Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone else like today's college football films?

TopBilled

I'd seen College Coach and the last three already, and I caught Gridiron Flash for the first time today. None of the plots were particularly exciting, but I still loved several things about them, beginning with the introduction of the All-American team of 1936 at the start of The Big Game. It was fascinating to see close-ups of players I'd heard of but seldom seen in "person", so to speak. The first player shown was Jay Berwanger, the first Heisman Trophy winner, who played at the University of Chicago. Just three years later, the team had gotten so bad that the school disbanded varsity football, and used the basement of the football stadium to help develop the atomic bomb.

The other thing that grabbed me is the casual way that the idea of using ringers was so easily dealt with in several of the movies - - - College Coach, Gridiron Flash and Trouble Along The Way among them. And of course Pat O'Brien's continual jumping from one school to another in search of bigger and bigger contracts presages the Nick Sabans and Rick Patinos of today. All in all the atmosphere portrayed and even the primitive uniforms (including a helmetless Eddie Quillan) more than make up for the potboiler plots.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned OVER THE GOAL, which I didn't get the chance to see yesterday. I was cleaning a walk-in closet last night and I found some old VHS tapes. On one of them were several William Hopper films I had recorded from TCM maybe five or six years ago. OVER THE GOAL was among them. So I am going to try and catch up and see what I missed!

Has anyone ever seen THE SPIRIT OF NOTRE DAME (1931)...? Looks very interesting. Lew Ayres stars, and J. Farrell MacDonald plays a coach based on Knute Rockne. Andy Devine plays a character based on the Gipper. Universal produced this talkie, and supposedly while it was in production, the real Knute Rockne was on his way west to make an appearance in the film when he was killed in a plane crash. The motion picture is dedicated to him.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022422/

I will be watching the Super Bowl but I am highly likely to be watching TCM before and after the big game. I am also highly likely to watch quite a number of College Bowl games with some TCM before and after if they are movies I want to see all intertwined with reading great books. Ah the exciting life of a dead broke retiree.