Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eleanor Parker: June 26, 1922 -- December 9, 2013

BartonKeyes

"Eleanor Parker, an actress of patrician beauty nicknamed ?the woman of a thousand faces? for the range of parts she played, from a terrified prisoner in ?Caged? to the icy baroness in ?The Sound of Music,? died Dec. 9 at a medical facility near her home in Palm Springs, Calif. She was 91.

The cause was complications from pneumonia, a family friend, Richard Gale, told the Associated Press."

The entire obituary can be accessed online through the following link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/eleanor-parker-oscar-nominated-actress-and-baroness-in-sound-of-music-dies-at-91/2013/12/09/e4a3fc34-c5db-11df-94e1-c5afa35a9e59_story.html

OH, NO! I heard nothing about this on the news. Typical. 3 time Oscar nominee. I'm glad she was still alive to be aware of her SOTM this summer (I hope). I wonder if TCM is planning anything for her?

Ironically her SOM role is probably what she'll best be remembered for by the general public..........

One of my all time favorites. Unappreciated actress who always seemed to disappear in her roles. Its unfortunate she is only remembered today from SOUND OF MUSIC. In the mid 90s I sent some pictures and a poster from LIZZIE to her and she inscribed all of them. I always thought her performance in LIZZIE was equal if not better than Joanne Woodward's IN THREE FACES OF EVE.

We all know eventually they're ALL going to leave us.

Parker had a good career with many excellent performances to her credit, and was well respected and loved by movie lovers of many ages. She should rest peacefully with that knowledge.

Sepiatone

At least in this forum we'll hear from commenters who know her as more than simply "That "*Sound of Music*" actress".

*Eleanor Parker* was a solid, occasionally superb actress and always a striking presence.

She helped define a genre with perhaps her greatest performance in "*Caged*".

She was a ton of fun in "*Scaramouche*". No- Tons.

She brought (what we now define as) borderline personality to a frightening realization in "*The Man with the Golden Arm*".

Appropriately torn and trapped in "*The Woman in White*", with one character struggling against the confines of her own skin.

Those were my personal favorites among many fine efforts, of which "*Sound of Music*" was only one.

RIP

Edited by: Drimble on Dec 10, 2013 11:28 AM

Yes, every obit. I've read today has SOM in the title or the first sentence. I'm sure that must have irked her over the years, but her son said she had made peace with it. I think I read SOM will be shown Dec. 22nd. Forget what network (ABC?)

Well, I feel kind of ridiculous, but I never realized until reading this thread that the Baroness in THE SOUND OF MUSIC was the same woman I learned about by seeing her in DETECTIVE STORY, THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM and CAGED on TCM. I saw at least a half dozen movies of hers I had never seen before during her SOTM.

I wonder if the schedule change means TCM won't be showing romantic holiday warhorses A HOLIDAY AFFAIR and REMEMBER THE NIGHT this year - I feel like both of them have been shown each December for about 10 years in a row. Or maybe the tribute will be in the daytime hours.

If it had not been for SOM Parker would have gotten very slim coverage in the news and only be remembered by movie buffs. I am glad she made at least one classic which airs every year on Xmas. Maybe Parker's performance in SOM will encourage some who do not know her work to check out her other performances. Most of her films are available on DVD.

Wow! I was just thinking about her this weekend while watching her performance opposite John Garfield in "Pride of the Marines." TCM aired it on the 72nd anniversary of the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor. I hope she realized how appreciated she was.

Having Parker as SOTM changed how I viewed her. Oh, I was aware of her and had seen her in a few films (hey, I've been a studio era movie fan for decades), but she wasn't an actress I would of said I was a fan of until after she was SOTM.

Just goes to shown that even for diehard fans of studio era films there are still things to discover.