Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dear Heart

MelissaW.

What happens at the end of this film?! I have never seen it before (because I am not a Glenn Ford fan and in general, actively avoid his films) but I got caught up in it because Geraldine Page is just marvelously watchable. I got as far as her weeping in the apartment he had just rented when I had to take my son to work and now do not know what happened to Evie!

*SPOILERS*

THE END OF THE FILM FROM WIKI:

The following day, Mork takes Evie to see his new apartment. She talks about married life. Later, Evie spends the evening shopping and seeing sites. She has some upsetting encounters in the hotel late at night, and Mork rescues her from a man with improper attentions toward her. The following day, while Evie attends her conference, Mork meets with his fianc?e, Phyllis. Mork has begun to realize he is tired of womanizing and wants a home and a wife. Phyllis sees Mork as someone who can be a father-figure to Patrick and straighten him out, and who can give her the "good life" (free of cooking and cleaning) of hotel living. Mork breaks off his engagement to Phyllis, realizing he loves Evie. Evie, convinced she is unwanted by any man, leaves for home. Mork has her paged in the railroad station, and they reunite.

I absolutely love this movie, mostly because of Geraldine Page . She could bring people to life like no other actor---and I say "people" not "characters."

I also like Michael Anderson, Jr in this movie.

One bit of trivia: this movie features both of the actresses who played the role of Mrs. Kravitz in the TV series BEWITCHED.

This makes for an awkward moment t1834.gif. My comment of "I can't wait!" was tongue-in-cheek. I appreciate your love for this movie but I just couldn't get into it. I liked the story alright but felt it was too slow. Geraldine Page and Glenn Ford were both very good and Michael Anderson, Jr. was a nice touch. I liked Angela Lansbury's character and Barbara Nichols'.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a movie, with all my movie watching...that I never wanted to see.

It seemed from the synopsis, kind of boring.

But recently I decided to watch, just because yes, I do think Geraldine Page is magnificent. I can never forget her performance in that Christmas tale by Truman Capote, called "A Christmas Memory" which was on tv and all her other great assorted roles.

But back to DH. Well, after a slow beginning, one can really get into the "heart" of the story and she totally brings that character to life. She seems a bit pathetic at the beginning and I was shocked at how callous Ford seemed to be to her, which was a state of mind not usually shown on film.

But it takes one a while to realize what a really good hearted and lovely human being she is, since she seems shallow and a bit goofy at first. The scene of her leaving the hotel at the end and saying goodbye to all the employees, who obviously really like her... is touching.

Great film, too bad I was prejudiced against it for years but finally got to enjoy it thanks to TCM.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings