Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New version of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly must be stopped!

SaveGB&U

I had heard awhile ago they were going to take some deleted scenes, redub the voice over work and add them to the film. I owned a copy (well two VHS and DVD) of the original version. Plus I had already seen the deleted scenes before. But as deleted scenes as part of extras. So I just assumed that this version would just become an extended version that was offered as an extra on new DVD/Blu-ray.

But a few days ago I was over at a friend's house and GB&U was on TCM. Ben Mankiewicz was the opening host, he talked about Leone and Morricone, but nothing about how this was a version with added deleted scenes. This is my main problem. That this new version will now become the only version shown. That what happened to the original Star Wars trilogy will happen to this film. That future generations will watch this version and think it is the version that is so beloved.

This version is fine as an extra extended version, for fans of the movie that have already seen the theatrical version. But honestly as I watched it, I couldn't help but cringe every time one of these scenes popped up. They are for the most part pointless, they hurt the flow of the film, the dialogue is awful and the voice over work is like an old Godzilla movie. It is cool they got Wallach to do his voice over, but you can tell it is his older man voice. And whoever did Van Cleef sounds nothing like him, it is just laughable.

Please don't make this version the norm. It will ruin this movie's legacy.

When you say "Please don't make this version the norm", who are you speaking too? TCM? Eastwood?

Anyhow, I agree that anytime there are alternate versions the so called ?original? should be provided as well as the alternate version(s). (note I say so called, because with a lot of films it can be difficult to determine what the ?true? original version is, e.g. The Big Sleep, since films were altered, sometimes within a few years by the studios, there were European versions, pre-code re-releases after the code etc? ).

Anyhow, did Eastwood have any say with this new version? If NOT I guess he doesn?t own the rights to the film. IF he does own the rights, than he OKed these changes and he would be the one to blame if this version becomes the norm for future generations.

The original should have been stopped! It's one of the few movies I walked out of before its end. I never bought into the "Spaghetti Western" format as they nearly all seemed to about how many characters they could blast in two hours and not about the moral conflicts that underpined our best Westerns. I can't feel sympathetic about this.

• 5 weeks later...

The original should have been stopped! It's one of the few movies I walked out of before its end. I never bought into the "Spaghetti Western" format as they nearly all seemed to about how many characters they could blast in two hours and not about the moral conflicts that underpined our best Westerns. I can't feel sympathetic about this.

Out of 600 +/- "Spaghetti Westerns" there are about 18 that are masterpieces.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings