Find results in...

WHEN THE LEFT HAND DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THE RIGHT HAND IS DOING

AndyM108

Here's what I found on TCM's schedule for January 15th:

*Philadelphia (1993)*

*A lawyer sues his firm for firing him because he has AIDS.*

*Dir: Jonathan Demme Cast: Tom Hanks , Denzel Washington , Antonio Banderas .*

And here's Leonard Maltin's's review that directly faces it:

*D: George Cukor. Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, James Stewart, Ruth Hussey, John Howard, Roland Young, John Halliday, Virginia Weidler, Mary Nash, Henry Daniell, Hillary Brooke. Talky but brilliant adaptation of Philip Barry's hit Broadway comedy about society girl who yearns for down-to-earth romance; Grant is her ex-husband, Stewart a fast-talking (!) reporter who falls in love with her. Entire cast is excellent, but Stewart really shines in his offbeat, Academy Award winning role. Donald Ogden Stewart's script also earned an Oscar. Later musicalized as HIGH SOCIETY.*

No comment necessary, only a ;)

Wonder was Leonard Maltin thinking "Philadelphia" be turned into Broadway musical. A *very* sexual lady lawyer comes down with AIDS and gets fired??? Maybe Sharon Stone starring - that would be a load of laughs. (but can she sing?)

Edited by: hamradio on Dec 24, 2013 12:08 PM

These days you never know. There a musical called Urinetown, about the man who invented the flush toilet. My friend also saw a musical based on the Patty Hearst Kidnapping, (I don't see that many plays these days.)

Also there is Next To Normal which is about clinical depression, (I have a song from it on my Rhapsody account, Superboy And The Invisible Girl. It is heartbreaking.)

Sad. Typos like this are becoming all too common with people's reliance on computers. This is why intros on TCM aren't always accurate. I only blame the host for not knowing EVERYTHING about Hollywood to catch it Poke.gif

Has anyone read a book lately? "Spellcheck Typos" is what I call them. Ask any 21 year old to spell "flashlight"...

I've noticed fewer people actually care about accuracy and recently battled with an editor publishing a story of mine. An entire uncorroborated paragraph was lifted off the internet & inserted into my story!

(Philly is my favorite movie town, finance....I'll be visiting soon!)

There have been many newspaper and magazine articles about teachers complaining that "text-spell" has been creeping into student's assignments.

And why not should spelling get the short shrift? Kids riding in cars with their parents see stores called "Buy-Rite", "Rite Aid", "Kwik Stop", "EZ Credit", "B-B-Q", and flower shops selling "Bokays". It seems writing out things fully has gone by the wayside(wherever that is). In my case, just recently, during a family get together, a nephew was given a wad of cash and was asked to "pick up some Kentucky Fried Chicken". The kid actually replied, "Couldn't I just pick up some KFC?"

But as far as the thread topic is concerned, I too, blame computer reliance. Often when trying to look something up online, I'll type in that which I'm trying to get info on and will be led to a list of EVERY website that has that word in it's title. And NOTHING to do with that which I am looking for.

Sepiatone

> TikiSoo wrote:

> "Spellcheck Typos" is what I call them.

Eye have a spelling chequer

It came with my pea sea

It plane lee marques four my revue

Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a kea and type a word

And weight four it two say

Weather eye am wrung oar write.

It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid

It nose bee four two long

and eye can put the error rite.

Its rare lea ever wrung.

- Author Unknown

>Often when trying to look something up online, I'll type in that which I'm trying to get info on and will be led to a list of EVERY website that has that word in it's title. And NOTHING to do with that which I am looking for.

You must be using Google....results defer to those who have included certain keywords, paid sites first. That's why I prefer Yahoo.

Never heard of "Bokays" ugh. Why not just B'oks? The plethora of "texting" does not help matters. I often say to the kid, "When you use slang and abbreviations you always risk of someone not understanding you."

And finance, I love driving around Philly photographing movie theaters among other commercial archeology. (love Baltimore too)

Historical research often brings me to Philly (carousel history) but my biggest quest is to pay my respects to The Great One. Very difficult cemetary to get permission to enter-I've already made 2 attempts!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings