Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Saving MR Banks

sfpcc2

Has anyone out there heard of the new film Saving MR Banks? It's about the making of Mary Poppins. Tom Hanks plays Walt Disney and Emma Thompson plays the author P L Travers. It seems interesting but I don't know if I'm going to see it.. This year I've only made it out the theater to see five films. (it's cold out there and the mall is crowded.)

Heh, everyone has been joking with me about this because they know how much I hate Tom Hanks and my thorough disgust with the Disney "brand".

What many don't know is this story between Disney & Travers has been written about pretty extensively in most Disney biographies. There's nothing new to say, this is just a typical cash grab - not unlike the Hitchcock movie last year.

What's next? A movie about which actors in old Hollywood were racist? Yawn, old unimportant news.

It saw the trailers on the Disney Cruise. Richard Sherman was also there. He gave insight to what went on behind the scenes to make Mary Poppins. In fact Mr. Sherman recorded hours of the discussions between P. L. Travers and Disney. It was so interesting to listen to the actual people in his recordings. Richard Sherman is a delightful man with many interesting stories.

I can't wait to see the movie. I was disappointed in what I saw of Tom Hanks in the trailer. He doesn't do folksy well. Walt Disney stood in line at the NY Worlds Fair and talked to people to get ideas how to entertain and make the time pass easier. While they were waiting to get into his exhibit. He was a hands on guy. .

I hate Emma Thompson ever since she put down Audrey Hepburn several years ago so I wont be seeing it if she's in it.........

I've noticed Thompson's remake of MFL hasnt been filmed......

Edited by: Hibi on Dec 11, 2013 9:39 AM

> What many don't know is this story between Disney & Travers has been written about pretty extensively in most Disney biographies.

What you have to remember, Tiki, is that if those bios aren't pre-loaded into their Kindles, or if there isn't a APP for them, nobody's gonna read 'em.

Yeah, in seeing the trailers I, too, was wondering "What's up with the accent?"

While I don't mind Hanks as an actor, I wonder at the casting of HIM as Disney. I might have picked someone like David Strathairn. But then, would HE be a big enough name for the SUITS?

Sepiatone

I loved the little bit I saw where P. L. Travers tells the Sherman brothers that "responstable" isn't a word and they quickly hide the sheet music for "Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious." I would like to see the movie but I'd have a hard time sympathizing with a woman who is that upset over the translation of her book to film, knowing that this same woman separated a set of infant twin boys by only adopting one and refusing to adopt the other (on the advice of her astrologer.) Her priorities were out of whack.

>Ok, but why this that the title of the movie? Mr Banks is a fictional character, so why does he need to be 'saved'?

*++++++++++++++++MAYBE SPOILERS++++++++++++++*

Because in the film of *Mary Poppins* , it is Mr. Banks who needs to be saved, ie reminded of what it is to be a child and not treat his children as little adults.

P.L. Travers knew that from personal experience.

Walt Disney thought the story was about how Mary Poppins saved the children.

P.L. Travers prevailed and *Mary Poppins*, the film, is better for it.

>Ok, but why this that the title of the movie?

I suspect it's a play on words referring to SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, Hank's most lauded role. Yuk. Just another indication that no one can make a stand alone film anymore.

>What's with Hanks' accent? Disney didn't have an accent.

Did Disney have a midwestern accent? I don't recall.

I suspect it's just Tom Hanks bad acting. I really think he's horrible.

(I used to say the same thing about well loved Kevin Costner)

That said, I enjoyed Hanks early in his career-don't know when he lost his ability to act, maybe it's the writing?

>Walt Disney (snipped) was a hands on guy.

Walt Disney himself was a brilliant man who made great art for the ages. He wasn't perfect and could be cruel to those he felt didn't have the same dedication as himself. Sometimes the same qualities that make you a great creative force are the same qualities that make you a jerk.

But I feel so badly about what an evil mega force the Disney Corporation has become in the past 20-30 years.

Thanks for the input, lz, before the discussion gets too seriously off the rails. :0

Since the film will not have general release until 12/20/13, my guesses for storyline are as good as any other.

I get from the previews that this is an grown-up telling of history; of PL Travers' arbitrary behaviour masks a darker truth, and revealing her actual motivation for writing Mary Poppins. That leads to show Disney's personal take on what he's been missing when telling stories to children. Life is fuller and darker-- even for children, and not just a fairy tale from the happiest place on earth. thought fairy tales get short shrift in storytelling discussions, and they hold darker meanings too.

Maybe a discussion of Mary Poppins is in order. What is the massage of this forthright, yet elusive nanny? Is it love will get you through, and love will come in many forms from many people that will pass through your life when you need them.?

Yep. I wont see any film classless Emma makes or is involved in. I dont see Woody Allen films either. That's it for the time being..........I believe in voting with my wallet. I have watched some of Woody's films on TCM as I'm not putting money in his pocket and they were made before Soon-Yi......

I sit here everyday and read the comments that are made by you and many others and often I am amused at what people write here.

> I hate Emma Thompson ever since she put down Audrey Hepburn several years ago so I wont be seeing it if she's in it.........

> I've noticed Thompson's remake of MFL hasnt been filmed......

Your comments about how you "hate" Emma Thompson, well that is your right I suppose, but I happen to enjoy her very much. Every person has the "right" to voice their opinion about something, someone, or whatever. Thompson's comments were made while preparing a screenplay for a new film adaptation from Columbia Pictures.

The following article by The Guardian's film critic Peter Bradshaw brings up some unusual yet interesting points about Emma Thompson's remarks about Audrey Hepburn.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2010/aug/10/emma-thompson-audrey-hepburn

http://www.theweek.co.uk/entertainment/12603/emma-thompson-slated-audrey-hepburn-attack

When I read this article and other articles like it where the comments made by Emma Thompson at her involved the actual role of Eliza Doolittle itself that really was meant to say that the role was an important role for women: "It's high time that the extraordinary role of Eliza was reinterpreted, because it's a very fantastic part for a woman."

I also seem to think that anyone has the right to comment about another person, especially if said person is no longer with us. I mean not a week goes by here that we don't read something negative about John Wayne?..

I suppose you have every right to write that you "hate" Emma Thompson, and that you will not watch any of her movies. Hey, I don't like Marlon Brando, but I don't hate him. I just think using the word "hate" is awfully strong especially when you are talking about an actress. Or anything really. What do you think?

She has the right to her opinion and so do I. I used to like her but that changed. Her tirade (She cant act, she cant sing- Audrey never claimed she could sing. I dont get her appeal etc.) was in poor taste and showed NO class. Who the hell does she think SHE IS? Ranting on a dead star who never had a bad thing to say about anyone while she was alive and couldnt defend herself was a cheap shot. And seemed like just a publicity ploy. Why does she think WE care about what she thinks???? Karma bites you in the end and it appears her long delayed remake may never see the light of day. (and that makes me VERY happy). I totally agree with Frederic Raphael's defense of Audrey (and skewering of Emma) in his piece in some English newspaper (the link was posted here several years ago). He wrote the screenplay for Audrey's Two for the Road. She talked me out of ever seeing any performance of hers again. I could care less! Or I should say I couldnt care less (before I'm corrected!)

> Walt Disney himself was a brilliant man who made great art for the ages.

+1 on that.

Disney was a talented illustrator, clever cartoonist, brilliant animator and savvy businessman. But he lacked imagination when it came to naming his characters. His original choice of name for Mickey was MORTIMER. His original name for Donald Duck was OSWALD!

Luckily, others in his studio had enough influence on him to persuade him to accept different names.

Hibi, you have a very limiting approach to movie viewing. Of course, with Woody Allen, it's rather involving. I don't much care how Allen conducts himself off the clock, as long as his work still satidfies. And in his case, it's a "time over matter" situation with me. I used to like Allen's movies hands down, no matter what. But over time, the only ones that hold up for me is the ones where he's not the main focus, such as "Hannah and Her Sisters", or "The Mighty Aphrodite". Or just the films he directs. In all the others where he plays basically the same type of guy, ultra insecure, always "tsk"-ing, sighing and waving his arms DID get tiring.

Hanks of late does seem to be resting on his laurels. Maybe it was poor choices in projects, maybe not. "Ryan" was his last good role, all the DaVinci stuff not suited for him. But I'd like to see him direct more. His only project as director, "That Thing You Do" was a pretty good film, and he did very competent work behind the camera. But he once said he found the project "draining" and vowed never to do it again.

Sepiatone

> She has the right to her opinion and so do I.

This is about the only thing I can agree with you on here.

> I used to like her but that changed. Her tirade (She cant act, she cant sing- Audrey never claimed she could sing. I dont get her appeal etc.) was in poor taste and showed NO class. Who the hell does she think SHE IS? Ranting on a dead star who never had a bad thing to say about anyone while she was alive and couldnt defend herself was a cheap shot. And seemed like just a publicity ploy. Why does she think WE care about what she thinks????

I like Thompson.I think she is a wonderful actress and a good writer. You may not want to hear this but she IS the ONLY actress in history to have won an Oscar for acting AND writing. That in and of itself is a remarkable accomplishment. I could care less that she made those comments. She made the comments while she was preparing a screenplay for a now delayed project. She also emphasized in addition to her comments about Hepburn that the role of Eliza was an important female part. I am not going to sit here and defend Thompson's remarks about Hepburn, but like you and I and everyone else, she had the right to say what she said.

> Karma bites you in the end and it appears her long delayed remake may never see the light of day. (and that makes me VERY happy).

Well, again that is your opinion. And you are entitled to it. But many projects go un-filmed. That is the reality of the film business now and in the past. It certainly has not stopped her from acting in other projects. And the new Saving Mr. Banks is also getting a lot of rave reviews of her acting. And it could also garner her an additional Oscar nomination this year. Not bad for someone who is hated.

>Hanks of late does seem to be resting on his laurels. Maybe it was poor choices in projects, maybe not.

Well, Mr. Hanks did receive some good reviews in the recent "Captain Phillips" movie, Sepia, and just today received a Golden Globe nomination for that role.

(...not that the nomination actually means a great deal, of course...and as it appears TikiSoo might wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment) ;)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings