Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Schedule - December 29

Circle Sunday, December 29 on your calendars. The previous schedule for that day has now been scrapped to honor two icons of Hollywood's yesteryear. The daytime hours will spotlight Joan Fontaine, while the evening will be devoted to the films of Peter O'Toole. The December 30, 'TCM Remembers' schedule remains intact.

I guess this falls in the category of what is a classic, but I don't think of Peter O'Toole as an icon of Hollywood's yesteryear. The three ladies -- Parker, Totter, Fontaine -- yes, they are icons.

Since the old December 29th schedule is still showing on the calendar as of the time I'm writing this, when are they going to post the revised one? And are they also scrapping the post-midnight silent and foreign films?

what was deleted on Dec 29 in order to make way for the tribute?

the tribute to Eleanor Parker today (Dec17) was originally full of movie versions of Shakespeare plays. they may or may not be rescheduled as a daytime block, but the lineup included films that are shown in different arrangements anyway. (A Midsummer Night's Dream '35, Romeo and Juliet '36, Hamlet '69, Othello '65 and The Taming of the Shrew '67.)

Too bad Fontaine gets shunted to the daytime hours, because that probably means no wraparounds from RO. I'd rather they waited till Jan. and gave both an appropriate evening slot. But since its a wknd. I'll be home to watch it at least.......

> Since TCM is no longer a classically classic movie channel, I hope they show Venus from 2006. It was his best movie.

So I guess you are sticking with your tried and true method of calling TCM for what you think it is....

A movie channel that shows many movies from all time periods, just not from the Golden Age, correct? I guess that means you think as does some others around here think that TCM is no longer a "classic" film channel? That they are changing their format and are now showing more recent films than older pre-1960 films, right?

As far as Peter O'Toole is concerned, all of his important films are from after 1960. So what would TCM do? They want to showcase his talents in a day full of his films, so I am guessing that because his filmography is from after 1960 at least for his day of rememberance, TCM will cease to be a classically classic film channel, at least for his day.

It is too bad.

I don't get involved much in the ongoing conversations here about what is a classic, should TCM be showing more recent films, etc.; but I do strongly feel that Parker and Fontaine offer increasingly rare opportunities to look back at classic Hollywood and films; Peter O'Toole is NOT in that league. With this in mind, I'm surprised TCM isn't just showing the dreaded Sound of Music as a showcase for Parker's career, to further pander to the masses.

>Too bad Fontaine gets shunted to the daytime hours, because that probably means no wraparounds from RO. I'd rather they waited till Jan. and gave both an appropriate evening slot. But since its a wknd. I'll be home to watch it at least.......

The longer they wait the more they will criticized. We saw that happen with Kathryn Grayson and I believe Jane Russell.

Plus, they will likely get criticized here for the films that get bumped as well.

They already had to change the January schedule when they postponed Mary Astor as SOTM from January to March and February is *31 Days* and they don't usually mess with that schedule.

So, I can see why they went with the schedule of tributes the way they did.

Well I for one love The Sound of Music. I never tire of watching the film.

Having written this, I don't think the film would have been a very good representation of Parker's work. Her role is basically an unforgiving type of role. I mean she wants to place the kids in boarding school so that she can spend all of her time with the captain?

She was a very fine actress. Especially in the 40's and 50's.

It's a pretty good film, just sad that it's the one Parker is most remembered for. Plummer has also lamented that, despite all his films and incredible stage work, he's most remember for The Sound of Music. (This all reminds me of a dirty joke, which I can't post.)

I much prefer Mary Martin's recording of the original Broadway cast of SOM to the film score, and it's far from my favorite R&H work.

I think Kathryn Grayson was honored during the SUTs that followed her death. But it was many months after and TCM took a great deal of heat in these forums for it.

Jane Russell died in February 2011 and in June of that year, TCM had a full day tribute to her on what would have been her 90th birthday.

A shared tribute day for 2 such exceptional stars?! To me this is uncomfortably like putting 2 cadavers in the same coffin. Separate tribute days, please, TCM! Ask yourselves, "What would Robert do?" Not this, I'm certain of it.

Whatever happens, the worst course would be to double up on Joan on the unhappy future occasion of her sister's passing. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Here now is the newly revised schedule for December 29/13, which will be updated on the official schedule shortly:

6:30AM *Blonde Cheat* (1938)

Joan Fontaine and Cecil Kellaway

7:45AM *The Women* (1939)

Norma Shearer and Joan Crawford

10:15AM *Born to Be Bad* (1950)

Joan Fontaine and Robert Ryan

12:00PM *Ivanhoe* (1952)

Robert Taylor and Elizabeth Taylor

2:00PM *The Constant Nymph* (1943)

Charles Boyer and Joan Fontaine

4:00PM *Suspicion* (1941)

Cary Grant and Joan Fontaine

5:45PM *Rebecca* (1940)

Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine

8:00PM *Lawence of Arabia*

Peter O'Toole and Alec Guiness

12:00AM *Live from the TCM Film Festival: Peter O'Toole* (2011)

Peter O'Toole and Robert Osborne

1:00AM *Goodbye, Mister Chips* (1969)

Peter O'Toole and Petula Clark

3:45AM *My Favorite Year* (1982)

Peter O'Toole and Mark Linn-Baker

LOL. Now that would be funny! (Joan and Olivia sharing a day) At least Joan's better films are shown in the afternoon, so I dont have to get up early!

I have mixed feelings about showing Lawrence of Arabia. Great movie, but it takes up a lot of time, so they dont get to show many of his films. Stil, I guess how could you not show it?

No matter what gets done here, TCM gets bombarded with flack. If they don't do these "tributes" in a hurry, they're in the wrong. What about the films originally scheduled on Dec 29 that got bumped? Surely someone is **** about that. Joan Fontaine and Peter O'Toole have to share a day. Joan doesn't get the prime time slots, but she does get 7 films compared to just a few for O'Toole. So who's getting slighted there? Will they quickly get squeezed into a revised TCM remembers segment? And who gets the all important "last" slot that means that star is "better" than all of the others? Can't we just be appreciative of the little gestures that are made on behalf of these people without reading so much into some hidden motivation or agenda?