Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Printing the TCM monthly schedule

I recently switched my browser from Internet Explorer 8 to Google Chrome. With IE8 (used with Windows XP SP3), I had no problem obtaining a perfect printout of TCM's monthly schedule.

When I tried to print out the December 2013 schedule with Google Chrome, I obtained some strange results which, try as I did, could not be fixed to obtain results comparable to those obtained with IE8.

The pagination was not compatible with the schedule. That is, one page of the schedule was too long to fit within one page that GC insisted upon printing, even though I was using a custom adjustment of the page format. This misfit came across as the middle of one movie description being split at the bottom of the page and continuing over to the next page. Unacceptable.

The other problem was the appearance of bold-print horizontal lines in the GC printout every two movie listings, and normally light horizontal lines separating the two movies between bold lines! I have no idea what these lines are about, but they do not appear on the printouts that I got with IE8.

If anyone here has had any experience printing out the TCM monthly schedule with Google Chrome, I would appreciate it if they would post this information. It might also help others who have had the same trouble as I. Thank you.

musikone

a long-time TCM fan

Hi musikone,

Which menu are you selecting PRINT from?

If you select the PRINT icon at the top of the schedule page, then, after the page loads, select Landscape Layout - then select Custom Margins. This should surround the printable page with blue dotted lines which you can then hover your pointer over to make the "adjust" black arrows appear.

This will allow you to widen, narrow, shorten or lengthen the page to your needs. On the screen, this eliminates the inaccurate break lines, but I can't say for sure how this will print - as I have no printer at the moment.

Hi musikone,

Which menu are you selecting PRINT from?

If you select the PRINT icon at the top of the schedule page, then, after the page loads, select Landscape Layout - then select Custom Margins. This should surround the printable page with blue dotted lines which you can then hover your pointer over to make the "adjust" black arrows appear.

This will allow you to widen, narrow, shorten or lengthen the page to your needs. On the screen, this eliminates the inaccurate break lines, but I can't say for sure how this will print - as I have no printer at the moment.

This is (almost) exactly what I did, except that I used the Portrait Layout, since the text fit within the allocated space, with plenty of room left over. Nevertheless, I just tried it with the Landscape Layout and got the same result, except that more pages were required (I only printed a very few pages). In both layouts, the page breaks did not show properly and the unexplainable horizontal lines were still there.

If you can get your hands on a printer, try it and you'll see what I mean. Please post any comments about this in the same forum. I will be checking it occasionally to see whether you discovered anything.

Thank you for your efforts.

P.S. I also have a friend (not a TCM fan) working on this problem. He has more than the necessary computer equipment, but this is a specialized effort, off the beaten path, and I doubt that he can be of any help.

musikone

Hello again,

One other thing that may correct a bad page preview when you print it is..

Print using system dialog... (CtrlShiftP)

.. or just click on the phrase near the bottom left of the page.

If this does not help, may I ask - do you also have Adobe Reader for viewing PDF's? If you do, you can disable Chrome's PDF viewer and Adobe's should take over automatically. If you don't, download the latest version of Adobe Reader and use that after you've disabled Chrome's PDF Viewer.. I believe this will operate as in IE while you remain in Chrome.

Google Chrome has had PDF problems since day-1 and nobody's working on a solution.

(note: I had to copy this reference, whereas TCM used to have an easy way to reference the post being replied to, until apparently someone decided to fiddle with this, just for the sake of change. TCM's "progress" is actually a regress, in many areas that they are poking around in, apparently just for the sake of appearing to be busy. I remember when TCM actually *had* an award-winning web site!)

Kid_Dabb says:

Hello again,

One other thing that may correct a bad page preview when you print it is..

Print using system dialog... (CtrlShiftP)

.. or just click on the phrase near the bottom left of the page.

If this does not help, may I ask - do you also have Adobe Reader for viewing PDF's? If you do, you can disable Chrome's PDF viewer and Adobe's should take over automatically. If you don't, download the latest version of Adobe Reader and use that after you've disabled Chrome's PDF Viewer.. I believe this will operate as in IE while you remain in Chrome.

Google Chrome has had PDF problems since day-1 and nobody's working on a solution.

And I say:

I have already used the "Print using system dialog..." and it did not help. This is the dialog that I used with IE8.

Yes, I have Adobe Reader 8+. As you suggested, I disabled Chrome's PDF viewer; however, this also did not help. One thing that I do know, after some amount of experimentation, is that there is big trouble ahead here. As it stands now, no matter how I adjust the margins (using a custom adjustment), there is always some page which has perhaps only a couple of lines on it! I determined this by previewing the various pages. So if I print all of the pages, I am going to get a pile of who-knows-what. There was no comparable pagination difficulty with Internet Explorer! I would hate to be staring at this mess as a guide for my TCM recording work. "guide." This is indeed grim news :-(.

Incidentally, I have successfully printed other documents (i.e., outside of TCM) using GC. This suggests that TCM is primarily responsible for this pagination atrocity and has somehow managed to program its schedule printing based upon the use of Internet Explorer.

musikone

>Hi, musikone. For starters, this is how you "quote" part or all of the poster's message to insert at the top of your reply:

Highlight the part you wish to insert, then, when you want to add it to your reply, type a *>* at the beginning of the line you wish it to be on and paste the quote directly after it - no space. Then hit Return twice (or your reply will be incorporated into the quote box).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disabling Google Chrome's PDF Viewer Plug-in:

While you are in Chrome, go to the address bar at the top of your screen and type: *chrome:plugins* (Enter) - - You should see a list of plug-ins on the left side of your screen.. locate *Chrome PDF Viewer* and Click the word *Disable.* Reverse to enable.

Your Adobe Reader 8+ should take over automatically.

I hope this helps. I'm without my printers and feel a bit awkward offering

untested advice.

Good luck ;)

Ok. The best, and temporary, solution to this problem:

Use Google Chrome as your preferred browser.

Whenever you need to print the TCM Monthly Schedule, open IE8 in a new tab to run simultaneously with Chrome - using IE8 for the sole purpose of printing the TCM Monthly Schedule.

Running more than one browser at a time works fine. Leave it open or close it when your print job is done.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming..

• 2 months later...