Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THAT COSTUME DESIGNER'S POSTSCRIPT FOR "OUT OF THE PAST"

AndyM108

I'm sure I must be missing something, but what does Lucille Ball have to do with Out of the Past ? Not a peep about Mitchum or Greer, but instead a riff on I Love Lucy. What was going on there? I've gotta say that costume design woman has got to be one of strangest choices yet for hosting movies.

She did it after OUT OF THE PAST? She was talking about Lucy after THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS. Isn't there anything that could have been said about dressing Jane Greer, Rhonda Fleming and Virginia Huston?

Or maybe about Stevenson not dressing Maureen O'Hara in LADY GODIVA OF COVENTRY. ;)

AndyM108 says:

I'm sure I must be missing something, but what does Lucille Ball have to do with Out of the Past ? Not a peep about Mitchum or Greer, but instead a riff on I Love Lucy. What was going on there? I've gotta say that costume design woman has got to be one of strangest choices yet for hosting movies.

And what about that costume design woman's hosting of Silkwood! I can't see any connection whatsoever between costume (some call it fashion) design and the clothes worn by anyone in this serious movie about improperly controlled radiation contamination of the workers at a plant making plutonium pellets, and their rural, down-to-earth personal entanglements!

Is this TCM's idea of a holiday joke? A glimpse of the future?

musikone

P.S. I enjoyed the music in this movie, whether

or not the hosting costume designer noticed it.

Yeah, Andy?! Then what's all this I hear about YOU lately and your upcoming co-hosting duties with Bob introducing all those Errol Flynn Swashbuckler flicks, HUH?! ;)

You must have me mixed up with my cousin, Andym180 the pirate. *I'm* introducing the ceremonial burning of every Bing Crosby movie, followed by a screening of the last five seconds of every vintage Warner Brothers cartoon.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/15JssBJf1xo/maxresdefault.jpg

The point of the night was that some costume designers feel the goal is for the costumes (fashion), NOT be noticed. That when done right the costumes fits the character, time period and scene so well they don't create a distraction.

While the concept is interesting showing movies to promote the concept is ironic. i.e. watch this and tell me if you don't notice anything!

Like some presenters, Deborah Nadoolman Landis is probably more effective in person. She did a good job at the film festival talking about Jean Seberg's haircut and little black dress in *Bonjour Tristesse*, and how during the film Deborah Kerr begins dressing more casually as she tries to fit in with David Niven's life.

I wish she had used specific examples from *Silkwood* and from *Klute*. The mention of Lucille Ball after *Out of the Past* was strange; I was thrown by that, too.

Ms. Landis is very knowledgeable, and with a little fine-tuning she could present interesting insights about costume design.

I wish she had used specific examples from Silkwood and from Klute. The mention of Lucille Ball after Out of the Past was strange; I was thrown by that, too.

I almost wonder if this wasn't a case where a sleepy technician fed the wrong segment into the wrong time slot. It's hard to imagine that Landis could have been so utterly out of it that she'd fail even to mention the title of the movie that had just been shown.