Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2002-2006 films AREN'T classic movies!!!!!

You know as well as I do, MissW, that there have been people on this site that were far more bombastic and insulting to all than Twinkee ever was. Some of them are long gone, thankfully.

To any member that wishes to insult ME in the most foul, personal and derogatory means, I say BRING IT. If I can't hold my own, well, so be it. It's NOT going to keep me from coming onto the site. I have just as much right to be here as ANY of you, and so does Twink. They can laugh up their sleeves at anything I post, or to my virtual face if they choose, I don't care. Some may think I'm full of sh!t, and tell me so. Doesn't matter. They wouldn't be the FIRST to tell me so, and definitely won't be the LAST!

As to the topic on hand: I too, checked out Dictionary.com, AND both my Webster's and Funk & Wagnall's, and they ALL give several definitions of the word "classic". What TCM is doing with it fits at least TWO of them, so this griping about it is pointless. There are too few, if any at all, outlets that would showcase some of the "non-classic", according to some, movies shown lately, and I think it's a good thing TCM is choosing to do so. Like I said in other threads of this sort, my cable service has 300 other channels to choose from, and I have a wide variety of choices on tape and DVD if TCM shows something I might have no interest in.

Watching TCM is a CHOICE, NOT an OBLIGATION.

Sepiatone

I don't see what you disagree with lavender. I was basically stating, in my over-wordy way, that insulting ME won't keep me from coming to the site. Yeah, it would be nice if people who come in here just to insult others didn't come here at all, but as it IS an "open forum", they have a right to, until the administrator sees fit to sweep them out.

I too, have noticed an increase in civility of late. Let's hope it keeps up.

Sepiatone

Edited by: Sepiatone on Dec 11, 2013 12:36 PM

Well, glad to read you're not as thin skinned as others.I think that's what you're saying. It was another comment you posted that I disagree with., but I'd prefer not to go into that. Also glad you agree with me that the site is more civil in the last month, and that's because some posters are no longer here. I also hope it stays that way and I see Hibi agrees :)

I'd like to agree with all the posters who have praised TCM for showing so many movies associated with *The Story of Film*, and I'd love for some of these to be recycled in the next couple of years in the appropriate category (Silents, Imports, Underground, etc.).

TCM's programmers follow the Big Tent approach, trying to give every segment of its diverse and vocal audience some of what it likes. If you don't like recent films, how about a month of Fred Astaire musicals? Last year, people wanted more Christmas movies, so this December's schedule has more Christmas movies. The last couple of years have included many more pre-Codes.

If you've looked at the February schedule, there are more older films and fewer recent films than in some previous years for the 31 Days of Oscar. This is no doubt a balance to the newer films shown in connection with the Cousins documentary, which certainly made some of us think a little harder about what our own history of film would look like.

I don't like to see anyone leave our boards, neither voluntarily, nor even less so by banishment.

Every time a poster stops being here, no matter how provocative or cranky or just plain goofy they may have sometimes been, it becomes a slightly more boring forum, I think.

Sensahuma, particularly with a little dark to it, is what I've found to be of the greatest use for keeping one unfazed. I know you know that that's what was being expressed when I asked if you'd done something nefarious with regards to our miss twinks.

All I really remember about Twinkee - - - and correct me if I'm wrong - - - is that she began her brief time on these boards by claiming to be insulted because someone made a comment about her name, and didn't seem to want to let the matter drop. I didn't realize she was banned, or left the boards in a snit, or whatever. In fact until now, I hadn't even realized she wasn't still around, and for all I know, she may still be.

>"That said", I want to say that while she was far from being my favourite poster here, I do not like the idea that I single -handedly hounded her off the site.

You and you alone did hound her off the board. You often had her in tears with your rude commentents toward her. In PMs to me she asked me to help her, and I told her just to ignore ALL of your posts, just as I ignore them.

Once you even told her to stop posing messages to me on a thread and post them as PMs to me rather than messages on the general board itself so they won't bother you. They weren't messages to you, they were messages to me. You were irritated by most of what she said and you frequently made fun of her nickname.

You should be ashamed of yourself for your constant rude treatment of her, which I saw take place month after month.

Fred, I think you and Twink had a special bond. That's one of the fringe benefits of a posting community-- the ability to make special friends on the internet.

I hope Twink comes back to the TCM message boards. She contributed nicely to many of my threads and I never really had a problem with her. I liked her enthusiasm about classic film!

No, someone needs to have the guts to say this publicly. Twinkeee was constantly harrassed by one rude person, and it was quite obvious.

She often had twinkeee in tears and she knew it and enjoyed tormenting her. She often tried to torment me, but I just ignored her.

> You and you alone did hound her off the board. You often had her in tears with your rude commentents toward her. In PMs to me she asked me to help her, and I told her just to ignore ALL of your posts, just as I ignore them. Once you even told her to stop posing messages to me on a thread and post them as PMs to me rather than messages on the general board itself so they won't bother you. They weren't messages to you, they were messages to me. You were irritated by most of what she said and you frequently made fun of her nickname. You should be ashamed of yourself for your constant rude treatment of her, which I saw take place month after month.

Wow. What a steaming pile of bull----.

"in tears"........ yeah, right.

Well I feel there is a gray area here. I stopped replying to Twink because I started to feel I was harassing her. Why? Because she misunderstood almost everything I would say (based on how she would reply back to my posts). So I would clarify my comments in a reply and that didn't clarify anything. Instead the hole just got deeper and deeper. So I gave up since I would of come off as rude if I had keep posting something to the effect of ?NO, you just don?t get it!?

> someone needs to have the guts to say this publicly. Twinkeee was constantly harrassed by one rude person, and it was quite obvious. She often had twinkeee in tears and she knew it and enjoyed tormenting her. She often tried to torment me, but I just ignored her.

There were times when my wise old grandpa would say, "there's no fool like an old fool".

>darkblue said: There were probably a few people who felt all those crying babies were a little too insulting - three of them might have been viewed as opinion overkill by our moderator.

I was braced to be flamed, but not for deletion. I've been posting on message boards since 1993 (on an SE-30 Mac!) and NEVER had a moderator delete my post! I'm pretty ashamed actually.

Next response to a complaining post I'll limit it to *one* crybaby photo and try to be more civil. But doesn't anyone here tire of hearing the same 3 complaints?

>darkblue also said: But twinkeee would never have posted something that provocative

I'm amazed at how many here fell for that attention troll's antics.

>Because she misunderstood almost everything I would say (based on how she would reply back to my posts). So I would clarify my comments in a reply and that didn't clarify anything. Instead the hole just got deeper and deeper.

jamesjazzguitar figured it out. Also amazing to me is that so many believed T was female!

As I stated to someone in PMs about trolls, "Picture comic book guy giggling as he's typing posts-THAT'S who you're dealing with."

UNLIKE Dobbsey & myself who are really just traditional curmudgeons.

>Miss W said: I do not like the idea that they chose to stop posting here due to anything I might have done or said to them.

That's part of an attention troll's game.

I'm guessing he's joined some gaming group or out of the country for the holidays. Let's try to spot the "alter" when they come back.

But let's address the OP. No, films less than 20 years old really shouldn't be considered "classic". Classic refers to standing the test of time, among other criteria.

Anything really well loved made recently can be suggested as "future classic", but I haven't seen anything I'd deem future classic in the past 20 years.

Does anyone think HARRY POTTER is as universally enjoyed (by all age groups, by other cultures) as say NIGHT OF THE HUNTER?

But for THE STORY OF FILM, showing recent examples to illustrate a point is perfectly fine. After all, many early films (some real stinkers) are not really "classic" - just because they're old.

I sympathize with the TCM Web Admin in trying to keep the forums civil, but I have to say I thought your three crying babies were a perfectly appropriate response to the neverending whining about the TCM programming. As you say, it's the same complaints over and over and over, although from a practical POV the best strategy would probably be just to ignore all their whining and deny them the attention they crave. We all have our opinions about the programming, but these whiners seem to think that their opinions are the only ones worth considering.

It is unfortunate that some of you choose to belittle and berate other posters, especially those who are just joining the conversation. TCM, at least, wants to give people the opportunity to share their thoughts freely. If you choose to dislike another poster, for whatever reason, that's your business. But it should end there -- The forums are freely available to anyone who can (generally) keep a civil tongue in discussions and show a modicum of respect for others.

Yes, the same discussions do come up over and over. You know the old saying, every time a bell rings a new poster comes and complains about *It's a Wonderful Life*.

In fact... what are the topics you'd be happy to never see posted again?