Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is It Weird That I'm Crying Over These Deaths?

SisterLuke

Hey sister, there IS a real reason.

The relationship the public has with "stars" or "celebrities" was explained in an academic book on the subject, STAR STRUCK.

In a nutshell, the public views celebrities the way our culture used to view family.

Traditionally, families were brought up together, in the same general area, you knew your cousins and your cousin's children, etc. When a misfortune would happen, the family would say, "Did you hear what happened to so & so?" Family members learned from other family all sorts of ways to behave and what to avoid.

With families fragmented and scattered, we now gossip about celebrities. "Poor Jennifer Anniston, stood up at the alter!" Caring about celebrities has replaced caring about those in our personal circles.

We "relate" to stories our classic stars "play" in a movie, a story, a morality play. We feel as if we "know" them, we care about their "career" ups & downs.

I think anytime an artist dies we not only feel sad because we think we "knew" them, but there's also a sense of loss they'll never create their art again.

I don't think it's weird. I cried when Elizabeth Taylor died. I met her many years ago and spent a few hours with her. She was so lovely and kind to me.

I never met Sal Mineo but I remember crying when he was murdered.

I remember getting teary eyed when Ann Miller, Paul Newman passed.

So no, I don't think it's weird. Even if we've haven't met celebrities that have passed, film lovers, lovers of all the arts keep a special place in their hearts for those who have brought so much pleasure to our lives.

No, it's not weird at all. I am very upset, too. Here's my take on the situation: To me, these classic stars remind me of times gone by. For example, I can distinctly remember watching Joan Fontaine on game shows as a child with my mother. What a treat it was the first time I saw "Rebecca" years later! Sadly, my mother had passed away by this time, but seeing Joan immediately stirred the memory of those times in front of the television with her. Joan Fontaine seemed like a family friend. Now that she is gone too, I think about those times again, and now I'm in tears. The same thing happens when I watch "Dark Shadows" or MeTv . Seeing these classic actors and actresses again make me think of my parents and my wonderful childhood. Sometimes I smile to myself, but most of the time a tear falls. It's very bittersweet. And the other thing is this: I know that we will never see the caliber of these stars ever again! And that's depressing, too. So sister, I feel your pain...................

That's a very inciteful post GeminiGirl. I watched *A White Christmas* the other night. (probably for the 50th time) . Although the thought has occurred to me before, Bing, Danny, Rosemary and Vera-Ellen all gone. When my sister and I were children we would watch the film together every year. Whenever the song Sisters was performed in the film ( 3X ) we would get up and sing and act the song out. My sister and I laughed and had a special time as adults remembering those times we watched and shared so many classic films together.

My beloved sister is gone now, but each time I watch the film I think of that time when we were little, and yes it is bittersweet and yes my eyes also fill up with tears.

There were dozens of films I also watched with my mom and dad. All these memories are so precious and we have all those wonderful actors and actresses to thank in great part for that.

Although I've usually viewed celebrity deaths as sad, even tragic in cases such as Mineo and Bob Crane, who were murdered early in life, I find it hard for me to come to tears over the death of someone I never personally knew. My heart does go out to surviving family members since I too, have experienced the loss of people dear to me. But that's as far as it goes.

The deaths of anybody who managed to reach a ripe old age, especially in the case of O'Toole, who spent years abusing his health, doesn't bother me as much as the death of someone with too many years ahead of them, as with Heath Ledger. Since Fontaine lived into her 90's, and O'toole was 81, I'd say that was a full life well past the expectancy.

And in the case of these celebrities, we know them best through their work, which luckily is still with us to view and enjoy.

May they rest in peace.

Sepiatone

It is not weird at all. I have shed some tears since last night. Joan Fontaine was my favorite classic actress and although I knew she was "up there" in years I never thought much about her dying. I always thought she would make it to at least a 100 years old. Seems naive now but I always thought she would be there. With her movies to enjoy, I guess she will always be there. Rip Ms. Fontaine ...thanks for the dear memories

This (possible) situation between the sisters is one lesson that all of us can learn from: Make your peace now with those you love (even if you may be estranged at the moment). There can be no differences big enough to warrant living out the rest of your life with regret. Call or email your loved ones as soon as you can and let them know you care. Take that first step. You will be glad you did, and I bet they will be also.

Well, every time an old Hollywood star dies, a little bit of Hollywood dies with them. There are few stars from that time that are left, so I dont see it odd that you feel that way. O'Toole and Joan dying so close together is a one/two punch. I had not heard that Audrey Totter died either..... Joan seemed so full of life in that interview someone posted just a month or so ago, I figured she still had some years left in her....

If people aren't shedding a few tears or getting misty eyed or feeling at least a bit depressed over these passings of golden ones then that would be extremely weird and I would question why they are on these forums at all. RIP great ones. Yours lives on the silver screen and off are immortal though your bodies were not.

Edited by: roverrocks on Dec 16, 2013 3:14 PM

Upon hearing of each passing I feel a loss inside, as if a piece of my life has fallen away.

I do not mean this in a light or joking way, but it's like the reaction of the Jedi Masters in Star Wars when a large number of lifeforms are extinguished. The overall Force takes a major hit which is felt throughout the universe.

I grew up with these people. They are part of my family.

>Upon hearing of each passing I feel a loss inside, as if a piece of my life has fallen away.

I agree, me too. Movies have been so much of my life, I sometimes want to fade myself into a movie and live my life there, and many actors seem like my own dear relatives.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings