratings were during a 2002 subtitled French movie.

TCM does as TCM determines it ought to do. TCM does today what it has always done, show movies from all time periods. TCM is not answerable to anyone who posts on these message boards. TCM is not even answerable to anyone who purchases expanded cable packages in order to get it.

If, as some have been wringing their hands about for twenty years now, TCM plans to show the Terminator and Rambo movies with commercials, I wish they'd go ahead and do it already. The suspense is killing me.

I'm not so convinced they don't read the message boards. You probably can't get them to admit it, but I'm sure they are aware of what people think of their programming and that may play a part in the programming choices.

Well here is something odd, Directv PPV channel 166 will be showing "Miracle on 34th Street" (1947) at 11:30pm EST tonight. Anyone willing to pay $4.99 on a movie seen countless number of times?

It sounds like fxreyman and jamesjazzguitar really enjoy watching these newer films and really take a stand against anyone that complains about Mark Cousin's jacked up movie picks. I'm not sure why they are even on TCM's message board and not on one of the other movie channel's boards like IFC or Sundance talking about newer movies that they enjoy.

Rey and james have posted a total of 7491 comments on this Forum. So far you're up to 15. You love "old movies" so much, where have you been posting for the last 19 years? On the Mickey Rooney channel?