Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is THIS

sfpcc2

I've seen a lot of threads about what should or should not be a TCM Movie. Now I'm going to ask a question that is basically rhetorical. What is a THIS movie? (THIS being a channel that shows MGM films and others on newly created digital sub channels.)

I sort of have an idea, (a film that has languished on cable for years)

but maybe that isn't such a good description. All I know is people don't seem as protective of THIS as they are at TCM, (but maybe they are and I just don't know them.)

Just a couple of days ago, they showed One, Two, Three (1961) - James Cagney; The Misfits (1961); The Hallelujah Trail (1965). Earlier this year they had To Kill a Mockingbird about the same time PBS was running it.

All good films but (long) commercials ruin the experience. I like their selections as they'll have films you'd have seen on cable in it's early years as well as some post-war classics.

>All good films but (long) commercials ruin the experience.

And you've hit the nail on the head, Kid.

I think people really hate commercial interruption during a movie. We are spoiled watching TCM, it's the stuff we like seeing without having to tolerate what we don't like. I think that's why so many are protective, possessive of TCM-in many ways it reflects our values.

I'll have to check and see if I get THIS (doubt it) I tolerate a lot of rough public domain films on PBS because they are broadcast uninterrupted, although they show commercials in-between features.

I've noticed a wide variety of movies in both age and genres. Not "specific" in their programming. And yeah, TOO many commercials. I can deal with commercials to a degree. Grew up watching old movies with commercial breaks. But some stations show so many during the breaks, I often have trouble remembering what movie I was watching in the first place!

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings