Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
vecchiolarry

Linda Darnell

Hi Larry! Thanks for refreshing my memory about The Lodger and The Locket---I've seen

both and remember them featuring the same dramatic tone. I thought The Locket particularly

good and an unusual role for Larraine Day. He seemed a great fit for "noir" type movies,

and his films certainly do have a strong flourish to them that marks them as singular. I'm

surprised he didn't have a more prominent career.

I think, too, I now recall seeing his name on some TV episodes. Again, thanks

so much for sharing your memories on these threads. :)

Miss Goddess writes: "...Laird Cregar really had the kind of role that fit his somewhat disturbing persona to a 'T'."

Poor Laird. All he wanted was the girl and the music. I felt quite disturbed when I saw Linda cuddling up to him in the carriage. Ooh...shiver me timbers!

"The girlfriend of Cregar was played by an actress who looked very much like Claire Trevor. At first I thought it was her."

I did a double-take myself when I saw this Faye Marlow (?) I thought it was Trevor too.

"Linda looked ravishing and was very good as the scheming songbird."

My my my Linda Darnell did look luscious. A shame how her career wound up. She was quite good in this.

"I squealed with delight when I saw George Sanders, I didn't realize he was in the cast, too."

I usually head for the hills when I see George Sanders, but he served the story well. Always loved listening to his voice, though.

Might I add this: I missed the first twenty or so minutes. But as I was listening to the score I heard a refrain that sounded like something out of "VERTIGO." I kept saying to myself "This must be Bernard Hermann. I must check it out."[/b] Well I just checked it out on imdb and it was, indeed, Bernard Hermann.

Message was edited by Cinemaven: Geez, I'm damned good!! ;-)

Good girl! I wondered who the composer was, I think David Raksin's name flitted through

my mind (how Hermann would have spat at that). I even liked Linda's "version" of that

concerto better than the "serious" one. :P

I've always wondered whether there were any scenes done, and then deleted, of Linda perfoming in this musical in Hangover Square? Only the poster advertising it is left in the movie. since Linda looked amazing dancing (and showing those legs) in her first number, I'd love to see her in the costumes for those stage numbers (hopefully, if they were ever filmed, the footage exists somewhere to be discovered in the Fox vaults).

Message was edited by: Arturo

Lovely pictures, FG! :)

Here's a screencap of Linda from *Daytime Wife* in the new Tyrone Power boxset:

LindaDarnell-DaytimeWife.jpg

I need to get me this boxset...so many of my favorite actresses costarred with Power over the years. I bought it a couple of days after it was released, but then unselfishly decided to make it a birthday present to a dear friend of mine who loves Tyrone Power to no end, as does her preteen daughter.

She was an extremely attractive lady. It's so sad she died at such an early age. (42)

The fire in which she was in was in a home of a friend. She was upstairs, and tried to escape through the downstairs exit, but was overcome by the smoke. She was severely burned over 90% of her body, and died two days later.

Was she drunk? She had been an alcoholic most of her adult life. A possible solution--she was also a heavy smoker. She may have been drinking and smoking downstairs, dropped a cigarette in the sofa and went upstairs to sleep. The cigarette, smoldering in the sofa caused the fire. Befuddled by drink, she was confused about way to escape.

Only my idea, but it's possible...

At any rate, a very talented and beautiful acctress was lost to us in her prime.

BTW, a little known bit of trivia:

did you know she played an uncredited role of the Holy Mother in "Song Of Bernadette"?

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> Linda makes an extremely rare TCM appearance on Monday, August 18th at 6:30 PM in Second Chance.

Thanks Frank. I'll make sure to watch (or record) this movie.

Linda Darnell will also be in the film "_Hangover Square_" Thu, Aug 21, 7:30 AM (Eastern Time?) on the FMC (Fox Movie Channel).

image?id=79347&rendTypeId=4

> {quote:title=Arturo wrote:}{quote}

> I need to get me this boxset...so many of my favorite actresses costarred with Power over the years. I bought it a couple of days after it was released, but then unselfishly decided to make it a birthday present to a dear friend of mine who loves Tyrone Power to no end, as does her preteen daughter.

How generous of you, Arturo! I hate to admit that I still haven't watched any of the dvds in the

box set. I just haven't made the time. But it's wonderful to have them to look forward to.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> Linda makes an extremely rare TCM appearance on Monday, August 18th at 6:30 PM in Second Chance.

Thank you Mr Red River Valley, I will try to remember to record that---I've never seen it.

Thank you Mr Red River Valley, I will try to remember to record that---I've never seen it.

You will try to remember? Ohh, come now, Blondle.

I'm just about ready to start collecting some Linda DVDs.

Hey, Jim -- She was an extremely attractive lady. It's so sad she died at such an early age. (42)

Yes and yes. I have a tough time watching Linda's Biography because of how her career and life end.

The fire in which she was in was in a home of a friend. She was upstairs, and tried to escape through the downstairs exit, but was overcome by the smoke. She was severely burned over 90% of her body, and died two days later. Was she drunk? She had been an alcoholic most of her adult life. A possible solution--she was also a heavy smoker. She may have been drinking and smoking downstairs, dropped a cigarette in the sofa and went upstairs to sleep. The cigarette, smoldering in the sofa caused the fire. Befuddled by drink, she was confused about way to escape. Only my idea, but it's possible...

I don't think anyone really knows the truth as to what happened on that tragic day.

BTW, a little known bit of trivia: did you know she played an uncredited role of the Holy Mother in "Song Of Bernadette"?

The only reason I know this is because I have looked over Linda's filmography a few times.

" The fire in which she was in was in a home of a friend. She was upstairs, and tried to escape through the downstairs exit, but was overcome by the smoke. She was severely burned over 90% of her body, and died two days later. Was she drunk? She had been an alcoholic most of her adult life. A possible solution--she was also a heavy smoker. She may have been drinking and smoking downstairs, dropped a cigarette in the sofa and went upstairs to sleep. The cigarette, smoldering in the sofa caused the fire. Befuddled by drink, she was confused about way to escape. Only my idea, but it's possible...

I don't think anyone really knows the truth as to what happened on that tragic day. "

My understanding is that Linda went back in, trying to save her friend's daughter, believing she wwas still there, and was overcome by the smoke. what a tragic loss.

What movie is that from? I don't think I've ever seen it.

She looks almost as though she's hypnotized...

What movie is that from? I don't think I've ever seen it.

It Happened Tomorrow

She looks almost as though she's hypnotized...

That's because she is. You are getting sleepy, Miss Goddess...

It Happened Tomorrow!? I never heard of it...it's on dvd? What's it about? Who else is in it?

I just got the DVD and I haven't had time to watch it yet.

From All Movie Guide: Rene Clair's It Happened Tomorrow (1944) represents a kind of fantasy film that they not only don't make anymore, but wouldn't conceive of making in this way today. It should, on its face, resemble a cross between a Twilight Zone episode and Somewhere In Time, about a pair of lovers (Dick Powell, Linda Darnell) who are destined to meet but also destined to be parted, all by the strange forces surrounding one of them. Instead, Clair makes this into a charming romantic comedy as much as a fantasy film. rather close in spirit to Ernst Lubitsch's Heaven Can Wait (1943). Indeed, the fantasy elements are used as the basis for some surprisingly affecting romantic displays by the characters, sacrificing some haunting mystery elements in favor of a much more beguilingly sentimental story. Period films were considered poison in the early 1940's, and Clair covered his bases there by framing his story around the 50th anniversary of the couple -- which places the film in 1944, the year in which it was released. Clair thus gave It Happened Tomorrow an immediacy in its own time that the movie would have lacked, had it taken place entirely in the 1890's. More important, he focuses on the human elements and the foibles of the lead characters, which carry the tale into the realm of comedy. He also takes full advantage of the range of his performers to achieve this end. Dick Powell displays a brash but tough side, lighter than the rough image he first assumed in 1944 with Murder My Sweet, but heavier and more substantial than the light leading man persona in which he specialized in the 1930's -- he's convincing as an ambitious young reporter, but equally believable at the end, as he tries to take advantage of the forces at work around him, which seemingly have doomed him, trying to secure a future for his beloved, and later fiercely fighting with a thug on a New York street, knowing that he can't die until he gets to the hotel where tomorrow's newspaper says he will die. And Linda Darnell is not only the most delectable looking brunette actress of her era (it's easy to see the allure of her character's phony mystic act, as she looks irresistable in one of her "trances"); in Clair's hands, she also displays a beguilingly innocent, wholesome, lighthearted allure, rather akin to her 20th Century-Fox stablemate Betty Grable -- the scene in which she and Powell meet and change clothes in his room is one of the most charmingly, innocently sexy pieces of film of her whole career. The rest of the cast evokes the gilded age of the 1890's in all of its rough-hewn charm, with Edgar Kennedy especially funny as a blustery police inspector and Jack Oakie, in one of his most robust performances, as well-meaning man caught between his genuine desire to protect his niece and his greed. The film represents an extraordinary balancing act between comedy and drama, romance and fantasy, briskly paced in all of the right places and reflective and myaterious where it needs to be.

"I just got the DVD and I haven't had time to watch it yet."

I didn't know this was on DVD. A movie Linda made on loan to UA; maybe this non-Fox movie can be shown on TCM in a first ever featuring of her...say for her B-day in October, or next year's Summer Under The Stars...or....

Hi, Arturo -- I didn't know this was on DVD. A movie Linda made on loan to UA; maybe this non-Fox movie can be shown on TCM in a first ever featuring of her...say for her B-day in October, or next year's Summer Under The Stars...or....

TCM's sked is pretty much set through November, so the earliest It Happened Tomorrow could air would be in December. I'd love to see Linda as part of "Summer Under the Stars." If only TCM could get their hands on her Fox films.

At this point, I'd just love to see a block of Linda films in a day. That would be lovely.

The following Linda films are on DVD (Region 1):

Day-Time Wife

Brigham Young

The Mark of Zorro

Blood and Sand

City Without Men

The Song of Bernadette

Buffalo Bill

It Happened Tomorrow

Hangover Square

Fallen Angel

Anna and the King of Siam

My Darling Clementine

Unfaithfully Yours

A Letter to Three Wives

No Way Out

Zero Hour!

LindaDarnell.jpg

LindaDarnell2.jpg

with Henry Fonda in *Chad Hanna* - I'd love to see this movie.

LindaDarnellHenry-ChadHanna.jpg

with Rex Harrison in *Unfaithfully Yours* (scary!)

LindaRex-UnfaithfullyYours.jpg

with Richard Widmark in *Slattery's Hurricane*

LindaRichard-SlatterysHurricane.jpg

with Sidney Poitier and Richard Widmark in *No Way Out*

LindaSidneyRichard-NoWayOut.jpg

Linda-NoWayOut.jpg