• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Star In The Night (1945)

FredCDobbs

12/15/13

*Star In The Night* (1945)

A great Classic Christmas Short film, 22 minutes

In this short film, three cowboys see a bright light in the distance and decide to investigate on Christmas Eve.

Dir: Don Siegel Cast: J. Carrol Naish , Donald Woods , Anthony Caruso.

Edited by: FredCDobbs on Dec 16, 2013 11:10 AM

I think it's lovely.

It's added as an extra on one of the TCM Christmas DVD boxed sets (4 movies: "A Christmas Carol" (Reginald Owen version), "It Happened on 5th Avenue", "Christmas in Connecticut", and "The Shop Around the Corner".)

It touches right on those feelings Christmas time can evoke, as discussed in that TCM Christmas Movie doc (it's a little one hour TCM - produced show about Christmas movies, forget what it's called).

As several of the speakers in that doc stated, if a Christmas movie -even a short one like "Star in the Night" - brings a lump to your throat, that's ok. There's almost no such thing as "too sentimental" when it comes to Yuletide films.

It's almost as if all those initially complaining motel guests have the Ghost of Christmas Present (the 1938 one) wave his "Christmas Spirit" wand over them, and transforms them from cranky and contentious to happy and compassionate.

"Star In The Night" is probably my favorite short subject. I love most Christmas movies from the "old classic" era, and I also love diners, so this great little film is the perfect combination for me. It just gives me a good feeling every time I see it. That J. Carroll Naish is such a cynical grouch at first (as are some of the customers) gives "Star" an edge that keeps it from becoming too sugary sentimental (although I guess I, like others, have a high tolerance for sentiment in Christmas movies).

>...It's added as an extra on one of the TCM Christmas DVD boxed sets (4 movies: "A Christmas Carol" (Reginald Owen version), "It Happened on 5th Avenue", "Christmas in Connecticut", and "The Shop Around the Corner".)...

It's also a bonus feature on the stand-alone DVD of "Christmas In Connecticut." I remember that when that DVD was first released, I almost couldn't believe my luck that one of my favorite Christmas movies had my favorite short subject as a bonus feature.

Great, great little film.

(There's also an old-time radio show of this story that differs a good bit from the film version.)

Edited by: BingFan on Dec 16, 2013 4:22 PM

*STAR IN THE NIGHT* (1945)

Will air again on TCM this coming *Sunday Dec. 22, at 11:36 AM* Eastern Time

In this short film, three cowboys see a bright light in the distance and decide to investigate on Christmas Eve.

Dir: Don Siegel Cast: J. Carrol Naish , Donald Woods , Anthony Caruso .

BW-22 mins, TV-G,