Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
shutoo

no Holiday Inn?

Does it seem odd to anyone else that the month highlighting Fred Astaire and holiday films would not feature Holiday Inn? And no Miracle on 34th st..won't be Christmas w/o that.

The studios have discovered that they can make tons of money by putting Christmas movies out for bid every year. Networks that otherwise would never show an old black &white film go nuts trying to outbid the others. Some years TCM gets them and some years other networks outbid them.

Be assured that if TCM isn't showing them, both films will turn up someplace although probably edited and loaded with commercials. Of course, it's all those commercials that give those channels such very deep pockets and the ability to outbid TCM.

My suggest is if you want to see them as they were meant to be seen, watch them on DVD.

> And no Miracle on 34th st..won't be Christmas w/o that.

*Miracle on 34th Street* is a Fox film that the studio holds dear to its heart.

Some times TCM is able to rent it and other times, Fox prefers to rent it out to the highest bidder (see markfp's previous post) and some years prefers to keep it for their own movie channel.

Thanks Mark, I get all that, but a directv search shows no one airing Holiday Inn..and it just seemed like a perfect marketing combo to me. Also, no 34th st shown except pay per view. Actually, I've burned these to DVD, but still would've watched..go figure.

Anyone else put off by the lurid allusion in the heading of tonight's schedule? No, just me?

*DEBBIE DOES CHRISTMAS*

This question is for the sentient folks here.

(GASP!) NOT the same Debbie who did DALLAS, is it?

What grinds me is the fact that film makers and film buffs, along with many critics, feel that movies are ART, while the owners of such "property" feel they're "product" to be granted to the highest bidder. Imagine the Arts Institute in your city missing out on a Monet exhibit because some other city out bid yours. Since several copies of these movies can be made, and with today's technology, made with good quality, it seems that a reasonable set price for permission to show them is a better and more lucrative route. More outlets would be able to show these movies and more often rather than one at a time and only at certain times.

Sepiatone

I'm not put off willbefree but then my mind does not live in a gutter plus a bit of humor never hurts anything. Somebody needs to ask the still living Debbie Reynolds if she is put off. If she is put off then I will be very slightly and if she is not then I will not be at all. Get a grip and chuckle a little. A frown that deep willbefree might freeze your face in place for life.

*Holiday Inn* has been shown on the Retroplex channel many times over the last few months. It will be shown again this Thurs, Dec 12 @ 5:20 am, 12:40 pm, and 8:00 pm. Dec 17 Tuesday, 3:40 am, 12:55 pm, 8:00 pm. In Fla that channel is 168. If you can get Retroplex that's where you'll find *Holiday Inn* . Hope that helps you.

I saw part of Holiday Inn on AMC about 2 years ago. I noticed they cut out the blackface songs. That was ok with me, BUT I couldn't take the commercials, so I didn't whatch the whole film.

I think it was AMC that showed Miracle on 34th Street all day last year, both the B&W and the colorized versions. But again, too many commercials for me to watch it.

I think TCM has a good Christmas line-up for this year and NO COMMERCIALS. YAY! GO TCM!! :P

Movies, like all forms of art, are both property and product.

Note that your idea is advise to the owner of said property for how to market said product.

A couple of years ago, right after the holiday season, there was a thread regarding the lack of these same holiday classics on TCM. There we're quite a number of suggestions as to the (re)establishment of other films as (new) classics for the holidays. Seriously, TCM should consider pushing some of these in lieu of the unavailability of the more sought after standards.

PS.......if I were. more adept, I'd try to find and resurrect that thread, to see what some of the suggestions were..

I purchased MIRACLE ON 34th ST. on vhs years ago, and COME TO THE STABLE. HOLIDAY INN is on a tape the I recorded. Thank goodness for my combo vcr and dvd player. Time Warner offered Retro Plex back in Rochester, NY. Unfortunately they dropped the channel. As previously stated Directv does not carry this channel.

Funny, I just looked at the Retroplex site and Holiday Inn is one of the films they are promoting on the front page.

It may be hard for some to believe but, TCM isn't the only place to see classic films. And the competition seems to be increasing.

>It may be hard for some to believe but, TCM isn't the only place to see classic films.

It is if you enjoy seeing movies on TV without interruption.

My beef is there are no theaters in my city that show FILM anymore. HOLIDAY INN used to be a holiday staple at theaters, but they've all tossed away their projectors-WAH!

(I'm not complaining too much-two theaters still show film-one 45 minutes east and one an hour west, but neither are showing )

>Note that your idea is advise to the owner of said property for how to market said product.

Not sure what you mean by that, or how. But to my way of thinking, if I owned the rights to some well loved movie that many people would just LOVE seeing on TV, I would think it counter productive, in terms of culling profit, to price the right to broadcast it high enough to limit the market. If 300 outlets desired the rights to show it, but only three or four could match my price, where's all the profit? If I priced it as to where all 300 could come up with the cash, I could stand to make MORE of a profit, couldn't I? And if the fees for this movie isn't my main source of business revenue, it would be icing on the cake, as I see it.

Maybe some business school alums could spell it out better for me, if what I'm suggesting is off base.

Sepiatone

>I know, right??!! Also no White Christmas ! All the classic Christmas Season movies are missing...do not understand...very disappointed !

TCM has to rent/lease all the films it broadcasts. The season between Thanksgiving and the end of the year is one of the most popular for networks as people like to watch classic holiday movies.

TCM has to compete with AMC (who tends to have a lock on the long term lease of *White Christmas* ), Retroplex, Multiplex, the Encore channels, Hallmark (yes, I know they concentrate heavily on their own made for the holiday tele-movies but they are also running classic holiday movies as well) and a number of other networks when bidding on the lease rights.

Lately, studios are realizing that their is more profit in the Sepiatone business model and renting films to more than one network rather than going for the bigger $$$ exclusive to the highest bidding network.

But, that is a new trend that hopefully we will see more of next year.

Till more studios adopt that business model, more and more networks compete for a finite number of holiday films and the competition is fierce.

But that won't change NBC's long term exclusive contract for *It's a Wonderful Life* any time soon.

Well, Holiday Inn and White Christmas are both Paramount, so that's an issue right there. I seem to remember last year or the year before AMC had a 24 hr marathon running White Christmas over and over again.....

I hope TCM doesn't spend too much of their budget trying to obtain Holiday pictures. I would rather they spend it on non holiday films.

The issue is the price to obtain Holiday movies relative to the cost non holiday movies.

For example, say a Holiday movie has a big demand. A movie like Its a Wonderful Life. Say the cost to obtain that movie is 10 times more per showing that a typical non Holiday movie.

I would rather TCM purchase the rights to 10 movies they can shown multiple time during the year (but not too often!), than obtaining the rights to a holiday film that can be shown only during December.

Also there are other outlets for Holiday movies. Just go to someone's home that has younger children. Most have DVDs of the classic holiday movies.