Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does Anyone Have Any Plans For New Years Eve?

sfpcc2

Does anyone have any plans for watching on New Years Eve?

(For those not going out to any parties.) The Last two years I watched Rocky And Bullwinkle. This year I'll switch it up and watch Underdog. After that I have no idea except listen for all the gunshots in my neighborhood at midnight.

I'm going to REST and play some 45's! It's going to take me over a week to take down my Christmas decorations inside and out and box them up.

Like to ask an off topic question..does anyone still use the *classic* Noma Bubble Lights on their tree or windows? The original had a short slightly flatten base where the modern one are taller.

*Classic Noma*

a1232996389521dd7a6a9a03b92fb2e4.jpg

*Modern version*

127881509_vintage-noma-christmas-bubble-

I will probably stay home but living just blocks from 7th Avenue-our version of Bourbon Street-I can hear the partying from here. I don't like champagne so I'll be looking for that Spanish carbonated apple cider that you have to pop the cork to get to. Otherwise I'll mix some ginger ale and Moscato, put some ham and cheese on Triscuts and watch TV or my tapes.

I don't go in for the Black-eyed peas and jowls thing either so I'll use my indoor smoker on some ribs and watch some bowl games after New Year's Mass. Like my family, I wait until after Epiphany to take my decorations down so I get an extra week-end to enjoy the holiday time. it's quiet but I don't end up a traffic statistic.

WHATEVER YOU ALL DO, PLEASE DON'T BECOME ONE AS WELL! IT'S TOO SOON TO START A REMEMBRANCE LIST CIVILIAN OR STARS.

My wife and I don't usually go out New Years Eve so since she's a morning person who goes to sleep a lot earlier than night owl me , I usually do my own personal movie marathon well into the beginning of the New Year.

Usually it's a different genre each year. This time, since I love British comedy, everything from the sophisticated to the silly, I'm leaning towards the latter and plan to watch the "Carry On" films starting with the first and then in order as far as I can make it.

In case you're wondering, my wife and I do "pop the cork" at midnight, but since she's 100% Irish we do it when it's midnight in Dublin, which is 7pm here.

Low key stay-at-home. Watch the bowl game with Duke vs. Texas and some of the TCM "That's Entertainment" shows and maybe play a card game or two with my wife who will undoubtedly stomp me as usual. Our Holiday celebration was going to the Moab, Utah area on Dec.28/29 for two days of 4x4ing on designated trails and hiking in the snow covered plateaus, canyons, and mesas where we were absolutely and quietly all alone with nary another truck or person in sight.

I'll be at home,safe from the rush of traffic and police sobriety check points,and i'm gonna watch old gangster movies.Then i've got one new movie i want to watch again,the 2011 remake of True Grit.Wow,what a movie!! It isn't very often that a remake is as good,or maaaybe just a tad better than the original,but True Grit makes the grade IMHO.

I especially like the little girl (can't remember her name) who plays little Mattie Ross.Her portrayal of Mattie is light years better than Kim Darby's ever was.And Jeff Bridges portrayal of Marshall Rooster Cogburn is second to none,every bit as good as John Wayne,maaaybe a tad better.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!

Her name is Hallie Steinfeld. She got a nomination for best supporting actress. Earlier this year she was in Ender's Game, (didn't see it.)

Happy New Year and stay safe.

Last year the last movie I watched was called Vile. This time i'll try to be more optimistic.

My wife already commited us for some shindig this year, so I suppose I'll go. But I'm rather tired of the obligatory "we HAVE to DO something" celebrations on New Year's Eve, and long for the time I can just sit it out. I've found I can't tolerate crowds and noise as much as I used to.

Those bubble lights are something I recall my best friend from childhood always had on their trees, and thought they were cool. Never got a set though. Haven't seen them in stores, although I never really looked for them. They still make them?

Sepiatone

Her name is Hallie Steinfeld. She got a nomination for best supporting actress.

Thanks for the info.sfpcc2

She was only nominated?? She was robbed!

Geez,she should have Won the nomination.She was fantastic!!

IIRC she's only 14 yrs.old.

Edited by: jr33928 on Dec 30, 2013 1:28 PM

By the way, here are (at random, just came into my head) three movies with a New Year's Eve scene or theme that I enjoyed. They may not be for everybody, especially the first one I list;

*200 Cigarettes* : a young woman throws a New Year's Eve party, but gets anxious when she thinks no one is coming to it. She was just impatient -the party gets going right about midnight.

This will not be to everyone's taste, but I thought it was quite fun.

*When Harry Met Sally* : Ok, we all know this one. And I've always kind of liked it. Of course, the New Year's Eve scene is the big climatic ending of this much-better-than-average romantic comedy.

*Radio Days*: One of my favourite Woody Allen films (and this is really saying something, since I'm a fan.) Kind of like a Brooklyn version of *Amarcord* , *Radio Days* offers us Woody's nostalgia-imbued memories of his childhood in Rockaway, complete with a trip to Radio City Music Hall and the Orson Welles broadcast of the invasion from Mars. And it's got that great, evocative final scene on top of that nightclub, on New Year's Eve. The one with the neon top hat rising and falling while all the radio stars from the 1940s speculate on the future.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings