Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OT: RIP Phil Everly

Sepiatone

At age 74. He and Brother Don were much loved by their fans, and much respected by other musicians and singers. They provided a lot of influence on singers and music groups that followed. If I could, I'd mention which of their songs was my favorite. But it can't be done, not on my part.

Sepiatone

Edited by: Sepiatone on Jan 4, 2014 10:29 AM

Sure does, Miles. I can still recall that when I went to buy a single of their's when I was but a wee lad, the record store I patronized, "Town and Country" music, I had to go through the "Country/Western" bin! But most considered them to be a "Rock'n'Roll" act.

Sepiatone

Next to the Louvin Brothers, the Everlys had perhaps the most perfectly harmonizing voices of any country-based duo I can think of. It's only fitting that they were one of the original inductees to the R&R Hall of Fame.

BTW if anyone hasn't heard the Sweet Inspriations' version of "Let It Be Me", he shouldn't deny himself or herself the pleasure. It was one of many Everly Brothers songs that were covered by other groups in a splendid fashion.

At one point the Sweet Inspirations were one of Elvis Presley's backup groups, but they went on to have quite a career on their own on the R&B circuit.

They did famously break up in1973 and were estranged for almost ten years, but reunited and were close again. Phil or Don - not sure which - said they were famous for their breakup less so for when they made up. Said they were closer than most brothers. One of the greatest evenings in my life was seeing them in concert after they were reconciled - beautiful voices still and what heaven it was hearing hit after hit live.

RIP Phil - what pleasure you and your brother brought to my life.

My late brother was an Everly Bros. fan right out of the gate with Bye Bye Love in 1957. I liked them too, but it took me a little longer, like with their next hit Wake Up Little Susie, for me to get hooked. Good Lord, but they were great! Their music will live, at least with me, forever.

It wasn't just their top 40 hits, either. So many of their album cuts were equally as good.

So sad to hear this news.

Don Everly, please stay well.

bOb

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings