Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

La Pointe Courte (1955): Anybody watch it besides me?

roverrocks

Watched La Pointe Courte (1955) late last Sunday night. Fairly interesting French movie about two lovers pulling apart plus a rather more interesting glimpse of French fishing village life. Can't say it was a great movie but it was enjoyable to watch. Insomnia had me up watching it or maybe I was just thoroughly energized from watching the first episode of season 4 of Downton Abbey which I heartily enjoyed. What a soap opera D. Abbey is!!! About 103 separate plot lines.

I'd seen it before. I don't like it. The half with the couple (aka "The least interesting people in the world") felt like the kind of lazy parody of 1960s European cinema you might see on bad sketch shows. I described it as such to a friend as taking the famous shot from Persona of the overlapping faces and having someone say "l'Ennui."

But it is historically interesting as one of the first films to explicitly mix documentary and fictional film making, which would become a significant aspect of many filmmakers' works from the 1960s on.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings