Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trying to recall the name of a B&W movie re kidnapping

NYMemories

I remember seeing a movie many years ago about a kidnapping (or perhaps it might have been holding something for ransom). I recall that the criminals were communicating via public telephones, giving the telephone operators bogus call back numbers. Telephone line men were attempting to trace the calls by looking at the switching equipment and counting off the clicks representing the digits of the phone number. Telephone operators were to notify a supervisor when they answered such a call. I recall a scene with detectives where mug shots would be shown over some sort of special TV circuit or on an unused channel. The press was assisting by not publishing certain facts that they learned and by frightening the criminals by including news items about how police were better able to catch criminals with technology that was new then. I recall the ending involved some sort of shoot out in a remote area right by a phone booth at an intersection. I think it might have been an MGM movie, or perhaps from one of their subdivisions.

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer!