Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Calling all techno-geeks!

Sepiatone

No big deal, but just curious...

Sometimes, but not always, there seems to be a "sync" problem with TCM on my TV. It also happens with METV. The audio will be out of Sync with the visual. You know, peoples lips begin moving before you hear them speak, doors will slam a split second before you hear it. No big deal you say? Well, out of curiosity, I checked the other sets in the house. The main set, the one with the problem, is controlled through my cable box. The other sets just have those "digital adaptors" hooked up to them. No "sync" problems on THOSE, just the main one.

What causes that?

Sepiatone

The only sync problem I noticed is when I use my TV separately with the 2.1 sound system located behind the set or the stereo amp that is connected to any of the DVD receiver/recorders when watching local programming. l don't use the built in tuner but the HDMI/audio or video/audio out from the recorders because the HD set has bad sound. Early on I notice that if the HD TV's internal volume is turned up even slightly, I hear a delay echo.

That internal sound is never used.

You may need to cycle through the various audio settings available in your cable box's menu (assuming these are available in your particular box). If the problem is constant, one of the available settings could alleviate or eliminate this.

Sometimes this is caused by the (perfectly good) HDMI cable itself and can be corrected by changing your audio-video connections (back) to the three RCA cables. However, this may diminish picture quality.. or not - a last resort, I'd say.

> changing your audio-video connections (back) to the three RCA cables

As I don't have HD service( as of yet), there's nothing to change back to. However, due to the fact my connections on my TV set require all cords and/or wires to cross behind the full width of the TV from where the cable box and DVD player is, I found it neccessary to have only a video cable hooked up to the TV as those "three-in-one" cables didn't provide adequate sheilding. All the audio goes directly to my stereo reciever. This may or may not have anything to do with anything, but something I've not considered before.

I don't know enough about the cable box's functions to be able to "adjust" any settings, so I may, if the problem gets more chronic, have to call my cable provider.

Anyway, thanks for all advice and suggestions.

Sepiatone

>I found it neccessary to have only a video cable hooked up to the TV as those "three-in-one" cables didn't provide adequate sheilding. All the audio goes directly to my stereo reciever. This may or may not have anything to do with anything, but something I've not considered before.

That could be the cause of the problem.

Seems to me that some types and brands of electronic gear have their own internal "delay". Some have short delays and some have long delays and some have almost no delays.

It would be like using two garden hoses to wash your car, a short one and a long one. With the short one, when you turn on the water, it comes out sooner than when you turn on the long one.

Over the years I've noticed that some electronic gear seems to slow down the flow of the electricity going through it, causing some delay before the electricity comes out the other end of it. This could cause an echo effect if you have two different sound systems working at the same time.

You have probably noticed that during a Presidential speech, some channels seem to have a delayed picture and audio than other channels. That is because the quicker channels have fewer up and down satellite links. The channels with the long delays are using more up and down links, and their signals have to travel about 23,000 miles up into space and back again, during each up and each down link.

So, you are noticing the different travel time for light/radio signals when this happens. Light travels at the same speed, but it has further to go with the multiple up and down links. This is also why there is sometimes a long delay during an interview when the reporter is in one country and the person being interviewed is half-way around the world, which requires their signals to be sent through multiple up and down links.

>I don't know enough about the cable box's functions to be able to "adjust" any settings, so I may, if the problem gets more chronic, have to call my cable provider.

Most likely, there would be an onscreen menu as with your TV's set-up and general settings. Without this feature, yes, your cable provider may have to be consulted. Good luck ;)