Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Film where you walked out and demanded your money back

SMALL TIME CROOKS would work very well on TCM as part of a double feature with IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD.

I don't agree.

There is so much hype and publicity (especially since the emergence of the internet) around film releases, it's almost impossible to not have some sense of what kind of movie you'll be seeing before you pay the ticket price to attend it.

So, if you want to make some kind of statement about your disapproval of poor quality films being made, just stay away from it.

Most people do have a general idea about the genre, production values, cast, plot, etc. of the film they plan to attend. There is certainly no lack of resources to uncover such information.

So if they still don't like the movie, too bad. You can't always get what you want.

I believe that people need to take responsibility for their own choices. If I attend a film I don't like, c'est dommage. I'll live. I cannot blame the filmmaker, distributor, or cinema company for my negative experience.

As I said, if you want to feel you're taking some kind of action to discourage the production of what you consider to be sub-par movies, don't support them.

(Although I doubt if this would make a difference, since there seem to be many who enjoy sub-par entertainment. As we all know, one person's trash is another person's treasure..)

1. Howard the Duck (So awful I stopped watching it on HBO and decided to clean the toilet instead)

2. Heaven's Gate (My sister said it was even worse than the reviews)

3. Supergirl (My brother said Faye Dunaway was most memorably awful)

I never thought of asking for my money back (if I had, it probably would have been for Blair Witch Project, which I considered a totally overhyped waste of my time - but it was my fault, not the theater's, for being taken in by that hype).

The closest I ever came to walking out on the film was during the "Squeal like a Pig" sequence involved Ned Beatty in Deliverance. I had heard that was an adventure film about four guys taking a canoe trip into the wilds. I had NO IDEA (!!!!) there was a scene in the film like that. Neither did my buddy watching the film with me. He kept his eyes on the theater floor during the entire sequence, merely saying to me, "Tell me when it's over."

There have been, of course, far more graphic scenes in movies since that 1972 effort but at the time I was completed turned off by its inclusion in an otherwise well made film. Never did I appreciate seeing anyone firing an arrow from a bow in a film more than when Burt Reynolds did to end that sequence of perverted degradation.

I've since read that Ned Beatty was really freaking out about shooting that scene, particularly with the actor involved. I can well understand why. The thought of that scene had stopped me from viewing Deliverance a second time (though, of course, I could fast forward through the scene or, like my friend, keep my eyes on the floor while it played).

TopBilled,

Generally speaking, I see your point. However, ANGELA'S ASHES was not a "poor film." You did not like the bleak nature of the story, but the film itself was very well made with some very moving performances. It had a lot to say about the sacrifices that mothers make for their children that often go unappreciated.

Extremely uncomfortable. (And I suspected that question would be coming).

> I had heard that was an adventure film

Really more of a misadventure film. Backwoodsmen have certainly been more frightening for most of us to contemplate since 1972.

Who here is the brutish bully who would DEMAND (not request) his money back from the 14-year old girl working in the ticket booth?

*Deliverance* -- saw it in college with a bunch of college buddies. We knew that scene was coming because it was in the book.

But a few years earlier, as a high schooler, I'd gone to see *Catch-22* by myself, not knowing the novel. Wasn't prepared for the violence and didn't make it through to the end. I think it's the only movie I ever walked out of.

I think I should have walked out of *The Tamarind Seed*, though -- talk about borrrrring.

I'm seeing a lot of similarity to the Red Skelton thread here. One guy walks out of a movie they found "boring". Someone replies that THEY thought it was "great".

The thing to remember here is that the question was simply about which film you walked out on and demanded your money back. If someone mentions a movie you really liked, so what? Just leave it at that.

There were several movies that I WANTED to walk out on, but my wife was digging them, so I just took a nap. But I never asked for my money back. There were a lot of things I wasted MORE money on that I'll never recoup, so I just chalk it up as a bad investment, and put it on my list of movies I WON'T be wasting money on in tape/DVD purchase later on.

And I STILL can't figure out the difference between being "too young" and "not old enough".

Sepiatone

> One guy walks out of a movie they found "boring". Someone replies that THEY thought it was "great".

>

> The thing to remember here is that the question was simply about which film you walked out on and demanded your money back. If someone mentions a movie you really liked, so what? Just leave it at that.

The boss has spoken. No more contrary responses - got it?

>I never thought of asking for my money back (if I had, it probably would have been for Blair Witch Project, which I considered a totally overhyped waste of my time - but it was my fault, not the theater's, for being taken in by that hype).

I saw it when it was just an internet rumor and it was thought that it was a documentary. I saw it in a room of teens/twenties people like myself at the time. The last 30 mins of the film was the first and only time I had been around that many young people and it was completely silent ! Not a word or fidget or any movement at all. That film was very effective in its proper setting. Of course once you know its just another movie, the effect is lost and its not so good.

"The perfect storm" - We didn't walk out but, one friend shouted out in the middle of the quiet film "WHAT'S GOING ON HERE !! because it went no where. Then at the end you find out there were no survivors so where did the story come from ??? Too late to get a refund :-(

I wasn't alone at my theatre in finding Blair Witch Project a waste of time.

The first words I heard from another audience member as the film ended was "What a ripoff."

When I then went to the washroom I heard a one sentence review of the film from one of the men standing at a stall when he said, "My girlfriend talked me into coming to see this thing."

He really didn't have to say anything beyond that. Only to applify the wrong decsion that I made to see Blair Witch, I picked it over The Sixth Sense. Just dumb luck, of course. I eventually saw the Bruce Willis film when it came out on video tape, and loved it. It would have been a memorable treat on the big screen.

Glad you mentioned THE SIXTH SENSE. I did see that one on the big screen and I thought it was fabulous. An instant classic. Definitely had no intention of asking for my money back! Just checked and it made $672 million.

Yep, no question about it. I made the WROOOOONG choice when I decided to go to the show to see Blair Witch Project rather The Sixth Sense. Them's the breaks.

Well, as you can imagine, Sixth Sense, at least, holds an honoured position in my DVD collection today.

> "My girlfriend talked me into coming to see this thing."

I will never forget being dragged to the theater by my bf to see CLASH OF THE TITANS, I thought- what a horrible title! Well, of course, I loved it. It was before I was Harryhausen-aware.

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK was another terrible title I was dragged to-obviously I had larned my lesson about prejudgement.

I've sat through a lot of what I consider horrible films and definitely leave for popcorn during sex scenes. I do not understand WHY anyone feels the need to include these scenes-we all know what it looks like-and it never furthers the story at all.

2 movies that come to mind are AN OFFICER & A GENTLEMAN and WATER FOR ELEPHANTS. And I did walk out for AO&AG.

That, and ARMY OF DARKNESS are the only two.

I kinda liked the BLAIR WITCH PROJECT. And, incidentally, for the same reasons other people said they hated it for. One nephew griped that, "They never show the Blair witch!". Yeah, that's the main reason I liked it. But if you never saw it, here's some advice:

DON'T wait for some "art house" theater to revive it and see it on the big screen. It works better on the tube. All that jerky camera footage gets to ya on the big screen. When I saw it at the show, I too, thought I would have some kind of seizure.

I suppose what many people didn't like about it was that it wasn't the usual blood-guts-and gore type of "horror" flick-full-of-cliched images they tend to go for these days. You know...the distended jaws or mutant looking creatures crawling on ceilings at fast speed kind of sh!t you see TOO much of lately.

Sepiatone

"Punchline" with Tom Hanks and Sally Field

"Robin Hood: Men in Tights"

I LOVE Tom Hanks films and Mel Brooks comedies, but Yikes! on both of these!

I don't believe that any movie gets better with age. The only thing that changes is appreciation of it, how people react to it from one time to another.

>I kinda liked the BLAIR WITCH PROJECT. And, incidentally, for the same reasons other people said they hated it for. One nephew griped that, "They never show the Blair witch!". Yeah, that's the main reason I liked it. But if you never saw it, here's some advice:

I liked it too, but you're right--the jerky camera-work made me a bit queasy when I saw it at the theatre. It was an interesting premise, with a well-done internet campaign. Well before the movie was released, this timeline appeared on a mythology-type website:

http://www.blairwitch.com/mythology.html

Many people thought it was real and that was a large part of the reason for it's success.

I should have walked out of a film called EL TOPO. Instead I just went to sleep.

I never saw that movie, and I doubt if until tonight I've even thought about it since the year (1970) it came out. But I'll never forget the promo line that they used to advertise it on the radio:

*"FILMED IN SOUTH AMERICA - - - - WHERE LIFE IS CHEAP"*

For me that's always been right up there with the old Mogen David wine ad that claimed that it was *"AS MODERN AS A PEACE DEMONSTRATION".*

It's not hard to guess when *that* one was running. ;)