Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

For Those Who Really Know the War of 1861-65

Palmerin

At the beginning of SANTA FE TRAIL, Jeb Stuart (Errol Flynn) tells the abolitionist ,,villain'' played by Van Heflin that the legislature of one of the Southern states has been considering for years an act that will abolish slavery in that state.

Did such an act really ever exist? I have read many books about the events leading to the outbreak of the 1861-65 War, and I have never found any mention of such action being undertaken by any of the states of the South.

Welcome to the boards!!!!

You might just want to perform a little research on your own about this. Considering this is a message board specifically about movies and not about political or historical events that may or may not be discussed in any film(s) you have seen.

We have often gotten into quite heated debates about this subject and many others, so it might be a better form of valor for you to spend some time reading up about this topic elsewhere.

However, there is one thread on the General Discussions forum that delved fairly deep into the Civil War quite recently. You may want to spend some time there reading up on what we all had to say there.

But, be advised, tempers sometimes will fly in the face of logic there.

PRAY THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN ON TUESDAY 5 NOVEMBER 2013!!!

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=171632&tstart=100

I recently read a book about relations between Virginia's plantation owners and their slaves over a 50-year-or-so period that covered both the American Revolution and the War of 1812. There was an abolitionist movement that was strong enough to get some bills on the floor of the state legislature, but they were all voted down. This was well before the Civil War.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings