Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies About Movies

slaytonf

That seems to be the theme tonight. The best of the lot is Sullivan's Travels. But I have a couple of other favorites.

What Price Hollywood? is an enjoyable sendup/homage to the myth of Hollywoodfilmland. Constance Bennett and Lowell Sherman are so delightful that Neil Hamilton's obnoxious role, and the weak prescription ending can't ruin it.

Cinema Paradiso is a loving and sometimes gushy love letter to loving movies. Philippe Noiret shows people how to do it. Among other things, it also traces the evolution in mores in Post-War Italy, and how movies reflected/influenced it. And the ending--but would I ruin it for people if I described it? Well, let's just say it takes one of the most common movie conventions and makes it magical and fresh. It's great that TCM is showing it, but the first time you see this movie should be on a big screen. I never have.

slayton, you may recall, back in the summer, TCM featured the films of Francois Truffaut. Of course this included *Day for Night*, one of the most celebrated movies about filmmaking.

Movies about movies are fun. Since the filmmaker assumes that its viewers are film lovers, he often includes allusions to other films - a kind of "in joke" to the audience. It's fun picking up all these references in a movie about movies. *

One of the most famous of all movies about movies has got to be Fellini's *8 1/2*. Or rather, perhaps it's a movie about not being able to make a movie. Either way, it's a great film, full of funny vignettes, unusual characters, memorable cinematic images, and evocative music.

Edit: I should add that the kind of film about movies that includes in-jokes about other movies is usually a fairly recent offering - say, the past 3 or 4 decades or so (hey, I said "fairly" recent !)

Of course that's because the older films that are being referenced in the newer ones have now become legendary, and everyone will get the allusions, or in-jokes.

ps: There's always *The Bad and the Beautiful* (not my favourite, but definitely about movies, or at least Hollywood. Great cast, too -speaking of Dick Powell. I like it much better than *The Big Knife*, another film on a similar subject, made just a few years later.

Edited by: misswonderly on Dec 12, 2013 10:35 AM

My favorite movie about the movies is The Comic (1969), starring Dick Van Dyke as a composite of various silent film stars (though Van Dyke's Billy Bright seems to be based mostly on Buster Keaton, with an alcohol dependancy et al).

The film follows Billy Bright as he relates his life story from beyond the grave. Directed by Carl Reiner and written by Aaron Ruben (chiefly of "The Andy Griffith Show" fame).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings