Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Star / Location struck?!

KidChaplin

I was just curious how many of you are star struck when you meet a celebrity (especially someone you admire or is your hero) or when you are actually at the location or set of where something was shot?

I am fortunate to say I met Jerry Lewis after his "Damn Yankees" performance in Kansas City. I will put one thing to rest right now. There may have been times he is known to be arrogant or surly when it comes to autographs, but in my case, he was very happy to oblige! He signed my program just after stepping out of the stage doors to his car waiting outside. Did I forget to mention it was 10 degrees and a steady sleet falling while his WARM car was waiting? My pen froze up (I guess from waiting outside in the cold too long) and he pulled a red sharpie from HIS pocket and signed it with a smile! As a bonus to the autograph, he signed "Jerry" and then repostioned the program in his hand. When he signed "Lewis", he put his thumb on the freshly signed "Jerry" and left me his thumbprint! I have been floored ever since!

I would love to go to the sets of M*A*S*H and "The Rifleman" ranch at Malibu Creek State Park in California! Sometimes, I have looked at the Paramount and other studios lots on Google maps and think it's so cool to see the regular houses and apts. that surround them! A real "Wow" factor to pull out of your driveway and go one block only to have the entire Paramount Studios campus in front of you!

I know some people are not really star struck and look at celebs like any ordinary person that has ten fingers and ten toes like the rest of us and think a location is neat, but it's another piece of land. A friend of mine lived in LA and said that a lot of LA people are so used to seeing locations being filmed and stars out shopping and eating, they get desensitized (sp) to it.

So what about all of you??

Edited by: FillURHandUSOB on Dec 28, 2013 4:07 PM

Edited by: FillURHandUSOB on Dec 28, 2013 4:08 PM

I'm sad to say that the only "celebrity" I ever met was former Michigan governor George Romney( yeah, Mitt's Dad) while he was still governor. But I was 13, and just another face in the crowd that managed to find his hand to shake. And I used to live across the street from Denny Thompson, drummer for The MC5, and knew him before all that happened.

Living in Detroit, there's scant movie locations to mention. I've driven past many of the locations seen in BLUE COLLAR and BEVERLY HILLS COP several times, and used to live in Southwest Detroit at the time of the HOFFA filming, where Devito used the truck terminal on Fort Street for the KREGAR warehouse yard/riot scene.

Other than that, I got nothin'. I DO envy your Jerry Lewis encounter however.

Sepiatone

I managed to shake hands with Kirk Douglas at a book signing once. Years ago I also shook hands with Pierre Trudeau. That might not mean much to most Americans, but to many Canadians, as Prime Minister, he was one of the legends of the nation's political history.

Since you mentioned meeting Jerry Lewis, I recall once sitting beside a young lady on an airliner as we flew from Las Vegas to Toronto. She told me that she had lived in Vegas all her life, her father owning a bakery on the outskirts of town. She said that the baker at her father's shop had a few emotional issues and, for whatever reason, HATED (!!!) Jerry Lewis.

One day Lewis came into their shop and the baker, upon seeing that he was there, rushed out from the kitchen and threw a cake in the comedian's face. (Perhaps they were out of pies).

Unfortunately, with all the commotion that must have occurred at the time, the young woman couldn't recall what happened next. I assume there were no serious repercussions.

I don't know if her story is true, of course, but she was a charming person whose company I very much enjoyed and I had no reason to doubt her word. Sure wish I could have been there at the time.

On that same trip to Vegas, while sitting at a keno bar in Caesar's Palace, I suddenly saw a lot of people rushing over with pens and napkins to the person on the other side of a young lady sitting beside me. When I took a look at the source of the commotion I saw that it was Rodney Dangerfield.

The young lady between the comedian and myself turned to me and asked me who he was. When I gave her his name she acted as if she had never heard of him. I remember saying to her, "Go ahead and dump your drink on him. He doesn't get any respect anyway." Fortunately, she didn't take me up on the decidedly facetious suggestion.

Within a minute Dangerfield was up from his stool and trying to make a fast exit through the small crowd around him. I recall two things about the comedian. The one statement that I heard him making to his fans ("Give me a break. I'm just trying to have a drink") and the fact that he was not as large a man as he appeared to be on television, not nearly so barrel chested as I thought he would be.

I didn't actually meet Dangerfield, of course, but a friend of mine did. She was invited to spend an evening with him, in fact, at a Toronto hotel. My friend has met a fair number of celebrities, has been quite unimpressed by many of them (particularly Tony Bennett and Sammy Davis Jr.) and is very much of the "they put their pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of us" school.

However, she said that the one celebrity she did like meeting was Dangerfield. He spent most of the evening drinking (quite heavily) and telling her a series of jokes and one liners that had her in genuine hysterics.

When the comedian later opened a nightclub in NYC, Dangerfield's, he sent her an airline ticket so she could come down and spend another evening with him. My friend talked about the fact that Dangerfield had a wife who had some mental health issues (I had never heard this anywhere else before) and was institutionalized.

She strongly suspected that Dangerfield was lonely and that he picked up on the fact that she genuinely liked him as a person, and did not keep company with him just because of his celebrity status. My friend had a good time with the comedian and still remembers him with affection. In the midst of her happy memories of Rodney, however, there is a rather sad portrait.

>the fact that Dangerfield had a wife who had some mental health issues and was institutionalized.

They ALL say that!

I have met several stars I admire through the years, but will only approach them if they are "on", never a private moment, like dining. I'm always struck seeing the "real" person but try to act relaxed and cool about it. I just thank them for their excellent work & dedication and move on to let the next person by.

For several years I made public appearances connected with my job and got a little taste of privacy invasion. I really disliked the guy who would come up and either try to "stump" me with obscure facts, or worse, quote some long forgotten interview. Know-it-alls are tiresome. So I try thinking of what *I'd* like to hear from someone when meeting a star or celebrity.

And keeping composure when a stranger approaches you in the bathroom or trying to read/eat/converse with collegues isn't as easy as you think.

As for "locations", I actually research before I go on the road and photograph film locations or visit movie star's final resting places. It's a fun photo album, but sometimes sad to see whose been forgotten.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings