Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Buy your insurance from Pacific All Risk

faceinthecrowd

No doubt this has been noted before, but I just finished watching the incomparable "Ace in the Hole" again, and I noticed that the insurance salesman says that he works for Pacific All Risk -- the same company that Walter Neff represented in "Double Indemnity."

I assume this was Billy Wilder's little in joke.

I believe it may have been also an issue of cost.

It is my understanding that it is dangerous to mention actual companies if one does not have their permission. Any implication that the company did not maintain the highest standards or to portray any employee as less than wonderful might leave the filmmaker open to a suit for slander.

It was costly to research whether they may be a company with a certain name before the Internet made such research cheap and fast.

The risk of a lawsuit would be reduced if the name existed as a fictional company prior to a real company adopting that name. It seems to me that reusing such a name would be better than having people spend hours searching through telephone books, lists of licensed companies and all of the other printed sources of company information available at the time.

As many times as I've seen both great pictures, it was only last night (or early this morning) that I caught that.

I noticed that T-shirt when I was Googling to see if there was a real company by that name. It would be amusing to wear it and see if anyone got the joke. If so, you'd know it was another film buff.

I read that "Ace in the Hole" got a poor reception when it was released; it seems that people didn't like the main characters (I wonder why?). But Billy Wilder said, "---- 'em. It's the best thing I ever did."

And it may be Kirk Douglas's best performance. Watch his face when the priest is giving Leo the last rites, and Leo says, "Bless me, Father, for I have sinned."

I'll likely order some books from Amazon after the new year, so that

would be a good time to include a Cain novel in the pile. I've read

most of Chandler and some of Hammett, but for no particular reason,

not Cain. Yes, it would be shocking if there weren't differences between

the book and the movie. Of course some are more extreme than others.

> I'll likely order some books from Amazon after the new year

I've found those books at a thrift store and paid a buck each! Even cheaper when you consider that "Postman" and "Pierce" were in the same book, and the Hammet was a collection of four novels in one volume.

Sepiatone

Maybe this is petty or just silly, but I don't like to buy used books.

I like a brand-new book, bright and clean, and with that new book

smell. I do have a few thrift shop books, but now that there is Amazon,

you can get just about every book you'd want, though they sell used

ones too.

addressed as "Mrs. Finney," which is the same name as her character in A Letter to Three Wives. I don't remember the name of the movie, but it was released in 1950, one year after Letter. And there are at least three m*The joke is so far "in" that you may have been the first one to ever notice it. I sure should have, but didn't.*

-------------------------------------------------------

This has been spotted previously...I saw it mentioned in the Wikipedia entry for *Ace in the Hole*:

"Frank Cady's character identifies himself as a salesman for Pacific All-Risk Insurance, a fictitious company featured in Wilder's 1944 film Double Indemnity."

I remember this, because after seeing that notation I listened for it. Thought it was cute. Never would have noticed without reading that. Good catch to the one who did it on their own.

I saw a movie last month when character actress Connie Gilchrist is addressed as "Mrs. Finney," the name of the character she played in A Letter to Three Wives (don't remember the name, but it was released in 1950, one year after Letter. And there are at least three movies with characters named Tommy Gordon.

BLU