Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mistakes in your Brandon deWilde biography

emelwhy

Brandon deWilde was driving a Ford Camper van, not a motorcycle, when he skidded on a rain slicked road in Denver and crashed through a guard rail and into a flatbed truck truck. Though he had indeed been appearing in a play in Denver, he was not on his way to theatre when the fatal accident happenend but going to visit his wife who was hospitalized at Denver General HospitalThese are well known facts and easy to check:

http://www.rememberingbrandon.net/upload/PDF%20File-Brandon%20deWilde%20Death%20Articles.pdf

It looks like Brandon deWilde's biography in the TCM database was written by a fan (albatros_1) and not TCM.

TCM encourages fans to contribute to the database listings. There is a statement at the bottom of the biograpy that says:

Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute. If you click on that button on the biographical page it will take you here:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/contribute/?id=46921|169710&name=Brandon-deWilde

So, if you are so inclined, you can contribute to his biographical page.

>lzcutter, does TCM have the rights to BLUE DENIM?

It hasn't been on the channel in awhile (maybe even a couple of years) so I would imagine they would have to talk to Fox and see if it was available for rent and then see if they could work out a price.

They might also see if they could rent the film as part of a package of rented Fox films.

BLUE DENIM had controversial subject matter when it came out. Old hat stuff now. But it was well presented, and Brandon showed he was no longer the "cute little kid" actor anymore and had mean chops. When he was first reported dead, the rumor going around was that he commited suicide. At least, around MY parts it was.

Sepiatone

In the play BLUE DENIM (from which the movie was adapted) the girl actually does have the abortion so the movie did change that part. Nevertheless a pregnant unmarried teenager contemplating a then-illegal abortion was controversial for a movie in 1959.

The movie features actual teenage actors (with Brandon deWilde and Carol Lynley in the leads) rather than adults passing as teenagers, which was typical in Hollywood movies. There's a scene with Brandon deWilde's character selling his bike and BB gun to help pay for his girlfriend's abortion. Money is also raised by getting the deposit back on empty pop bottles.

I'm not so sure that it was typical for Hollywood (I assume you mean 'Hollywood' of the studio era), to use actual teens for teen parts.

I would have to see actual stats to back that up, but I can think of a lot of movies where actors 19 - 23 or so played teens that were less than 18 years old.

jamesjazzguitar, my point was that BLUE DENIM featured teenagers playing teenagers rather than adults passing as teenagers, which was typical in Hollywood movies.

Maybe my sentence structure was confusing but I meant that adults passing as teenagers in films was typical and that BLUE DENIM's use of actual teenagers was atypical.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings