Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Bishop's Wife

mbfan

Believe it or not, this was the first time I saw this movie beginning to end.

Surprising( to me) sightings: Bobby Anderson( young George Bailey from "It's A Wonderful Life") as the kid refusing to let Debby (Zuzu from IAWL, too) in the snowball fight.

Except for the ice skating scene, which I thought was a bit much, it's a better movie than I thought previously, and I wound up liking it better than I thought I would. Can't say it's my "bestest ever" holiday movie, but a must-watch regardless.

As much as I thought the ice skating scene was too much, I thought it was brilliantly shot. You HAD to know it wasn't Grant, Young and Gleason doing all that fancy skating, but the doubles were well chosen, and the lighting was cleverly enough done as to where you'd hardly notice it WASN'T them. Excellent execution!

My wife made comment that her Dad couldn't stand Loretta Young. He always called her "cow-eyes" due to their size in proportion to her face. Made me wonder what he thought of JOAN BLONDELL, if that's the case. Or what he would think of ANN HATHAWAY, who does bear some resemblance to Young in that referrence.

Sepiatone

I first saw THE BISHOP'S WIFE in the late 1980's on the Disney Channel. I was sick at home, and the rest of the family had gone out to a Christmas party. Well, that movie really picked up my spirits and made me feel much better. A major component of this movie's magic is the score by Hugo Friedhofer. THE BISHOP'S WIFE just wouldn't be the same without that wonderful music. It's now a holiday favorite.

Yes, *The Bishop's Wife* is one of my very favourite Christmas movies.

I suppose almost everyone knows that the original casting for the minister and the angel was reversed: Grant was supposed to be the bishop, and Niven, the angel.

Hard to imagine that now, it's so perfect the way it is.

I love the scene where David NIven is "stuck" in the rich lady's chair !

Also, the part when Loretta and Cary visit Monty Woolley's apartment and they talk about his book and philosophize.

In fact, the entire movie is a pleasure - guess I love all the scenes in it !

Edited by: misswonderly on Dec 16, 2013 5:58 PM

*The Bishop's Wife is my favorite holiday movie and I don't celebrate the holidays.*

*To me the movie has a great message; One that applies to everyone, regardless of their religion or lack thereof.*

I couldn't believe some years back (mid-late 90s?) when a major part of the plot seemed to be happening here in LA. The then Cardinal of the Catholic Archdiosis was intent at all costs to tear down the mid-19th Century St. Vibiana's Cathedral, over at the edge of skid row, to build a grander church at a location that would more appeal to the apparently wealthy congregants that had the ear of the Cardinal, along with the power of the purse. Never mind that the Cathedral was a historical monument (this is LA remember), it was totally inadequate, and a more suitable building for the edification of the Cardinal and the wealthy donors had to be erected. Other than the (Arch)Bishop NOT having a wife, or any divine intervention by an angel, it mirrored the dilemma of Niven's character catering to the rich and forgetting about the poor in TBW.

If that is 1:15 EST that showing would of worked just fine for me since I'm in PST.

But each Christmas Eve I go to an Italian restaurant owned by my wife?s godparents (after the place closes for customers, around 9:00). They have the traditional Italian seafood feast. This year will be kind of sad since the owner of the restaurant died this year.

The bestest and wonderfulest and primest and choicest and unsurpassedest and finest Christmas/Holiday movies this year will be TCM's gift to us on Christmas Day of TOP HAT, SWING TIME, SHALL WE DANCE, CAREFREE starting at 6 PM MST (the awesomest time zone to live in by the way). I know where I shall be come Hell or High Water or free Cheeseburgers. Fred and Ginger!! Ginger and Fred!! To a Humbugian Grincher like myself it doesn't get any better.

Because I live with the awesome San Juan Mountains in full view in SW Colorado and with the wild beauty of Utah only a few hours away. We most definitely will have a White Christmas and then we will probably spend New Year's Eve and Day in Moab, Utah viewing the red rocks, cliffs, and arches with a white dusting. Location, location, location and because there's not a metro area for hundreds of miles.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings