Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Costume Design in SILKWOOD

HoldenIsHere

musikone said:

And what about that costume design woman's hosting of Silkwood! I can't see any connection whatsoever between costume (some call it fashion) design and the clothes worn by anyone in this serious movie about improperly controlled radiation contamination of the workers at a plant making plutonium pellets, and their rural, down-to-earth personal entanglements!

Ann Roth's costumes in SILKWOOD were brilliant mainly because they do not appear to be costumes but rather the clothes that the characters are wearing at work and in their daily lives. The costumes serve the characters and the story.

The work of the hairstylists for this film is also deserving of praise. The transformation of Cher through costume and hair (and of course Cher's acting) is particularly amazing. The character portrayed by Cher went through many transformations as the script was being developed. At one point, she was envisioned as a rodeo rider.

I do agree that Georges Delerue's music score for SILKWOOD is noteworthy. The opening sequence as the characters are driving to work, underscored by Delerue's music, always pulls me in, particularly the use of the banjo.

The same thing was brought up about DOG DAY AFTERNOON. At first, I thought, "If the costumes were supposed to go unnoticed, why make a big deal about it?". But after giving that some thought it occured to me that I've seen many movies in which the clothing was all wrong. Styles that haven't happened yet and the like. Same with hair, objects( telephones, appliances and such), and even speech vernacular that don't fit the time in which the story is supposed to take place. If I noticed any of THAT, then NOT noticing the clothes in a movie might mean they got it right.

Sepiatone

Off the subject of costume design , but here is the wonderful opening title sequence underscore composed for the film by Georges Delerue.

(I guess it's not completely off subject because you can Ann Roth's costumes for the three principal characters in the video.)

>Ann Roth's costumes in SILKWOOD were brilliant mainly because they do not appear to be costumes but rather the clothes that the characters are wearing at work and in their daily lives.

I can't imagine these clothes being "designed". This is typical working class stuff that can be purchased at Sears, Wal-Mart, and K-Mart.

Hey, can I now say that my own clothes "were designed in Hollywood"?? :)

I can't imagine these clothes being "designed". This is typical working class stuff that can be purchased at Sears, Wal-Mart, and K-Mart.

Roth was designing costumes in 1983 for a film set in 1974.

With contemporary costume design for a relatively recent past era, the brilliance is that you don't see the design.

The same is true with the acting. The truly brilliant actors are those who don't appear to be acting. Unfortunately these actors are those whose work typically is not widely applauded especially by the general public and the "awards," who tend to favor recognizing "showy" work that draws attention to itself.

Hey, can I now say that my own clothes "were designed in Hollywood"??

Yes, Fred, you should say you're wearing "an Ann Roth original" if you wear a sweatshirt like the one worn by Cher in SILKWOOD. :)

>Roth was designing costumes in 1983 for a film set in 1974.

Working class people like the ones in the movie still wear the clothes they bought at Walmart 9 years ago. And its the same type of stuff the same kinds of people wore 20 years ago, and 50 years ago.

Kurt is wearing a 2-pocket snap-button Western shirt of the same kind that has been in style since the late 1940s, and I still buy mine at K-Mart or Walmart. :)

Silkwood-Streep.png

PS: I've often wondered if studios buy off-the-shelf common clothes for films set in modern or recent times, or do they design everything and make the clothes at the studio, even if the same or similar designs are available for purchase already manufactured? For example, do they design all the blue jeans for cowboys in films about modern cowboys, or do they buy brand names, or do they buy expensive custom designs from some company? Such as all the clothes in NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN.

>I've often wondered if studios buy off-the-shelf common clothes for films set in modern or recent times, or do they design everything and make the clothes at the studio

I have a friend who is a professional costumer and according to her, yes, they DO often buy "off the rack" often from used thrift stores. Recall the story of Frank Morgan & Baum's coat....guess it was always the case.

BUT, also realize everything a star wears has been professionally altered. Even Brad Pitt's JC Penney t-shirt has been fitted to flatter his body.

This is the biggest issue I find with the average joe buying clothes off the rack in stores-clothing almost _always_ needs alterations to make you look your best-even simple things like the sleeves or hem falling at your "sweet" spot can shave pounds or highlight your best features.

Walking through any mall you'll see 90% of people do NOT KNOW how to buy clothing (or underwear) that truly "fits" them. (or muffin tops or carpenter crack would be a thing of the past)

I will say that Kurt Russell's hair in SILKWOOD has a bit of a 1980s look to it although the film is set in 1974.

Kurt Russell has certainly aged very well over the years. He's the rare exception of a child star who was able to successfuly transition from cute kid to teen star to "sex symbol."

The real Drew Stephens (whom Russell plays in SILKWOOD) was described by those who knew him as "good looking" but he did not look like Kurt Russell.

The character that Cher plays in SILKWOOD is actually a composite character for a few people in Karen Silkwood's life. The name Dolly Pelliker was created for the movie. In reality, Karen Silkwood shared an apartment (not a house) with a roommate when she was working at Kerr McGee. I don't think Karen Silkwood and her roommate were close friends in real life. Also the real Karen Silkwood and Drew Stephens did not share a house, although they were a couple.

• 2 months later...

In any movie the dressing sense of the lead actor-actress also matters as many times a movie become recognizable to all through the dresses wore by them in the particular movie so while making any movie it should be kept in mind that the lead characters of the movie wear decent clothes .

Designer Forum Blog

Edited by: KristenJohnson on Mar 4, 2014 1:50 AM

Let's try again, this time with editing:

>In any movie the dressing sense of the lead actor-actress also matters. Many times a movie become recognizable (to all) through the clothing (not dresses) worn (by them) in that particular movie. So, while making any movie it should be kept in mind (that) the lead characters (of the movie) wear decent clothes.

This is why I hate blogs - the low education level of our schools becomes glaringly apparent.

Regarding that last line- what about indecent clothing if it fits the indecent charactor?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings