Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vernel Bagneris

twtpark

Every now and then, a screen character jumps out at you. It may be just a small part. Vernel Bagneris did just that in "Pennies from Heaven". He was billed just as the Accordian Man.Known now to audiences as the Judge on HBO's "Treme". Vernel was the best thing in "Pennies". I slugged through the prostitution the murder, the infidelity, the abortion, the wife wishing her husband would be castrated dialogue but Vernel is the one I remembered most of all.in this dreary some kind of a musical. Christopher Walken did a teriffic dance tho and that helped out a bit.

Too bad, Fred. Pennies From Heaven isn't an overwhelming success, but it IS a very good movie with lots of fine singing and dancing. It was, I believe, the very last musical made at MGM, and was so disappointing at the box office that they never tried another. I'm not a big fan of musicals, but this one is a goodie, and you missed it! In comparison, Bing Crosby is a bore.

I saw *Pennies from Heaven* when it came out. I was slightly disappointed -- I thought it would be more like Dennis Potter's TV mini-series. But I enjoyed the film, and particularly the use of Edward Hopper's iconic painting "Nighthawks," which I believe is also used by TCM.

Btw, one of the very few actors of the classic period whom I really don't like is Bing Crosby (though I tolerate him in that hugely enjoyable film, We're Not Dressing ).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings