Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Superman (1948)

hamradio

I would like TCM to show the complete "Superman" serial series released back in 1948. Never seen them before and think it would be neat for a Saturday.

A long since forgotten Kirk Alyn plays Superman.

Kirk_alyn_sup.jpg

Noel Neill was Lois Lane. Goodness she's cute during the 1940's. :)

2965847-untitledhhhh.png

Both Superman serials are in a DVD set from Warner Bros. for $12.99 from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Superman-1948-Theatrical-Serials-Collection/dp/B000I8OM94/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387338792&sr=8-1&keywords=superman+serial

They also have the first Batman serial on a DVD set from Sony for $8.29:

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Complete-Movie-Serial-Collection/dp/B000AQOHNA/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_img_y

Thanks, I would like a TCM marathon of both. :)

Is Batman as campy as the television series? We are missing a lot, I only have 15MBS broadband and don't want the low res, jerky Youtube ruin my first viewing of them.

Lewis Wilson seems to be the most handsome of guys playing the Batman role.

vlcsnap-2010-07-21-14h11m03s226.png

Edited by: hamradio on Dec 17, 2013 11:56 PM

I had planned to see this during its Broadway run. (Settle down; I'll tell you my plan.) I figured out that if I cut my comic book consumption in half, in a little over four months I would have saved the $4.40 cost of a ticket to a Broadway show. Great plan, except for the part where the show closed after only three and a half months.

Finally got to see it in 2007 when my friendly neighborhood college kids put it on. Definitely worth the 41-year wait. At the end of the 2-week run, I hadn't quite memorized all the songs, so I ordered the CD of the original cast recording. The first thing I noticed was that the original Broadway people didn't seem to be having nearly as much fun as my friendly neighborhood college kids. The LP is a keeper; the back cover art didn't make it onto the CD.

That?s Linda Lavin on the right in the cast photo. She had the show's most memorable song: You've Got Possibilities. She recorded that anew on her debut album, 45 years later. Got that CD, too.

>KEEP THAT LP!!!

Really? It looks just like the one in the photo. The back cover is the Daily Planet mock newspaper page.

Unfortunately, the box of LPs were stored in a basement, and every cover has a corner of water damage. Didn't hurt the vinyl, but the covers are terrible. Only keeping the Merman ANNIE GET YOUR GUN.

I was going to disperse them among my friends. If anyone here is interested PM me.

I had to know more about that sultry brunette pictured on the left of your picture here Ham, and so I Wiki'ed "Patricia Marand" and found that she was indeed nominated for a Tony for her performance as Lois Lane in the short-lived "It's a Bird..." musical on Broadway.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little surprised that no one recalls TCM's run of the the 2 Superman serials from 1948 and 1950. They were both shown Saturday mornings for a few months a few years ago. Each TCM 1-hour epidode consisted of 3 chapters of the serial.

I still have my recordings of them.

bOb

Missed that! Where is the *Repeat* when you need it?

There are a lot of those old theatrical serials that should be aired once in a while on TCM.

Here's another one from 1937. Has to be better than that Warren Beatty bore.

dick-1.jpg

dick-2.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Dec 30, 2013 11:35 AM

Ham, I guess you missed this one, too. I saw this Dick Tracy serial recently, and I am very sure it was on TCM. I DVR'd it, watched it and deleted it.

A few years ago TCM ran old movie serials regularly on Saturday mornings. I saw the Superman serials and the Dick Tracy serial, but I missed the entire Green Hornet serial.

bOb

Edited by: bOb39 on Dec 30, 2013 12:13 PM