Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Paging Bert May

billieburke

Much gratitude to other posters who have praised the extraordinary talents of dancer Bert May, who made many memorable appearances in countless classic musicals from the 40's to the 70's. This gentleman deserves more attention and recognition for his very distinctive contributions to film history. I agree with others who have posted about Mr. May that he should record his memories for posterity ASAP. He's had an incredible career and he worked with all of the greats.

In Mark Griffin's "A Hundred or More Hidden Things," a biography of director Vincente Minnelli, Bert May is quoted on his involvement with the MGM revue musical "Ziegfeld Follies." May is also mentioned as having appeared in a non-dancing role in Minnelli's "The Clock" (the assistant to the judge who marries Judy Garland and Robert Walker). Apparently Bert also performed with Barbra Streisand in one of the big production numbers that was cut from "On a Clear Day You Can See Forever." It would be terrific if Robert Osborne could chat with Bert during the upcoming TCM Classic Film Festival as May's moment in the spotlight is long overdue. I really wish we could hear from him now.

I am a movie buff, and especially love movie musicals but I have to admit I never heard of Bert May. I checked IMBD and in most of the films he has appeared in he is uncredited. So I am still not sure who this person is since I do not even know what he looks like.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings