Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BEN HUR (1925) late Sunday night Dec 22, 2013

FredCDobbs

Midnight Sunday Dec. 22, Eastern Time:

*Ben-Hur: A Tale Of The Christ* (1925)

In this silent film, a rebellious Israelite prince out for vengeance crosses paths with the Messiah.

Dir: Fred Niblo Cast: Ramon Novarro , Francis X. Bushman , May McAvoy .

BW-143 mins, TV-G,

I saw most of this film the last time TCM aired it. It compares well with the newer 59' version for the spectacular scenes. And I like watching Ramon Novarro. But as was pointed out on a previous thread, how many horses died filming that chariot race? I'm sorry Fred, knowing about that makes me uneasy watching the film again.

Three horses are known to have died during the filming of the chariot race under the supervision of noted horse-killer ("The Charge of the Light Brigade") second-unit director B. Reeves Eason.

One person may have died during the filming of the chariot race (there's a still photo of one of the charioteers, apparently dead, under a pile of clearly dead horses), though it's unconfirmed. There were three extras who were thought to have drowned during the filming of the sea-battle sequence in Italy -- they'd been asked whether they could swim by those hiring for MGM and, wanting the work, replied that they did, even though it was a lie. A few days after they disappeared during the sinking of one of the Roman galleys they finally turned up, still in costume -- demanding their own clothes be returned.

All this and more is detailed wonderfully in Kevin Brownlow's masterful book, "The Parade's Gone By."