Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Barbara Stanwyck's son

19 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

Well from the looks of things he died February 5, 2006. About 8 months after this thread was first started!

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/153811054/anthony-dion-fay

Interesting. And apparently he kept the added on name of Anthony for the rest of his life. I see there's nothing about whether he had a wife or kids. Only his famous parents are listed.

10 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Interesting. And apparently he kept the added on name of Anthony for the rest of his life. I see there's nothing about whether he had a wife or kids. Only his famous parents are listed.

I think it says he was divorced from a Rose Bywalski.  

3 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I think it says he was divorced from a Rose Bywalski.  

Thanks. I obviously did not click the 'Read More' button. Though no children, right? And no other marriages.

6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks. I obviously did not click the 'Read More' button. Though no children, right? And no other marriages.

I'm not sure about those but I would assume no if none are listed on the page. 

4 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I'm not sure about those but I would assume no if none are listed on the page. 

Why would her maiden name be listed as Stanwyck? That was a stage name. Shouldn't it be Stevens? Even if she legally changed it Stanwyck was not really ever her maiden name. She probably went from Stevens to Donner (Frank Fay's real last name) to Brugh (which was Robert Taylor's real last name).

I read the terrific Stanwyck bio A Life of Barbara Stanwyck: Steel-True, 1907-1940, by Victoria Wilson when it came out five years ago. I had already kind forgotten about Stanwyck and Fay adopting a boy in the five years since I read it. As I recall, Remember the Night is the last film discussed in the book and she'd been married to Robert Taylor for about a year at the book's end. Presumably, there will be a Vol. 2 one of those years ...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Why would her maiden name be listed as Stanwyck? That was a stage name. Shouldn't it be Stevens? Even if she legally changed it Stanwyck was not really ever her maiden name. She probably went from Stevens to Donner (Frank Fay's real last name) to Brugh (which was Robert Taylor's real last name).

And which ironically would become Major League Baseball's second most famous double-play combination after Tinker to Evers to Chance!

(...I hear, anyway)

• Haha 3
On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:29 PM, yanceycravat said:

Well from the looks of things he died February 5, 2006. About 8 months after this thread was first started!

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/153811054/anthony-dion-fay

WHAT HAPPENED?  & I didn't even know she had a son, duh on my behalf.  (TRIVIA: She had her ashes spread over Lone Pine, CALIF.

a grand actress & lady!

& was subjected to the prejudiced during "The Studio-System"-(circa 1925-60) of them nominating out & out comedies but not going so far as awarding them i.e. BALL OF FIRE

(P.S. this link didn't say what happened to him though?  Do you find findagrave.com of interest & informative? I';ve been using it since 2001)

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:11 PM, TopBilled said:

To topBilled, I've posted this a few times on here & elsewhere over 17yrs  But I used to be very close friends with what was easily among the finest people I;ve ever known GERALDINE PARKER-(l922-2007) & her husband went many yrs prior, but at one time they were involved in TINSEL-TOWN  He was a little uncredited punch up scripts writer  She had many photos to prove all of this & they knew Sabu, C. Bennett-(all hated her, but loved her sister  Joan) & more including Barbara when she was w/Taylor. Welp, one evening they were invited to dinner & arrived & Stanwyck answered the door with a fur coat on, tray in hand but completely nude downstairs, if you get my meaning & HAPPY TOO!

By the way, like ever so many ladies back then both my own grandmother & Geri just adored *GABLE!  Though she never met him

• Like 1

it is interesting when you realize that barbara stanwyck played an adoption agency official in The Wilder Years with James Cagney. I found her performance in that very heartfelt and one of her most humanitarian roles.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

it is interesting when you realize that barbara stanwyck played an adoption agency official in The Wilder Years with James Cagney. I found her performance in that very heartfelt and one of her most humanitarian roles.

Yes, indeed, very ironic. Thanks for pointing that out. 

Michael Landon is also in THESE WILDER YEARS. And I believe he adopted his first wife's son around this time.

• Like 1

Shortly after I started posting here, I became friends with another poster whose name was Terry. ... And his stories could have been made up, but I don't think they were because his "inside" scoops always seemed plausible and helped explain some things about Barbara.

TopBilled, much of Terry's info that you relayed (in your 6-17-18 post) is included in a People mag article (Nov 25 1985) about Miss S., on the Wikipedia page about her, and in a 2012 bio by Dan Callahan. I mean no disrespect by writing that and I apologize if I've caused offense. But I mention it because I'm not sure that he's credible, and it's unfair to Dion to let the ''bad seed'' characterization go unchallenged.

I have yet to encounter a kid who was born bad, but I've encountered many self- and other-destructive humans who were raised by toxic parents. Anyone with even the slightest knowledge of early-childhood development knows that insecure or insufficient attachment with the primary carer (in the past, that was virtually always the mother) leads to a host of problems that last a lifetime. I have maximum respect for Miss S. as an actress and as a person who survived/succeeded despite phenomenal hardship and deprivation -- and also I'm positive that she was ill-equipped to provide healthy parenting. (For ex., her staunch support of Ayn Rand's beliefs -- which allow no room for empathy, for compassion, and for the great variation in human neediness -- is troubling.)

We know far too little about Dion's childhood to allow anonymous-Terry's assertion to be taken as something authoritative. Thanks.

6 hours ago, DW99 said:

TopBilled, much of Terry's info that you relayed (in your 6-17-18 post) is included in a People mag article (Nov 25 1985) about Miss S., on the Wikipedia page about her, and in a 2012 bio by Dan Callahan. I mean no disrespect by writing that and I apologize if I've caused offense. But I mention it because I'm not sure that he's credible, and it's unfair to Dion to let the ''bad seed'' characterization go unchallenged.

I have yet to encounter a kid who was born bad, but I've encountered many self- and other-destructive humans who were raised by toxic parents. Anyone with even the slightest knowledge of early-childhood development knows that insecure or insufficient attachment with the primary carer (in the past, that was virtually always the mother) leads to a host of problems that last a lifetime. I have maximum respect for Miss S. as an actress and as a person who survived/succeeded despite phenomenal hardship and deprivation -- and also I'm positive that she was ill-equipped to provide healthy parenting. (For ex., her staunch support of Ayn Rand's beliefs -- which allow no room for empathy, for compassion, and for the great variation in human neediness -- is troubling.)

We know far too little about Dion's childhood to allow anonymous-Terry's assertion to be taken as something authoritative. Thanks.

Well "Terry" or whoever he was talked about more than just Dion as I delineated in the earlier post. So he must have been very well read on different aspects of her life or else actually knew her. 

I appreciate your saying that it's unfair to let the bad seed characterization go unchallenged...but in your next paragraph you say Stanwyck was ill-equipped to provide healthy parenting. Why should we let that go unchallenged? As with all things the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle-- he might have been very badly behaved and she might not have handled it correctly.

• Like 1
On 6/19/2018 at 9:02 AM, spence said:

& on that note, I read a lot that *"THE KING: GABLE'S" son William is neck deep nowadays in drugs, who knows the truth on here?

Both Clark Gable's son and grandson have had some run-ins with the law. The grandson James Clark Gable hosted "Cheaters" for a few seasons. John Clark, the son resembles his mother Kay Williams Gable.

But the grandson, James Clark, has an unbelievable resemblance to Clark Gable.  You got to check it out!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Does the new Stanwyck biography mention her belief in Leprechans?

I just finished reading Carol Burnett's memoir and she mentions meeting Stanwyck in their Doctor's waiting room. Burnett was thick into a lawsuit with The National Inquirer and Babs assured Burnett she would win the case, "The Leprechans told me" claimed Stanwyck....and Burnett indeed won.

• 1 year later...

Hi I read the book Victoria  Wilson book. Contrary to what’s stated here, Wilson had very little interest in Stanwyck’s  love life. She was more interested in exploring the culture and times that Stanwick walked through particularly given her very rough start in life.

Unfortunately the book spends way too much time telling you every tiny little fact about anyone who crossed Barbara‘s path.. It’s tedious. As someone who has read quite a bit about early Broadway history, I found it odd that she would spend pages telling you about stage and film  rolls that went to other people. She also several times mentioned a woman who I knew would end up with the stage name Joan Crawford. The number of times that she came across Stanwyck in New York with  her earlier stage names, Wilson didn’t mention or tie any of those names together. I thought that was pretty shoddy work for someone who is such an esteemed Book editor at Knopf.

