Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Last Waltz

Did anyone else watch this fantastic film that was on Friday at midnight? I recall this film playing at theatres when I was in my late teens, but I never saw it because it was usually on at midnight, and I was never one to see midnight movies (I had a paper route that required me to get up at 5am every morning).

Anyhow, I was pleasantly surprised at how good this film was. I have seen quite a few concert films (The Song Remains the Same, Give Me Shelter, Monterey Pop Festival, Woodstock, to name a few) and this was was the best by far. I grew up listening to The Band on AM radio, but I never appreciated the overwhelming talent of the group until I saw the film, not to mention the respect that was given them by many icons of rock and roll.

Unfortunately, I went to sleep and missed 30 minutes (toward the beginning) of the film. I really want to see the film again so that I can check out what I missed. I truly hope that TCM will rebroadcast the concert film again. A film as great as The Last Waltz deserves to be headlined as a monthly feature film.

Yes, I saw this great film on Friday night. I remember when they filmed this. I was a young kid back in San Francisco, CA. and I wanted to go, but my mother said no, I was much tooo young. My favorite moments are Muddy Waters, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton and Neil Diamond (my favorite song-writer/singer). I always fall asleep waiting for it to start....lol. I do hope they show it again; maybe not so late at night.

One of my favorite parts was when Clapton and Robbie Robertson were playing complimentary guitar riffs off one another. How awesome was that? I never appreciated how good a guitarist Robertson really was until I saw him playing some very soulful lead guitar with Clapton. I agree that all the musicians you mentioned were exemplary, including Paul Butterfield, who laid down some great harmonica work on "Train, Train". I only wish he had played longer. Joni Mitchell was also very, very good. Perhaps my favorite song was "The Weight", which featured several guest musicians, including, I think, The Supremes.

I had to go pull my The Band's Greatest Hits cd out today and listen to it a couple of times. It's funny how much better their music sounds after having watched "The Last Waltz". I am glad to say that I have a newfound appreciation for the music and the legacy of The Band. Ultimately, I was saddened to realize that "The Last Waltz" was about more than the passing of a great band - it was about the end of an era in rock music.

I hope TCM treats us again with a rebroadcast - during prime time!