Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why so much Vitriol, Hate, Meanness, and Spite on TCM Forums????

As of late there is so much hateful posting on the TCM Forums. Why is that? Has it always been here or is it on a surge as of late? Vitriol, Meanness, Hate, Contempt, and seeming pure Spite. I gotta admit I am a relative newcomer on the TCM Forums but have read them for a number of years on and off before I entered in and don't remember all this Hateful Spite before. Finding it all very disheartening and sad. That being said Happy Holidays to all and I hope we can all just getting back to being sincere movie buffs and not movie Nazis.

Sorry, but I'm not seeing what you're seeing here.

A few posters have 'issues' with each other, but none of that is 'new'.

Some posters leave because they can't take it, but I'm not buying the line that they were treated harshly or unfairly and this is why they left.

I feel they left because they just can't deal with people that disagree with their POV. To participate in this forum one has to be able to deal with people that will disagree with one's POV. Some people just cannot deal with that.

I agree - and there seems to be a surge of it of late. I rarely post in General Discussions anymore; I have a few 'close friends' that I regularly post and PM with and that's it. (It's fine with me, but there are days when I feel like I have one foot out the door.)

Some will even tell you they are going to "report you" because they can't defend their POV in a discussion.

Reminds me of the kids who lost at marbles and took all the marbles home with them so you couldn't play anymore.

Edited by: FredStoner on Dec 12, 2013 8:25 PM

I have to admit that surprised me. I get along well with the person and I didn't see you do anything out of line other than push your point.

But, I will point out that the purpose here isn't to WIN. We all have opinions and one's opinion cannot BEAT someone's elses (so there is nothing to WIN).

All I ask is that people make an attempt to back up their POV. This way if I disagree with it I know what the nature of the disagreement is.

Yes, you're correct. I should say "prove" your point. The poster opened up the discussion about the heirs of Audrey Hepburn. I pointed out what about the heirs of George Brent?

The key to getting along with others on the board is not to get too emotional with discussion.

All I've been seeing is a bit of pushback against certain people who seem to think that God died and left them with the right to dictate TCM's programming according to their own proprietary ideas of what constitutes "classic" cinema. Some of that pushback may wax a tad sarcastic at times, but I haven't seen it get very personal, let alone anything remotely approaching "hateful". At worst it's a bit reminiscent of the debates in the British House of Commons, without the noise in the background.

>Some of that pushback may wax a tad sarcastic at times, but I haven't seen it get very personal, let alone anything remotely approaching "hateful".

You don't see all the PMS and neither do I. But I have seen

some sent to me.

Jake in the Heartland

*Some of that pushback may wax a tad sarcastic at times, but I haven't seen it get very personal, let alone anything remotely approaching "hateful".*

You don't see all the PMS and neither do I. But I have seen

some sent to me.

Jake in the Heartland

That's right; I haven't seen those PMS. But I thought the title of this thread referred to the "Vitriol, Hate, Meanness, and Spite on TCM *Forums,* " not private messages.

> Vitriol, Meanness, Hate, Contempt, and seeming pure Spite.

Much over-stated. It's not nearly all that dire.

Most of the oppositions that come through have been doing so - in spots, now and then, here and there - for years. It's all part of the human condition and these forums are reasonably lightweight when it comes to the negatives described above. Too far over the line is dealt with capably by the system we have and its administration.

It's nothing unusual. There are always trolls coming on here trying to stir the pot then leaving. Banned posters often slip back using different names whatever. That's life. People dont get along anywhere on earth, why should it be different here?

I think that sometimes, people are a little too sensitive. Often, what is perceived as an insulting remark is posted tongue in cheek. ......Also, when a poster says that somebody's post is ridiculous, that doesn't mean that they are saying that the person is an idiot.

> PM's Private Messages. Wise Guy :-)

No, I think the poster meant PMS( pre-menstrual syndrome).

In referrence to how some are behaving on these boards of late. Sometimes it may be due to the frustration of having their posts constantly being taken out of context, or misunderstood otherwise. Those responses are understandable. But some people fly off the handle from jump when there's really no need for it.

What some must try to remember is that not all disagreement with an opinion is a personal affront. A differing POV should just mean the poster is offering another thing to consider. Others do so to( like me and a few others do) play "devil's advocate" in order to fortify another's statement or to get more info as to WHY any person hold their views.

All of this can be done with civility and reasoning, and why some go the ballistic route puzzles me as well. Even with the fact that I fall prey to it on occaision myself.

Sepiatone

Edited by: Sepiatone on Dec 13, 2013 11:07 AM

You don't know what hatred is on these boards. For that, you need to go back to the "Cinemascope" (and myriad other usernames for the same person) days! Now THAT was hate!! I agree, though, that as a rule, classic film fans are a cranky bunch. They get very upset if you don't like what they like.

I believe that it may be that it is more apparent because there is less content re: movies.

TCM appears to me to average thirty movies each month which are premieres or have not aired in considerable time. These are the ones most likely to engender discussions but with those discussions spread over multiple boards within this forum they become a distinct minority among the complaints and carping.

I believe that even the most genial poster can become disillusioned by the lack of discussions with merit on their favorite board and are likely to become terse with the posters who endlessly repeat the lies that TCM is pandering to a younger demographic or are changing their protocols or that TCM costs much each month or any of the other mindless twaddle. Their terseness fails to bring out the general good nature of the posters in this forum.

There is I believe the factor also that most idiots will become angry when they are proven wrong and that anger often manifests as name-calling or other juvenile fits of pique.

I have taken to replying only to those posters whose opinions I respect and I have implemented the: Ignore Member feature for those posters who are routinely rude or who seem to believe that their stupidity is a virtue. I have by this carved out a niche in the forum which lacks most of the Vitriol, Hate, Meanness and Spite.

As of late...

Been this way for years and years, roverrocks.

That being said Happy Holidays to all and I hope we can all just getting back to being sincere movie buffs and not movie Nazis.

Same to you, but don't hold out any hope for the latter. They have the majority here.

> They get very upset if you don't like what they like.

And some of them seem to like EVERYTHING!

All one needs to do is pick one well known oldie from the '30's or '40's, claim it's a dog, and sit back to see how many post reverent platitudes of how "marvelous" or "s'wonderful" it is.

Even if it's one that the general public has never heard of, it's heralded as a "gem" among other movies. There never seems to be an oldie they DON'T like, especially if it fits THEIR definition of "classic".

Sepiatone

*willbefree25 wrote - Same to you, but don't hold out any hope for the latter. They have the majority here.*

Yeah, you of all people can't spin those two categories around like that.

The former clearly like the entire history of cinema (which clearly you don't) and the latter...they seem to be the people who only want a certain "pure" set of films included on this channel and raise a panic every time TCM does something they don't want it to do. That certainly sounds a whole lot more "Nazi."

Oh, and using other people or imaginary "groups" on this forum as scapegoats. Absolutely "Nazi."