Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

310 To Yuma is a GAY Movie ?

PokerElliott

Are you guys kidding me ? I really want to believe that the guest on Robert Osborne's show tonight is just a stand up comedian and was joking ! I mean come on, I just watched Glen Ford making out with the barmaid in Bisby ! Things are getting pretty sketchy when you start somehow calling classic American Westerns "Gay Movies" ! I mean come on, what's next; are they gonna tell us that Marshall Matt Dillon was gay too? He really wasn't interested in Miss Kitty, it was Festus that he really lusted after !! LMFAO !!

Edited by: PokerElliott on Dec 10, 2013 10:51 PM

• 3 weeks later...

Who was the presenter? And exactly what was the comment and in what context?

I doubt he said, "3:10 is a gay movie." And that was the beginning and end of the discussion.

It happens to be one of my favorite movies, as well as the Elmore Leonard story it's based on, so I'd really like to know what was said - maybe it is a gay movie, and maybe I just need a new way of looking at it!

Any further information would really be appreciated.

>Who was the presenter?

goodpuppy,

I didn't see the presentation but do know that the presenter was comedian/actor Patton Oswalt who had a recurring role on *Justified* last season as Constable Bob.

*Justified* is the dramatic series based on Elmore Leonard's Raylen Givens books. Leonard was very involved in the series including writing at least one episode each year for the series.

Hello Vertigo2,

I could not find a particle of "gayness" in 310 To Yuma , Red River or Cowboy. However, Johnny Guitar and Warlock reeks with "gayness". Also, there was a television western in the late 1960's called..."THE OUTCASTS". It starred Don Murray and Otis Young and it lasted a year. As a straight man on the trail I wouldn't enjoy wandering into their camp on a cold night for a hot cup of coffee.

Ah!.....the THRILL of it ALL!!!!

All the BEST!

Lane Temple

• 1 year later...

.When I was in school I had a friend who ALWAYS said that Little Joe Cartwright of BONANZA fame was a Switch-hitter.

No, Little Joe was straight, but Hop Sing was questionable; especially since his name was shortened from "Hop, Sing, and do Anything for the part."

• 3 weeks later...

I guess Brokeback Mountain has everyone taking a second look at old westerns and going "Hmmm?" "3:10 to Yuma" seems an unlikely fit for this contention,but maybe "Red River" or "Cowboy". - after all, it did get lonesome on the old prarie.

Well, in RED RIVER Monty Clift and John Ireland compared their, ahem, guns.

Well, he did seem inordinately fond of Turkey (euphemism for "chicken"?) lol

Then there was a lot of "butchness" going on with Emma's obsession over Vienna - this has got to be the only western where the women are tougher than the men!

One of the characters said that Emma was ashamed of the fact that she wanted the Dancing Kid. One critic called it a Rorschach Test of a movie; and for my money, Mercedes McCambridge walked away with it.

• 2 months later...

One of the characters said that Emma was ashamed of the fact that she wanted the Dancing Kid. One critic called it a Rorschach Test of a movie; and for my money, Mercedes McCambridge walked away with it.

Emma was a cattle baron's daughter and the richest woman in town.  This made her the leader of the town's "moral element".  The Kid was an outlaw.  She desperately wanted-might even have had-him but her position wouldn't allow her to take it out in the open.  He obviously wanted Vienna who was far beneath Emma socially and her lust fueled her jealousy and hatred of Vienna who didn't want a war with her.  This whole movie. including the war between the women, is way over the top but I see a catfight over a man as the catalyst rather than anything L-word.  Emma buys it taking The Kid down with her while Vienna gets Johnny who's the man she really wants. 

The Kid thinks of Turkey as a kid-brother which is why he takes his lynching so hard.  And I would think that Ford/Farr session of "afternoon delight" kinds of settles that issue of his orientation.

While there are scenes from films-the Olivier/Curtis bathhouse one from Spartacus for one-that can legitimately be said to imply a same-sex relationship what does trying to write in one where it probably does not exist do to advance acceptance?  That's like me trying to say the men in Brokeback Mountain were really straight when, from what I've seen of the clips, there is no doubt that they were gay.  Both types are part of movies and TV now; let the stories and characters speak for themselves.    

Emma was a cattle baron's daughter and the richest woman in town.  This made her the leader of the town's "moral element".  The Kid was an outlaw.  She desperately wanted-might even have had-him but her position wouldn't allow her to take it out in the open.  He obviously wanted Vienna who was far beneath Emma socially and her lust fueled her jealousy and hatred of Vienna who didn't want a war with her.  This whole movie. including the war between the women, is way over the top but I see a catfight over a man as the catalyst rather than anything L-word.  Emma buys it taking The Kid down with her while Vienna gets Johnny who's the man she really wants. 

The Kid thinks of Turkey as a kid-brother which is why he takes his lynching so hard.  And I would think that Ford/Farr session of "afternoon delight" kinds of settles that issue of his orientation.

While there are scenes from films-the Olivier/Curtis bathhouse one from Spartacus for one-that can legitimately be said to imply a same-sex relationship what does trying to write in one where it probably does not exist do to advance acceptance?  That's like me trying to say the men in Brokeback Mountain were really straight when, from what I've seen of the clips, there is no doubt that they were gay.  Both types are part of movies and TV now; let the stories and characters speak for themselves.    

The Kid was an outlaw?    Not for the first 3\4 of the film.    The group was living off the money they made from a silver mine \ strike.   When it ran out they were planning on leaving town but since the town assumed they were outlaws and might hang them for crimes they never committed (the initial robbery at the start of the film that was NOT done by them) they decide to rob the local bank.

The Kid was an outlaw?    Not for the first 3\4 of the film.    The group was living off the money they made from a silver mine \ strike.   When it ran out they were planning on leaving town but since the town assumed they were outlaws and might hang them for crimes they never committed (the initial robbery at the start of the film that was NOT done by them) they decide to rob the local bank.

I stand corrected.  That makes his relationship with Emma even stranger.  If he was "respectable" did her pride keep her from choosing someone socially beneath her, did he care but not want to be with someone above his station, or did he just not feel the same way about her that she did him?  She ended up a bitter woman for whom money and power could not buy happiness. 

Our original topic is on Wednesday night as part of an all-Western evening.  I wonder if this will be addressed.

I stand corrected.  That makes his relationship with Emma even stranger.  If he was "respectable" did her pride keep her from choosing someone socially beneath her, did he care but not want to be with someone above his station, or did he just not feel the same way about her that she did him?  She ended up a bitter woman for whom money and power could not buy happiness. 

Our original topic is on Wednesday night as part of an all-Western evening.  I wonder if this will be addressed.

Well I think the Kid was a player and he didn't wish to commit to Emma (no prize in my book).   When Joan came into the picture the Kid went for her.    Yes,  Emma was bitter.  One of the best bitter women performance in film history.  

Funny you mention Miss Kitty since to me she looks like a man in drag. So if that type of look is what Dillion liked, I'm starting to wonder!

Really, I can't think of any worst looking lead female character in a major TV series. The make-up job is just flat out bad.

See her is Season One.  She looks pretty damn good to me.  Have to remember, the series was on for 20 years.

Incidentally, was The Falcon gay because he was in The Gay Falcon and his first name was Gay?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings