Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2002-2006 films AREN'T classic movies!!!!!

laurelnhardy

I hope everyone saw the footage tonight of Robert Osborne from 1994 stating that TCM would be showing both old movies AND more recent movies. That was 20 years ago, folks! All of you who keep endlessly insisting that there's been some horrible subversion of TCM's original intent in recent years or months, well guess what, this proves you're wrong.

>I hope everyone saw the footage tonight of Robert Osborne from 1994 stating that TCM would be showing both old movies AND more recent movies.

Yes, and in the same clip he referred to current stars who are watchable. Not every recent movie has watchable stars the way, say, Gable and Colbert are watchable in IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT.

It really shouldn't be about the year the film was originally released, but how watchable it is. And ultimately, how re-watchable it is.

I also noticed that when he was playing word association with Alec, the two films he named for "comedy" were Libeled Lady and *This Is Spinal Tap.* It's hard to imagine a more pointed rebuttal to the idea that TCM is only about one narrow period of movies.

I also noticed, Andy, that Bob said something about those particular comedies being "witty" as opposed to the "slapstick" of more recent comedy releases. But then, isn't "slapstick" a "classic" comedy style?

Sepiatone

Totally agree. There has to be some diversity, otherwise it would become stale and boring. I love watching TCM, I have discovered so many wonderful films and actors that I wouldn't have known about otherwise. Oh and tonight, they are having on "The Remains of the Day" from 1993, also "not a classic" by the whining brigade's standards. Open your minds a bit, complainers!

>also "not a classic" by the whining brigade's standards

HEY! Please don't insult classic movie fans who like movies from the 1920s through the 50s!

Anyway, welcome to the message board, and I hope you have a lot of fun here. :P

(old) FredCDobbs

I think he said or at least implied that older comedies are more witty. Take Libeled Lady. Yea, the fishing scene is slapstick type humor but most of the comedy is dialogue based.

So yea, slapstick is a classic comedy form but in many of today's comedies the majority of the gags are slapstick based instead of dialogue based (IMO).

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Jan 8, 2014 12:33 PM

• 4 weeks later...

For over 10 years I have been watching TCM. About 6 of those years TCM exclusively! Daughter and grandsons make fun of me for only watching black and white movies. Do not like commercials and LOVE 30's and 40's movies. For the past couple of years things have been going downhill. As this forum states now we are seeing movies from the 90's and 2000's. Right now having to find other things to watch because for HOURS foreign films have been on. I understand they deserve a spot also, but not back to back. Some days I think I am watch Starz or something because they keep playing the same movies over and over! When is the last time they had "Red Dust" on with Harlow and Gable? I will tell you when, 2 YEARS ago. Those ARE CLASSIC MOVIES! Sure I know I don't have to watch TCM and I am making those changes. Just is VERY sad. I love Robert Osborne and his trivia. Basically I guess they just don't care what we like because we like classic movies. That is why we turn to "Turner Classic Movies."

I think film like all great art forms should expand your world view and imagination- yes it's nice to escape to a safe black and white world that never truly existed except in Hollywood. Nostalgia is very nice but it doesn't hurt to look at the life from a different point of view once in a while. That is the the true power and magic of film.

TCM needs to care about what people like beyond just what people like you like. i.e. there are more consumers than just you.

While I want the majority of TCM's programming to focus on American studio-era movies (at least 80% of the time would be my perference), I'm OK when they show something else. There are other things one can do when TCM shows movies one doesn't like.

>Do not like commercials and LOVE 30's and 40's movies.

Millions of people feel the same way. That's why the channel has been popular for the past 20 years. There are plenty of other channels for more modern movies.

*Do not like commercials and LOVE 30's and 40's movies.*

Millions of people feel the same way. That's why the channel has been popular for the past 20 years. There are plenty of other channels for more modern movies.

But every last one of those "other" channels either charges premium subscription prices or pollutes their films with one commercial after another. For people who like great movies from a wide stretch of eras without being bombarded by mid-film advertising pitches, there's been no real alternative to TCM since AMC and the FMC sold their souls to the beancounters.

>For people who like great movies from a wide stretch of eras without being bombarded by mid-film advertising pitches

Contact the Encore people and ask them to lower their prices and show wide-stretch-era films.

Either that, or demand it from TCM and be prepared to pay higher fees to receive TCM, since the newer movies will cost more for TCM to rent, and TCM will also have to raise rates to make up for the loss of all the old-movie fans who cut the cable and decide to watch old movies via the internet for free.

I have cable Fred.

I just don't have the more expensive tier that would get me TCM. I don't need to be told how TCM is. I have had TCM as recently as last summer. So I know full well what TCM is and what I and many other people like about it.

Just because TCM shows newer films DOES NOT mean that the channel is changing like AMC did. Probably will never happen.

All the doomsayers who come on here day after day proclaiming after they have seen a newer post 1980 film on the channel that TCM is changing and the TCM they once knew is going away and writes about this is just plain silly.

Do your homework. Research the titles each and every month. With the proper research one can easily see that more than 75% of the films shown each month are from the studio era of film making.

And as Robert Osborne said when he first appeared on TCM in 1994...

*"Hi, welcome to Turner Classic Movies. I'm Robert Osborne, I'm gonna be your host, right here, as we present some of the best, the--finest films ever made, twenty-four hours a day. We're going to be drawing not only from the great film libraries of MGM and Warner Brothers, but also from other outstanding catalogs, so: Come join us, and see not only great films and stars from the past, but also films from recent years, featuring some of our newest and most watchable stars."*

Archived