So it’s unfortunate Terry didn’t talk with Wilson because she did talk for several years with Tony, Stanwyck’s adoptive son. She also had conversations with a niece who lived in Connecticut, who at first  anxious about her but then cooperated. 

And  also I always find the anecdote about Stanwyck breathing in smoke during the Thorn Birds puzzling... first first The Thorn Birds was filmed in Southern California not Australia. Second, the filming of the fire scene was nowhere scheduled around any of stanwyck’s work, Her character was out of the picture at that time ,the character had died. There’s no reason Stanwyck would’ve been on set. And they didn’t film that until the very last filming of the show, because then they couldn’t destroy the set. Does anyone know was  she just there for the last day party or something?

here is a link to a very interesting interview with Victoria Wilson about her biography. It’s about an hour long. 

Victoria Wilson interview

• Like 1

I've seen the size of the Stanwyck book, but I haven't read it.  I'd heard that it desperately needed editing.

I tried reading a biography about Orson Welles, called Xanadu (or something like that) and it had the same problem as Victoria Wilson's Stanwyck biography.  The Welles book focused so much on the minutiae of every single person's life who had crossed Orson's path.  Who cares about the background of Orson's first grade teacher? Unless her background somehow directly influenced Orson, I don't care.   I didn't even make it to the Mercury Theater part of Orson's life because the book was so poorly written and edited. 

One of the absolute worst biographies that I've ever read is Stefan Kanfer's biography of Lucille Ball, called Ball of Fire.  It had so many errors in it, very basic errors that anyone who'd read even a basic biography on Lucille Ball would be able to find. 

And almost everything that Charles Higham writes is trash. I don't appreciate any biography where the sole intent is to discredit the subject using the most tenuous of evidence. 

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

...Who cares about the background of Orson's first grade teacher? Unless her background somehow directly influenced Orson, I don't care.  

Wait! You mean you didn't find it the least bit interesting that Orson's first grade teacher's name was Rosebud Amberson, and thus perhaps influencing his first two movies???

(...well, I thought it was anyway...interesting that is)

;)

• Haha 1

Here's a little blurb about Stanwyck and her son in a Time Magazine article:

Added by Speedracer: [Stanwyck & Frank Fay's] adoption of a boy, Dion Anthony Fay, didn't salve their aching marriage, and in 1935 they were divorced. A few years later she married swoonworthy actor Robert Taylor; they divorced in 1953. In time, the abandoned child abandoned her son. In 1957 Tony was arrested for trying to sell lewd pictures while waiting to cash his unemployment check. When quizzed by the press about his famous mother, he replied, "We don't speak." She saw him only a few times after his childhood. 

Re-reading this thread. One more thing I remember "Terry" telling me that I didn't post earlier was about Barbara's best friends. In her later years she was supposedly closest to Gary Cooper's widow Veronica and to L.B. Mayer's widow Lorena. According to him, she had a close circle of industry-related female friends. These might have been women who lived in the same community as her. Or else women she had come to know through the movies she made with their husbands. Barbara lived on Loma Linda Drive in Beverly Hills, and I've been by that house. 

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Re-reading this thread. One more thing I remember "Terry" telling me that I didn't post earlier was about Barbara's best friends. In her later years she was supposedly closest to Gary Cooper's widow Veronica and to L.B. Mayer's widow Lorena. According to him, she had a close circle of industry-related female friends. These might have been women who lived in the same community as her. Or else women she had come to know through the movies she made with their husbands. Barbara lived on Loma Linda Drive in Beverly Hills, and I've been by that house. 

As you might know here TB, and considering as you mentioned recently in another thread that you had friends who lived in Bell Canyon whom you've visited, the ranch in the San Fernando Valley that Stanwyck once owned and which she named "Marwyck" is located within a few miles of Bell Canyon. And so I now wonder if you've also ever been there.

Here's a nice little link which explains the history of the place which was renamed "Oakridge Estates" and has been called since, and once actor Jack Oakie took possession of it in 1941...

https://www.barbara-stanwyck.com/a-visit-to-marwyck-ranch/

• Like 1