Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm back from TCM Classic Cruise

brackenhe

Hi Helen!

So once again, I gather, a fun cruise. I have a close friend who went on it, I'll have to quiz her about it now that it's over.

Ben got married? ! I didn't know he was divorced from his first wife ! (Not that it's any of my business...but sheesh, sounds like I could've had a shot at that date I'm always yearning for. He and I were supposed to go to Musso and Frank's together. Strictly informal dress .)

Helenbaby, I'm glad you enjoyed the cruise - hopefully the pluses outnumbered the minuses. :)

I only took a few pics and I don't have any way to transfer them from my camera to my tablet. My SO has a laptop that I may be able to put the memory card into it and do it later.

Saw Jane Powell, Margaret O'Brien, Robert Wagner and Theodore Bikel have various interviews with Robert, Ben and Scott McGhee. Ben's dad was there and talked about his dad, Herman. The special effects makeup guy, Rick Baker, gave a couple of talks. The man who is head of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences in New York, Patrick Harrison, gave a talk and told us of a special that will kick off 31 days of Oscar about the 85 years of Oscar with clips from previous awards. Should be interesting.

Saw a rare color silent film, The Black Pirate (1926) with live music by the Alloy Orchestra. Starred Douglas Fairbanks of course.

My main problems involved little nitpicks about that ship. I was told the Disney aspect would be downplayed but it was kinda hard to avoid. Plus, my room was tiny, the elevators were tiny, it wasn't very friendly to those who had mobility issues, which were many since there were a lot of seniors aboard. However, the food was very good for cruise food except not enough salad. The staf was very nice. Most of the event venues were too small and filled up quickly, even the largest theater. The chairs weren't comfortable in most of them. And there was only one clock on the whole ship, in the public areas, which seemed weird to me.

Had a funny encounter with Margaret O'Brien. I saw her on deck Wednesday. I said "Oh! Hi! I love you so much." She said, "oh thank you. Can you tell me where to get a hot dog?" LOL. She's quite the character. She has several piercings and a tattoo! And she's tiny, probably 4' 9". She said that her red coat from Meet Me in St. Louis (made when she was 7) was in an auction recently and she could still get in it although a tad short. It once belonged to Michael Jackson.

Jane Powell did say her husband, former child star Dick "Dickie" Moore was very ill these days.

Illeana Douglas was there but I never saw her. They did show a couple of Melvyn Douglas' films so she probably spoke at them. Alex Trebek did 3 trivia contest but I didn't win any of them. Played Bingo with Ben but didn't win money. He did give me a hat though. Third cruise where I got something out of him during Bingo.

I'm sure I'm leaving out a lot but those are some highlights. There were tons of movies, but I'd seen 90 % of them so I kept busy with other stuff.

Yeah, Ben got married yesterday. I think he divorced his first wife many years ago because this girl, whose name I've forgotten, was with him on the first cruise, she was about to have their baby when we were on the last cruise in January and they got married on this one. The baby was there and she's darling. Her name is Josie and Ben's a proud papa. After the wedding yesterday they were taking pictures on the back deck outside one of the restaurants and I happened to be eating lunch when they were out there. It was really sweet because I don't think they realized a bunch of us were watching since we were inside and they were outside.

There is going to be another cruise in October on the same ship.

TCM on Facebook posted a photo of the guest stars and passengers of the December 2013 cruise:

(Young Ben M. is holding young Josie M. in the above photo...)

TCM also posted a bunch of photos at the cruise site here (from an earlier cruise):

http://www.tcmcruise.com/photos/

Have no idea if any message board users are in photos...

Edited by: RMeingast on Dec 14, 2013 10:16 AM

I don't know. There were many things that were different this time. I think I gambled a little on the first one but not last time. We did stop in Nassau and you could go to Atlantis Resort to gamble if you wanted, but that was just for one day. I don't know if people missed it or not. Nobody really complained about that much.

However previously we had open seating on Celebrity for dinner and that made it easier to go to events and still have a nice dinner with a group of people. This time we had assigned times, plus there were 3 restaurants where you rotated. If you wanted to eat where the buffet is, they had table service instead of buffet. Or you'd have to eat pizza, burgers or hot dogs. All this to say that most evenings I ate alone. And I missed some stuff because of the scheduled dinner times.

There was no event for returning attendees which they had before, although I did get an express check in, only to have to wait about an hour before I could get aboard. And we had free popcorn before, but not this time. LOL

I will probably have til April to decide. We'll see.

Thanks for the quick response Helen. I now live in southeast Fla. and have considered going on the cruise. I'm not all that interested in the gambling, I asked because when the cruise was first announced there were some complaints about that on another thread. Sorry that you ate alone most times and that there was no event for returning attendees. That sounds like it would have been a lot of fun, sort of like a reunion. You've been so enthusiastic about the cruise in the past, so I wondered what the difference was. Glad you got to go and Thanks for sharing your experiences with us :)

>If there was a chance that I could personally have a chat with Robert Osborne at some point I would sign up and go, but if he won't make himself available, hide in his cabin and only come out for the "shows" then I won't go.

If the Cruises are any thing like the Film Festivals, Robert O is hardly one to "hide" in his cabin. At the Festivals, he is a popular presence not only in the Roosevelt Hotel lobby, but in the theaters and even on the street. I have seen fans talking with Robert O during breaks of filming in the Lobby, standing at traffic signals waiting for the light turn, at Club TCM (and people love to get there picture taken with him) and Spotlight Pass holders get the opportunity to go to the Breakfast with Robert O event usually held on Saturday mornings where they get the opportunity to talk to him as well.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings