Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stepford Wives censored

Stephen444

I happened to wake up last night and was watching the Stepford Wives on TCM. I noticed in the scene where the Stepford wives were meeting toward the beginning of the movie and two wives were talking about the wonders of "Easy Off" at which point Paula Prentiss says under her breath "Holy Sh*t" but "Holy Cow" was dubbed in. Anyone else notice this? I don't know if any other changes occurred but it is worth noting a an example where TCM did not show the uncensored original version.

That's interesting, because they just showed Dog Day Afternoon, and there are F-bombs all over the place in that movie. I like to believe TCM is not in the business of actively censoring its content. I assume the Stepford Wives print had already been altered for some previous airing elsewhere, and no one at TCM was aware of the alteration or couldn't do anything about it.

I recently rewatched a recording I had made of Reds from a 31 Days of Oscar month a number of years ago and was surprised to see all profanity stronger than hell or damn had been dubbed out. There were no "motherlover" type overdubs; the soundtrack would just go silent for a second; you could see the actors' lips moving and tell what the words were you were missing. So, there was another incidence of TCM airing previously edited content.

They were likely sent a "clean" copy of *Stepford Wives* by mistake.

A few years ago a similar situation happened with *Reds* and TCM went back to the studio and got a copy of the film as released and arranged for another broadcast of the film a few months later, profanity intact.

"Clean" copies are made for over the air network broadcast and airline flights (among others) and some one at the studio distribution end sent the wrong copy to TCM it sounds like.

I thought it odd they would let it go in one scene, but not the other.

"Shoot", I wondered, "What the freak were they thinking? If they think I'm going to stand for all this freakin' censorship, they can kiss my butt, those gosh-darned morganfreemans!"

I was picked off!

Sepiatone

>They were likely sent a "clean" copy of Stepford Wives by mistake.

OMG!! A "clean" copy of a film with no SH** in it! I waited all through that movie to hear the word SH** ! I'm so disappointed!

Call out the National Guard!! Notify the Justice Department! Mobilize the SH** Vigilante Committee! Riot in the Streets!!

DANG! WE CAN'T HAVE ANY "CLEAN" COPIES OF FILMS AROUND THIS PLACE!! OH, THE HUMANITY!

Hey, Fred;

Do you go to art museums and place strips of electrical tape over certain spots on the paintings?

Would you prefer that LIDA wear a flannel nightgown while being violated by that SWAN?

Should THE DAVID be sporting BOXERS?

;)

Sepiatone

>Do you go to art museums and place strips of electrical tape over certain spots on the paintings?

LOL! Are you crazy? NO, I go to art museums to look at the pictures of the naked ladies. :) But I don't take any children along with me. :)

You see, TCM is not an ADULT FILM CHANNEL. It is a FAMILY CHANNEL.

I'm not calling for the censorship of movie by TCM, but if a SH** or two is missing from the copy of the film shipped to TCM "by mistake", I don't freak out. :P

> You see, TCM is not an ADULT FILM CHANNEL. It is a FAMILY CHANNEL.

It wasn't that many generations ago that Laura Ingalls grew up in that little house on the prairie. I'm sure she heard the bumping and grinding of the sex that Charles and Caroline had which produced her three younger siblings.

More related to classic movies, there's a contraception joke in *Yours, Mine, and Ours*, too.

>You see, TCM is not an ADULT FILM CHANNEL.

Neither are The Museum of Modern Art, The Art Institute of Chicago, the Detroit Institute of Arts and the Cleveland Museum of Art, among others, ADULT museums, Children are welcome to view all the art even those paintings you claim you wouldn't take your children to see,

>It wasn't that many generations ago that Laura Ingalls grew up in that little house on the prairie

Oh? Did they use the word SH** a lot in that show? I don't recall ever hearing it.

Do the big art museums hang up big signs that read SH**? I don't recall seeing any in the National Gallery in Washington or the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

:)

>I would describe a clean copy as not being altered.

TCM shows altered film versions all the time.

When I saw APOCALYPSE NOW in a theater in 1979, the village at the end was destroyed by napalm bombs. Now TCM shows an altered version where the village is not destroyed.

The original 1958 version of TOUCH OF EVIL that I first saw was the original theatrical version and it was shorter than the one TCM shows now, and TCM used to show the original version. But now TCM shows an altered and re-edited 1978 version with 4 minutes of film added that were never in the original 1958 version, and with other parts of the film re-edited in different ways.

When I first saw REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE in a theater in 1967, the film was color-desaturated, except for the color red. American Cinematographer had a major article about how Huston managed to remove the color from the color film, except for red. That?s the way John Huston designed it to be released. But now TCM shows a gold-toned version, which is not the way John Huston wanted the film to be, and it never was gold toned until TCM showed it that way.

TCM shows a lot of altered and re-edited films that do not match the original theatrical-release versions.

>She has a Southern lilt to her voice. Paula Prentiss's voice reminds of Joanne Woodward's. Both women are from Southern states.

Yes, which is a bit ironic in my case, as in most cases a woman with a Southern accent has never held much of a spell over this native Californian and now Arizonan here, and yet in both the cases of Miss Prentiss and Miss Woodward, I've always thought THEIR voices very appealing...especially the lower register of Miss Prentiss'.

(...go figure, huh?!)

Sepiatone wrote:

<< Hey, Fred;

Do you go to art museums and place strips of electrical tape over certain spots on the paintings? >>

Your post reminded me of the scene in "Angles and Demons" of Robert Langdons displeasure with the Vatican vandalism of the works of art (statues) Inspector Olivetti replying to Langdon's description of Pius IX's "Great Castration" of Vatican City's male statues...Are you anti-Catholic Mr. Langdon?

Robert Langdon: No. I'm anti-vandalism.

Edited by: hamradio on Dec 21, 2013 9:18 PM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings