Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Good movies with bad music

Sepiatone

Somebody recently ( not here) mentioned the movie POPEYE starring Robin Williams. It brought this to mind.

I actually liked the movie. The casting was right, the sets were fantastic, and the costume and make up people did a fantastic job.

MY issue is the music.

For a movie that's supposed to be a musical, the music SUCKED! It contains the worst collection of songs ever written for a movie. And I use the word "written" most liberally.

I suppose after all that money spent for sets, location(Malta), costumes and cast, there was no money left to pay a competent composer, I couldn't say.

But, is this movie the ONLY movie that otherwise was good, but had sucky music? Probably not. Your inclusions are welcome.

Sepiatone

The movie "Popeye" had a BAD remix along with the bizarre, unintelligible lyrics. The soundtrack LP is better (far as music only - not lyrics)

"Everything Is Food" is the best (in a manner of speaking) selection in the movie but for some reason not included on the soundtrack.

Edited by: hamradio on Dec 9, 2013 9:03 PM

Honestly I did not see this movie, I only saw a clip, but A Knight's Tale uses modern rock songs on the soundtrack and for me that doesn;t make a lot of sense.

And I know it's probably sacreligious or something, but I HATE Grease, both music and movie...

> If a musical film has lousy music, I don't see how I could possibly like the film

I guess you'd have to read, and read S-L-O-W-L-Y my original post to understand how, but I'll still try to explain.

The story was good. Williams' Popeye was spot on, which is no surprise due to Williams being good at impression and mimickry, The casting of Shelly Duval was the perfect choice for Olive Oyle. And she did an excellent job of it. Paul Dooley as Wimpy was a pleasant surprise, as was Ray Walston as a perfect Pappy. The only downside was Bluto, who was done by an actor I'm not familiar with and don't remember the name of, and a far reduced role and presence of the famous Popeye memisis.

The sets designed and built for the movie were also excellent. The costumes and make up work for all the characters was a marvelous achievement.

In between the lousy music was a movie with much heart and humor. One but has to ignore the songs when presented to see a wonderful movie.

Incidentally, I feel the same about the '70's movie BUGSY MALONE. A cute movie with an all kid cast and acted surprisingly well. The music, however, while not all that bad, was presented in a less than acceptable way. To me, anyway. AND to composer Paul Williams, I found out later...

As far as A KNIGHT'S TALE, the modern rock music as it's score was a large part of the movies charm, as it wasn't intended to be that serious an historical presentation.

Sepiatone

> Sofia Coppola did the same thing as few years ago when she made "Marie Antoinette". She used modern rock music for the soundtrack. What was she thinking? It definitely did not work.

Marie Antionette was an actual historical figure. I didn't see how Coppola thought it would work, either.

But the characters and story in A KNIGHT'S TALE was total fiction ( I don't believe jousting tournaments were carried out that way, nor that Geoffrey Chaucer hung around a group like that), so it was, basically, a "novelty" movie. And the strains of AC/DC is certainly "novel" for ANY movie.

Sepiatone

You may have been meaning musicals, but I immediately thought of the Sergio Leone westerns. I can't stand the incessant and overuse of the famous and apparently popular music in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and Once Upon a Time in the West - not that these movies are actually any good to begin with.

*The music for Popeye was written by the astonishingly gifted Harry Nilsson (remember "Everybody's Talking" from _Midnight Cowboy_?)*

Her performed the recording for the movie and had a big hit with it but he didn't write it. Fred Neill wrote it. Though Nilsson has plenty of other fine songs to his credit.

"You may have been meaning musicals, but I immediately thought of the Sergio Leone westerns. I can't stand the incessant and overuse of the famous and apparently popular music in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and Once Upon a Time in the West - not that these movies are actually any good to begin with."

Hose apples, the Ennio Morricone soundtracks are exquisite, and the movies are masterpieces.

Edited by: cigarjoe on Dec 11, 2013 5:57 PM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings