Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Audrey Totter: December 20, 1917 -- December 12, 2013

"Audrey Totter, 95, a blond leading lady of 1940s film noir who starred as a tough-talking dame in "Lady in the Lake," "The Set-Up" and "High Wall," died Thursday at West Hills Hospital, said her daughter, Mea Lane. Totter, a Woodland Hills resident, had a stroke and suffered from congestive heart failure."

The full Los Angeles Times obituary can be accessed through the following link:

http://www.latimes.com/obituaries/la-me-passings-20131214,0,7065147.story#ixzz2nT823GY2

Audrey Totter was one of the Great Bad Girls in the Best of Good ways. I'm watching my tape of *Tension* right now and will watch *The Unsuspected* later and probably *The High Wall* tomorrow. RIP Audrey Totter, you brought us hours of Great performances in Great films to enjoy.

She was truly a great lady of film noir. I wouldn't mind TCM replacing a day of anything they had planned to pay tribute to Ms. Totter's films. I must say, I do dread the day that Barbra Streisand sheds her mortal coil. I'm sure there will be a tribute and I can't imagine anything worse than sitting through a day of her films. For that matter, I can't imagine anything worse than sitting through one of her films :)

Yes, Totter did some great work but I question if she was under-appreciated. In the L.A. Times write up about her, she mentions how much noir fans loved her work even though it was limited. So she feels she was well appreciated especially given the fact she decided to semi-retire from films at a fairly early age.

She mentioned that even at a very old age she got calls from producers asking if she wanted a part, but unless she could play a bad gal she wasn't interested. She made a joke that there wasn't movie roles for grandmothers packing heat!

I hadnt heard this. Shocking to me to sign in this morning and hear about all these deaths. Awful. TCM will be busy with TCM Remembers the next few weeks. I finally saw the Eleanor Parker one.......

I met Totter at a book signing with other film noir ladies in the 90s. Spoke with her briefly and told her my favorite was THE SET UP with Robert Ryan. She told me that was her favorite film role. For a change she did not play a bad girl in that film.