Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Classic Top 10

My classic top ten are the movies I recommend to anyone who is interested in discovering the wonderful art of film. These are movies everyone can enjoy-no matter what age or what culture they're brought up in.

THE WIZARD OF OZ

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN

NIGHT OF THE HUNTER

SUNSET BLVD

CITIZEN KANE

ANNIE HALL

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE

HAROLD & MAUDE

PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY

PSYCHO

They all have drama, are paced well so not to be too tedious, most are visual treats, well written and most discover deeper meanings with repeat viewings.

Great Lists! I'm taking notes...

I haven't seen enough classic films to make a definitive list yet, so I made up a top ten consisting of movies that I am most excited to see some day:

Metropolis (1927)

Sunrise (1927)

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)

City Lights (1931)

Footlight Parade (1933)

Rebecca (1940)

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)

High Noon (1952)

The Night of the Hunter (1955)

Paths of Glory (1957)

You won't be disappointed in any of these, dirtyape. Nor will you be in nearly all the films from any list on this thread. Since these are "top 10" lists, they are the cream of the crop to each poster. Therefore, I would think there would be consensus that all films mentioned here are great, and well worth viewing. I wish you all the best in your discoveries, and the evolution of your own "Classic Top 10" list.

> someone has time on their hands, could they compile a composite top ten, from the top tens of all the posters?

LOL I have been doing that! So far, the winners (having 3 or more votes) are:

The Heiress

Sunset Blvd

All About Eve

Casablanca

Double Indemnity

The Letter

The Thin Man

Citizen Kane

Wizard of Oz

Rebecca

Singin in the Rain

The Awful Truth, Rear Window, 7 Days in May, It's a Wonderful Life, Laura, Roman Holiday, My Man Godfrey, Notorious, On the Waterfront, Night of the Hunter, Random Harvest, Rear Window, Sound of Music, The Third Man and The Killers were gaining fast with 2 votes each...

I love the movie "Two for the Road" - I got to see lots of movies in the Radio City Music Hall, how lucky was I. Lived in NY Queens and didn't realize all that surrounded me. I got to see Cary Grant coming out of his hotel and Marilyn Monroe (not together).

mbfan

Here are my 10:

1. A Streetcar Named Desire

2. The Ten Commandments

3. Splendor in the Grass

4. Nosferatu

5. The Bad Seed

6. The Unknown (Lon Chaney)

7. Wuthering Heights

8. Night and the City

9. Vertigo

10. Suspicion

Honorary mention: The Picture of Dorian Gray

Edited by: Geminigirl on Dec 15, 2013 3:28 PM

I saw Two For The Road while in the Army and had to be a different experience than Radio City Music Hall. But the film stuck with me and maybe two years ago, TCM Festival showed a restored version at the Festival. I was so pleased to see it was still one of my favorites. A quirky kind of film. Judging from the great, eclectic lists, it just goes to show that it's the films that touch us in some way that make them our favoritres.

My answer to this question would probably change daily as there are so many films that I absolutely love and cannot tire of; but today, if I were to make this decision, they'd be the following:

1. Casablanca, 1942. Fantastic film, I never tire of the romance, the music and all the memorable dialogue!

2. The Long, Long Trailer, 1954. I've seen this movie a million times, it's my classic film to watch while camping. I absolutely love "I Love Lucy," and this film is like a 90 min "I Love Lucy" episode. It never gets old.

3. Sunset Boulevard, 1950. The amount of crazy Gloria Swanson brings to this role is amazing and William Holden is easy on the eyes, so it makes it a win-win.

4. Double Indemnity, 1943. I never tire of this film. It has everything, film noir (one of my faves), romance, suspense, etc. Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck are excellent together and Edward G. Robinson is fantastic as MacMurray's boss who spends 3/4 of the film trying to figure out the mystery.

5. All About Eve, 1950. This film is perfection. Who doesn't love when Anne Baxter's scheme is exposed by George Sanders?

6. Adventures of Robin Hood, 1938. Errol Flynn. Enough said. Plus, the film is very entertaining as well.

7. Singin' in the Rain, 1952. Best musical ever. Entertaining from beginning to end.

8. Some Like it Hot, 1959. Hilarious. Jack Lemmon deserved an Oscar for this.

9. Sabrina, 1954. Audrey Hepburn at her most beautiful and charming and the film is fantastic. Even though I think Humphrey Bogart was too old for his role.

10. North By Northwest, 1959. One of the best Hitchcock films hands down. Cary Grant is fantastic and the film is enthralling from start to finish.

...If I somehow was able to do some favors and be allowed to take more films, I'd take the following too:

-Psycho, 1960. Probably my second favorite Hitchcock movie after "North By Northwest."

-Picnic, 1955. Even though I think Kim Novak is a little dull in this role, I absolutely loved this film. The "Moonglow" dance is fantastic.

-Breakfast at Tiffany's, 1961. I love Audrey Hepburn's glamour in this film and her relationship with George Peppard. I just can't get past Mickey Rooney in this film, and that's why I'd take "Sabrina" with me over this film.

-Gilda, 1946. I absolutely love this film. Rita Hayworth is enchanting and her "Put the Blame on Mame" number in the black strapless dress is a classic.

-Four's a Crowd, 1938. Not a classic by any means; but highly entertaining. Errol Flynn at his prime gorgeousness!

-From Here to Eternity, 1953. Montgomery Clift was amazing as was Burt Lancaster. The drama set against the background of the impending Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor added a tense atmosphere.

-Dark Passage, 1947; This film is not as classic as Bogie and Bacall's "To Have and Have Not" and "The Big Sleep," but, what I love about this film is the interesting first person perspective. I love this film.

-What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, 1962. Bette Davis is amazing in this film and the craziness is 100% entertaining.

There are so many more films I love, it is so hard to single any out.

Edited by: speedracer5 on Dec 15, 2013 11:28 PM

>Rita Hayworth is enchanting and her "Put the Blame on Mame" number in the black strapless dress is a classic.

I recently got to see THE DRESS in a Hollywood costume exhibit. You'd be amazed to see how teeny tiny that dress is.

Hayworth was about a modern size 3.

Here is my list:

1. From Here to Eternity.

2. On the Waterfront

3. A Patch of Blue

4. A Streetcar Named Desire

5. Sunset Boulevard

6. Pick-Up on South Street

7. Sayonara

8. The Wizard of Oz

9. Stalag 17

10 The Great Escape

These lists are always to tough because I love whole groups of films-- for example I adore every classic Disney animated feature films (Snow White til about the Jungle Book), all those 30s & 40s Capra Films (Lady for a Day/Platinum Blonde til about Wonderful Life), all the Preston Sturges films from the 30s & 40s, all the Marx Brothers films up to and including Day at the Races, most of Billy Wilder, the whole classic Star Wars Trilogy, etc etc etc. Then there are all the classics that I simply love but only watch on Holidays (White Christmas, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Arsenic and Old Lace, etc). I'm sure many of us have similar problems. (These are the kind of problems you want to have.)

But if I was forced to today to pick only 10 to take with me, I would probably go with these (no order at all), but if you ask me tomorrow they'd be different:

-- *The Apartment* (don't know why I love this movie so much, but I do--love Wilder & Lemmon, maybe that's why)

-- *It Happened One Night* (still my favorite Capra)

-- *Remember the Night* (not directed by Sturges, but my favorite of his screenplays, plus, you know, Stanwyck)

-- *A Night to Remember* (1958) (the REAL Titanic movie--so many layers of story, and by far my favorite British film)

-- *Sleeping Beauty* (my favorite Disney animated film--could study that animation forever)

-- *The Philadelphia Story* (great screenplay, plus Grant & Stewart should have made more films together)

-- *Singin' in the Rain* (tough to choose between that and Band Wagon, On the Town, American in Paris, etc, but I chose this one mostly because I never get sick of it)

-- *Yankee Doodle Dandy* (Cagney, Cohan, Huston, tap dancing, & a script I love)

-- *Strangers on a Train* (hard to say which is my favorite Hitchcock film--ask me again tomorrow)

-- *Stalag 17* (I'm entitled to 2 Billy Wilders because I love him--this one is a war film and a mystery and a comedy in one great package)

That leaves many others out in the cold, but that's true for all of us. Now that I think of it I'm not sure I could live without Mister Roberts or Twelve Angry Men or Rear Window, but that's another list.

You know, I half expected to see this type of thread on my LISTS thread over on the Favorites Forum. We have over 1,500 replies there with many lists available for viewing. Members should feel free to go visit that thread and explore the many lists that have been posted there over the past few years.

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=157528&tstart=0

Also American are known for liking 'happy' movies (or at least movies with happy endings) more so than dark ones (generally).

And they also clearly prefer fantasy over any semblance of realism. Guess they get enough of that in real life.

e.g. Casablanca over a movie like Sunset Blvd. I guess noir trumps all!

Except that Casablanca is hardly "noir" in any usual sense of the word. It's more like a White Hat vs Black Hat movie set in wartime with a sometimes noir actor in the leading role.

And so far here it seems like the only noir with more than one or two mentions for Top 10 is Double Indemnity, whereas several musicals and "adventure" movies have gotten multiple shout-outs.