Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Red Skelton

optimusprime2

Well, Dark, I have to admit after catching her on SNL a few times, I think Lady Gaga is a very talented musician and entertainer.

(...however, and unfortunately, I'm ALSO starting to think her apparently biggest fan here on these boards is starting to go off the deep end)

True, but couldn't it be said that one as to be "sophisticated" enough to recognize certain "talents" as BEING "entertaining"?

(...hey, don't blame me here again...it was YOU who introduced that whole "sophistication" thing into this baby, remember?!) ;)

Nobody has questioned whether he was a good person. The question is how funny he was.

I'm not surprised Red was two-faced, but who cares if he was a good person or not? Hasn't it been the mandatory mantra here that a person's private life had nothing to do with their entertainment value? If it did, Lee Marvin would lose his SAG card.

Skelton was not funny. Period. Chaplin wasn't funny either, but at least he didn't have a treacly, cloying sign-off.

> but at least he didn't have a treacly, cloying sign-off.

Are you saying "goodnight" would have sufficed? And wishing God's blessing is "treacly" and "cloying"?

Well, if you're an atheist it might be. But it's hard for me to imagine four simple little words would rankle someone so. Think Red is not funny to your heart's content. But the sign-off, no matter how insincere it may or may not have been is poor reason for such animosity. And MUCH better than Lonesome Rhodes' famous sign-off!

Sepiatone

Ahem...sorry finance ol' buddy, but I think you've just "pushed the envelope" so much with THIS analogy that the poor thing is now lying in tattered pieces all over the floor. ;)

Though speaking of "Albert Einstein", I always have thought this comedian's brand of humor was pretty funny.

(...of course I'm speaking of the OTHER "Albert Einstein" known better as "Albert Brooks")

finance, you posted that Bob Hope was Woody Allen's favorite comic. So you wouldn't lump Bob with Danny or Red. That's what you wrote.Guess what, Bob Hope's favorite and Humphrey Bogart's favorite funny man was Danny Kaye. Think that over.

I love Danny Kaye. Can't say I loved every film, but he was a very talented man. I also love Albert & Mel Brooks, Larry David and Jerry, Steve Martin (King Tut routine still cracks me up) and Billy Crystal, WC Fields, The Marx Bros, Laurel & Hardy

(...of course I'm speaking of the OTHER "Albert Einstein" known better as "Albert Brooks")

In the Washington neighborhood where I grew up, the "other" Albert Einstein lived two houses up the street, and was a crotchety old geezer who was also a vocal anti-semite. One of life's little ironies.

>In LA, they send you to traffic school when you get a moving violation. I went to traffic school with Bob Einstein (Super Dave Osborne)

That's ironic, considering that Bob's first major success as a comedian was playing the reoccurring character "Officer Judy" on the old "Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour", isn't it.

"In the Washington neighborhood where I grew up, the "other" Albert Einstein lived two houses up the street, and was a crotchety old geezer who was also a vocal *anti-semite*. One of life's little ironies."

Only in the most twisted disingenuously applied use of the term.

It is used by offended Zionists to besmirch the integrity of prominent voices that dare to differ with them on key -for lack of a better term- "party" platforms, usually involving the establishment or extent of a(n) (the) official Jewish state and recognition and regard of such.

AND-

I understand train of thought and everything but really: How the heck did that become a relevant comment in a Red Skelton thread? Sometimes it's just fine to let the engine run out of coal.

*"In the Washington neighborhood where I grew up, the "other" Albert Einstein lived two houses up the street, and was a crotchety old geezer who was also a vocal anti-semite. One of life's little ironies."*

Only in the most twisted disingenuously applied use of the term.

It is used by offended Zionists to besmirch the integrity of prominent voices that dare to differ with them on key -for lack of a better term- "party" platforms, usually involving the establishment or extent of a(n) (the) official Jewish state and recognition and regard of such.

Sorry, but although I never heard this "other" Einstein's views on Israel, I heard him spout anti-Jewish comments right and left, using words I won't repeat here.

AND-

I understand train of thought and everything but really: How the heck did that become a relevant comment in a Red Skelton thread? Sometimes it's just fine to let the engine run out of coal.

Pure free association, nothing else. Sorry if I offended you.

"Sorry, but although I never heard this "other" Einstein's views on Israel, I heard him spout anti-Jewish comments right and left, using words I won't repeat here."

Are you actually speaking of Albert Einstein, the scientist?

Are you referring to Albert "Brooks" Einstein (hardly likely as he is just now moseying into "old geezer" territory)?

Or are you talking about another other Albert Einstein?

Because if you meant the latter I lost that particular train of thought as...

We started with Albert Einstein (The Relativity Guy) as, say, Einstein #1.

Then the actor/performer Albert Einstein (known as Albert Brooks, brother of Bob Einstein, often known as Super Dave Osborne) referred to as. (Dargo: (...of course I'm speaking of the OTHER "Albert Einstein" known better as "Albert Brooks")

Then your reference: "In the Washington neighborhood where I grew up, the "other" Albert Einstein lived two houses up the street, and was a crotchety old geezer who was also a vocal anti-semite. One of life's little ironies."

Are you referring to a THIRD Albert Einstein?

Because "Albert Einstein: Relativity Guy" wasn't an antisemite.

And free association doesn't bother me. In fact I wouldn't have gotten far in my life without it. But the eventual introduction of subjects like "antisemitism" on a film forum, in a Red Skelton thread of all locations seems rather jarring and unnecessary. Personally, when I freely associate in that direction, I check the surroundings and consider. Often I restrain from going there. You never know when some guy like me might take "offense". ;)

> the eventual introduction of subjects like "antisemitism" on a film forum, in a Red Skelton thread of all locations seems rather jarring and unnecessary

Buzzwords that pop up don't jar me for some reason. I tend to be relaxed, I guess. Knee-jerking - not as good.

Geez Andy.

I was trying to keep all the "other" Einsteins straight. Since the term had already been tossed around, contextually I probably wouldn't have had an issue if you wrote "In the Washington neighborhood where I grew up, *another* "other" Albert Einstein..."

I have no idea how old you are. No idea which Washington to which you refer. I know that Albert died in NJ and for all I know he had a residence in DC. And while I never heard him described as "crotchety" in his dotage he was quite the curmudgeon.

And *"THE"* Albert Einstein was alleged of being an anti-semite himself. Yes that is absolutely absurd.

You could simply have said to me in your first reply "No you goofball: The "other" Albert Einstein in this case was just some guy who shared the same name".

Since we're all being righteous, some edification: I am still fairly clever from time to time. But sometimes I miss things. Because I have MS. I have lost a lot of analytical ability, my semantic magic has deserted me, I suffer from lapses of cogency and cognitive function. I lost my job and my hobbies through the disease, one of 3 disabling illnesses I have.

Now- The posters on this board are not nearly as clear as they think they are. Often the writing is lazy and assuming, as well as arrogant and condescending. (Many posters who have not post counts in the thousands have mentioned that, but it doesn't seem to go over well, or I suppose it varies from member to member.) You had another chance to be simple and clear. Instead of your terse kissoff you could have simply commented "Yes- a third Einstein" but, no, you dismissed me with "And that's the end of my half of this conversation". Hardly a conversation when only one is trying to understand the other.

Before anyone makes an issue of it: Despite my lapses I still participate on message boards because I have little left to help me focus my mind. I have no money for other endeavors and precious little ability anymore for other past-times. So you'll just have to deal with my misunderstandings from time to time. And I will apologize if I feel it's necessary.

But maybe when a misunderstanding occurs some of you might consider if indeed you were as clear to the other person as you were to yourself.

My aphasia comes and goes. My mind is almost always battling it.

But sometimes I am still sharp as hell and at least a couple of my posts in these rooms reflect that. You'll find I can be just as arrogant and condescending as anyone.

Kid-

What happened between you and I I regretted and tried to convey so.

But my posts have been about movies.

Perhaps if you all spent as much time trying to understand the point I was trying to get across instead of being provincial and finding fault with what I write you might understand.

But as most of you are petty, arrogant sorts I'm not certain it's worth my time trying to be clear here. I've been dismissed by much higher quality people. I often wondered why these boards were not as active as I thought they ought to be considering the wealth and breadth of the material. But the fact is that for every quality poster that has legitimate insight there are a lot of self-important yahoos that like trying to make other people feel small, and will jump at conclusions, assume and pick apart posts inferring insult where none is intended.

I did that (the latter) once to you, Kid, but it was based on an assumption YOU made, so I wasn't nearly as apologetic to you as I could have been.

And DB- It was a "misunderstanding". While I could have been keener it wasn't all that CLEAR TO ME to whom Andy was referring. To me, in REAL LIFE, concerning the "real" Albert Einstein I am offended by those who label him an "anti-semite". I too try not to let my involuntary reflexes get the better of me, but we all have hotbutton issues.

Anyway, I'll just go back to other film message boards. I was just looking for another outlet. Imdb is active but horrible. This place? Forget it.

> And DB- It was a "misunderstanding". While I could have been keener it wasn't all that CLEAR TO ME to whom Andy was referring. To me, in REAL LIFE, concerning the "real" Albert Einstein I am offended by those who label him an "anti-semite". I too try not to let my involuntary reflexes get the better of me, but we all have hotbutton issues.

I appreciate that elaboration. I hope I didn't offend with my simplistic analysis.

Oh yeah, finance, you should have used him instead, I'd say.

Yep, Robert's line, "I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds", was a regular "laugh riot" and MUCH funnier than all this talk of anti-semitism. LOL

(...see what I meant earlier about that "pushing the envelope" thing you said?!) ;)