Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MaryLyn2

Thank You TCM! For celebrating Margaret Hamilton's Birthday

I saw a preview that tomorrow TCM is showing a number of Margaret Hamilton movies. I can not wait to celebrate her birthday by watching her movies. I have not seen or heard of many of the movies being shown. That will make it quite a treat. Won't get much done but it will be worth it. Thanks TCM!

Yes, kudos to TCM for showing some rarely seen films with Margaret Hamilton. I'm looking forward to watching Another Language and Mountain Justice. Margaret Hamilton was classic.

A couple or trivia facts about Margaret Hamilton.

She appeared in the TV sitcom "Lou Grant" as Thea Taft, a former city editor. She passed away about 3 years later

lg102b.jpg

Don't forget her Maxwell House Coffee commercials. That's why she was so cranky in "The Wizard of Oz", she haven't had her morning cup of Java.

hamilton+cora.jpg

This short shown on TCM where her son reminisces about his mother is a nice touch.

I thought it an interesting point he made in it that back before "The Wizard of Oz" was shown on broadcast television and became interspersed with commercial breaks(which as he posited might have helped "relieve children's anxiety" about his mother's Wicked Witch character) many a kid that would meet her in person back in the day would be too frightened to approach her.

"That's why she was so cranky in "The Wizard of Oz", she haven't had her morning cup of Java".

And all this time I believed it was because she was a wicked witch!

>This short shown on TCM where her son reminisces about his mother is a nice touch.

Is there a link to that? I don't have cable, but would really like to see it.

Margaret Hamilton contributed fantastic reminisces to a book "The Making of The Wizard of Oz", the only reliable window into her private life, and then only brief snippets.

I was struck by her choice to name her son "Hamilton". Wouldn't he be "Hamilton Hamilton"? She must have had another surname!

A really sweet and talented lady. Most people don't realize her charactorizations of a witch (especially the voice) became the standard and definition of what a witch looks and sounds like.

Margaret Hamilton's son's name is Hamilton Meserve. She was married to Paul Meserve.

I only saw the brief interview with her son one time. And that was yesterday after the movie It Happened on 5th Avenue. I have not seen it at all today.

Margaret Hamilton was a very private person outside her acting roles. I can't find *anything* on the internet about her personal life regarding her young life, wedding, husband and son.

Sorry Tiki, but I can't seem to find a link to this short TCM has been running lately. However, I did find the following on the internet, a nice write-up about her and short interview with her in an uploaded old newspaper clipping from the "Beaver County (PA) Times" dated Sept. 5, 1974:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2002&dat=19740905&id=BeEtAAAAIBAJ&sjid=yNoFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2391,1082535

>Margaret Hamilton was a very private person outside her acting roles. I can't find anything on the internet about her personal life regarding her young life, wedding, husband and son.

The Wikipedia page for Miss Hamilton while not going into great detail about her person life, does at least possess the usual cursory information in these regards, Ham.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Hamilton

The nice thing about this mini-retrospective is that we get to see some of her other roles, beyond the typecasting as a witch or weird eccentric.

She is very sympathetic as a kind land lady in CHATTERBOX, which aired today. And I think she does a terrific job as Wallace Beery's "love" interest in STABLEMATES, also shown on TCM today.

Probably my favorite performance of hers is as the stern teacher in THE RED PONY, a Republic gem starring Myrna Loy and Robert Mitchum.

I'm glad they showed some of her films too. They were somewhat entertaining.

I wish they would celebrate Edna May Oliver on TCM.

I've put in a request to TCM for several years now to show a tribute

to Edna May, but I guess she doesn't rate up there with

some of the ones they pick to do a tribute for.

With Edna May, they could celebrate her birth date and death date

all at the same time as she died on her birthday, Nov. 9th.

Larry_Driver wrote:

<< Here as a weird eccentric and below a witch. LOL >>

or vice versa. silly.gif

Wonder if this colorful kid her long lost relative?

casper-meets-wendy.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Dec 9, 2013 8:29 PM

Another performance of hers that I enjoy is her comic turn in THE BEAUTIFUL BLONDE FROM BASHFUL BEND, where she plays a suffragist. Like THE WIZARD OF OZ and THE RED PONY, this is a chance to see her in glorious Technicolor.