Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

USO shows

matt89

I'm looking into if Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney and Glean Strange ever did USO shows in the 40's my grandfather told me a story he was in CA and he went to and felt these big hand on him and he turned around it was the Monster I try writing to USO but they did not give me any info because all the info has since been lost and i wanting to know if it true or not i Google and went on ever site that had things to do with the actors to see if it shows up but nothing. I would like to know some info about this

thank you for your help

I may be able to offer some info that might help, and it is from an unusual source. I do not know if you have MeTV on your cable package, but there is a syndicated weekly horror movie on Saturday nights hosted by a character named "Svengoolie", played by Chicago TV personality Rich Koz. It is patterned after the late night horror hosts that were a staple of local TV stations in the past. They have had a slew of Abbott & Costello comedies lately including "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein" (1948) with Lugosi as Dracula, Chaney as the Wolfman, and Strange as the Monster since Karloff refused to reprise his role. According to the info on "Svengoolie", the cast members made many personal appearances in character to promote the film. It must have worked because the film did great at the box office, and led to a series of similar Abbott & Costello films after this one. I would not be surprised if your grandfather saw one of these promotional events, which may have been part of a USO bill. I don't know where they got this info, but it is quite a coincidence that this was just on a couple weeks ago.

no idea i remember him saying they where in full makeup when i heard him tell me this i was in first grade and he since has passed away so i cant ask him. I think its going to be one of those mysteries that will stay hidden lol

bu the years dont match up 1942 to 1945 i do know from my mom and my dad that my grandfather was at Normandy then he went some where else and he enlisted in 1943

Edited by: matt89 on Dec 31, 2013 12:24 AM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings