Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Broadway dribbles etc..

butterscotchgreer

This thread is for discussions all about stories of broadway in the early years as well as today; shows you went to see; shows you would dearly like to see and anything else in between. If you were or are on broadway, please share with us, or just want to be on stage more than anything please pretty please, share. Heehee!

I have a loverly story to start the party!

So one of my best friends is BIG into broadway dancing and has always considered heraelf a great dancer, (trust me she is heehee) so this year for her birthday, she decided to have her party as a dance class and invi te whoever will come and have fun. Well naturally I just HAD to come, because I love singing on stage, but was never a huge dancer, so I was going to learn some good "Fosse" moves. Heehee! I do swing dance, but after this class, I can tell you that those two types of dancing can't be any more opposite. This wasn't a beginners class either. But it was sooooo much fun!

At the end of this class I went up to the teacher, who knows my friend very well from productions they have done together through the years and started talking to him. He procedded to tell me about stories of him worling with none other than Julie Andrews. I almost had a heart attack! My friend was totally waitomg for my reaction to that one, because she knew it was coming. Sneaky...heehee! He told me how julie really is "practically perfect in every way" and that she handwrites people thank you letters and is so gracious. I almost fell on the ground! Whew! Then he talks of doing Victor/Victoria with her in the 90's and how she had to sit in the palm of his hands while he had to raise her upwards to the ceiling andhow she was so thankful for his patience, because they practiced this over and over again.

Then he goes into talking about dancing with Annie Miller and Cyd Charise right before they both completely retired and going to an awards show with Leslie Caron on one side of him and Audrey Hepburn on the other side of him. And apparently Esther "Essie" Williams and Annie Miller both used to sware like sailors and steal all the candy from the lobby at shows. Heehee! At one point I almost fell backwards, but he just reached out to grab my hand and pulled me back up and kept right on talking.

Needless to say, I'm going to more dance lessons with my friend.

Annie Miller on broadway!

I would have absolutely LOVED to see her in Sugar Babies with Mickey rooney. I love the clip of them in the Broadway Lost Treasures collection

mickey-rooney-ann-miller-ronn-lucas-fran

Ann with Phyllis Diller

il_570xN.499144647_slwu.jpg

Sugar Babies with Debbie Reynolds

1708451.jpg

When she performed Mame...I'm realizing that most of my favorites played the part of Mame at some point either on stage or on screen. I think it's AWESOME!!

Ann-Miller-Mame.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the low updates, everybody. The holidays kind of slowed me down for a while.

JRXUG00Z.jpg

$(KGrHqQOKkQE1tPpIgF0BNpis)VRdg~~_35.JPG

I love this one!! John Raitt and Anne Jeffries together rehearsing for "Three Wishes for Jamie" on Broadway!

wt19_annjeffreys_johnriatt.jpg

Alright, sorry, I fixed the images. Ooopsey! :D

Edited by: butterscotchgreer on Jan 7, 2014 12:18 PM

> Fess up now boo!

Boo?

Really?

But yeah, you were "dead on" correct.

But it's NOT homophobic. I mean, if one can't laugh at themselves, they're in pretty sad state. And if it happens that Butterscotch ISN'T gay, then why does his prose FLAME so?

Having a few homosexual friends who DON'T flame probably lowered my tolerance for it.

Sepiatone

I agree. Even though Barbra didn't like that they cast her in this out of her contract and was always insecure about it, she pulled it off so beautifully and it was this film, itself, that made me initially fascinated with her to every extent! I also have to say that they could not have found a better director for the film. Gene Kelly put his own flare in it and it shows through it all. It wouldn't have been the same without the both of them. Hello, Dolly! is very close to my heart!

I haven't heard Ginger Rogers sing it. I have just seen pictures. I know Betty Grable portrayed Dolly and so did quite a few other actresses, but I have only seen pictures of those as well. Did you actually see Ginger do it? That would be SO COOL! :D

• 2 months later...

Question: Since many of us know shows from their Broadway cast recordings and not from seeing the original productions, which shows are the most and/or best represented by recordings? I think I remember a recording of the Pearl Bailey-Cab Calloway "Hello Dolly". Carol's 1980's touring revival was also recorded. "Gypsy" has also been recorded with different casts (Angela Lansbury, Bette Midler...not sure about Tyne Daley) Is there a "record" holder?

The Tyne Daly version of Gypsy was also recorded. In fact, every Gypsy Broadway production has been recorded. Plus the tv version and the movie. It might be the most recorded Broadway score ever, I dont know...

• 5 months later...

Question: Since many of us know shows from their Broadway cast recordings and not from seeing the original productions, which shows are the most and/or best represented by recordings? I think I remember a recording of the Pearl Bailey-Cab Calloway "Hello Dolly". Carol's 1980's touring revival was also recorded. "Gypsy" has also been recorded with different casts (Angela Lansbury, Bette Midler...not sure about Tyne Daley) Is there a "record" holder?

Dougie,

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. I have been quite busy with life. :D

I don't know if there is an actual record holder of musical with most recorded versions or not. That's a good question. It also depends upon what record label you talk about. For example, Decca records have made most of the recordings for stage productions of "Oklahoma!", but Capitol made the film recording of "Oklahoma!". It is truly hard to tell without tedious research on that. But I would wager that "Oklahoma!" is actually pretty up there with the number of actual version releases. Others high up are probably "Gypsy", and "Anything Goes". But that's just my own intuition, for I actually don't know for sure. But now you have me wondering.... Heehee! I, myself, have three different recordings of Anything Goes and 4 different recording of Les Miserables, 3 different versions of Phantom of the Opera (one of them given to me by Filmlover, because he is SO kind) and I think 3 of "South Pacific", one of those starring Reba McIntire, if you can believe that. Heehee! OOh, I also have 2 versions of Evita, but everyone knows NOONE can outdo Patti Lupone there (at least for me heehee!)... The list probably goes on and on for my collection, though those are off the top of my head.

It's interesting, isn't it? How different voices can bring a completely different aspect to a show from the original. Everyone makes it their own with personality and so forth and it's so amazing to see or hear all those wonderful versions to compare your favorites.

I thought I would post some different versions of Anything Goes to stick with what we were just chit chatting about. ENJOY!

It is soooo hard to choose a favorite between all these casts!

I60NKQJV71039_P662141_500X500.jpganythinggoes87_wc.jpg

I wanted to post this one, even though it is more modern, because it has Sutton Foster AND Joel Grey. GOOD GOLLY!! That is called pure awesomeness, ladies and gentleman. Heehee!

anythinggoes2011.gif

anything_goes_poster.jpg

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings